Friday, 6 December 2013

Review: Sworn to Conflict by Terah Edun

Title: Sworn to Conflict (Courtlight #3)
Author: Terah Edun
Release date: December 6th 2013
Publisher: All Night Reads
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: eARC
Pages: 217
Source: NetGalley

Ciardis Weathervane fought for the living dead and won. But worse than taking on a mass murderer, was her discovery that she had been deceived by her friends. Now she needs to not only fight a war in the North and survive, but also decide where she stands in the midst of competing sides.

A threat to all she holds dear lies in the North and her heart is not the only thing she might lose. A massive army awaits in the mountain pass, surging closer to the gates of the southern lands. Nothing the Algardis army has done so far has dissuaded their march forward and Ciardis finds out that her powers to enhance are needed now more than ever.

As she faces her greatest fears on the battlefields and her heart is torn between her love of Sebastian and loyalty to her family, Ciardis must choose her fate carefully. For in her path lies the destiny of the empire.

This series really does keep getting better! Sworn to Conflict is definitely my favourite so far, and I have a feeling the next book is going to top it. I devoured this book in one go, since I really couldn't bring myself to stop reading. The plot is jam-packed with action, and there are so many shockers that got my head spinning, especially towards the end. Everything's turned upside-down in this book, and a lot of relationship dynamics change.

At the end of Sworn to Transfer, Ciardis finds herself in the North, right in the middle of the war. This book picks up right after, where Ciardis has been unconscious for the better part of three weeks, her mage core being drained extensively. Ciardis knows there's something wrong at the warfront, and is determined to find out what it is while simultaneously defending Sebastian. But she soon realizes that Sebastian has grown into a man, and is quite different from who he used to be. Their feelings for each other deepen through their bond, their magic complementing each other. Ciardis also gets to know her brother in this book, and discovers who he's fighting for.

The focus on the kith continues from Sworn to Transfer into this book, and we get to meet a few very interesting ones. I especially liked the frost giant, Inga. She's tough and bold, and I'd certainly never want to be up against her in a fight! But underneath her rigid exterior, she really does care about Ciardis and does her best to keep her safe. We're introduced to another new species in this book - the Daemoni. I won't say much about them, but they're definitely intriguing and I'm eager to find out more about them in Sworn to Secrecy.

Ciardis is as headstrong as ever, and her stubborn nature leads her to some dangerous and astonishing discoveries. She's always felt alone in the world without a family, and the appearance of her brother means everything to her. She's desperate to find out more about him and get close to him, if only because they are family. I quite liked Ciardis's brother, Caemon, so I'm glad they finally found each other. At first I thought their relationship would be something like Clary and Sebastian's in The Mortal Instruments series, but it's really not. These two actually care for each other, and Ciardis's love for her brother is admirable.

I find myself liking Sebastian more and more as the series progresses. He's grown a lot since the first book, and Ciardis notices that. Though he still has a long way to go in terms of royal responsibilities, I loved that he finally tells Ciardis he'll always be on her side. Seriously, this line in context made me feel all tingly inside -
“I said ‘always,’ and I meant it. Through hell. I’ll be there.”
Sure, the two of them have their ups and downs but I know they can get through anything. Sebastian's power has definitely grown as well, and he's downright fearsome in this book at times! I quite enjoyed that.

Everything completely changes by the end of the novel, and the build-up of suspense on the very last page left me breathless for more. Sworn to Conflict is full of action, with numerous twists and the sweet beginning of romance. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and I'm really looking forward to the next!

*Thank you to All Night Reads for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I can't even tell you how much I LOVE this review Richa. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!