Thursday, 12 December 2013

Review: Pawn by Aimée Carter

Title: Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion #1)
Author: Aimée Carter
Release date: November 26th 2013
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: ARC
Pages: 296
Source: Publisher

YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.

I absolutely loved Pawn! A refreshing and intriguing dystopian, this book had me riveted right from the start. I love the concept, and I love Aimée's writing. I haven't read her Goddess Test series yet, but after this one, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Kitty Doe is an Extra, which means her life isn't that great to begin with, but after she takes the test and finds out she's a III, everything changes for her. A III is below average - she can't even lead a considerably normal life. And all she really wants is to be with her boyfriend Benjy, and for him to have a good life. She makes some rash decisions, and winds up in front of the Prime Minister himself, who offers her a deal she can't refuse. Kitty has to let go of her identity and become someone she never thought she'd be - a VII. The Hart mansion is filled with danger and secrecy and complicated alliances, and Kitty has to decide who she can trust and who she has to stay away from. But the things she discovers at her new residence leave her reeling.

The concept of this book reminds me a little of Airhead by Meg Cabot. You know, the whole identity change thing and the dangers that come with it. If you've read both books, you'll know what I'm talking about. Anyway, Pawn was quite different from what I was expecting, and I mean that in a good way. I found myself engrossed in the vivid pictures that Aimée painted of this world. The world-building really was great, which is something that's necessary particularly in a dystopian novel. I'm definitely interested in the direction this series will take.

I quite liked Kitty's character, though she wasn't my favourite by far. She's headstrong and smart, with a deep love and loyalty towards the people she cares about. She does make some stupid decisions at times, though. Especially in the beginning. But her character develops well over the course of the novel, and hopefully I'll like her better in the next book!

I really liked Benjy and Knox. Their contrasting personalities added a lot of interest in the novel. I tend to focus a bit more on characters than plot, and these two are definitely very complex ones. I would have liked to see more backstory with Benjy and Kitty, since this is one of the very few novels I've read where the protagonist is with the love interest before the story begins. There's quite a lot of romance between them, which I liked, but I did want to know where it all came from, and why they're both so willing to sacrifice everything for one another.

Knox is Lila Hart's fiancé, which means he's now Kitty's fiancé. And he's definitely my favourite character so far! He's really not what I expected. He provides a nice balance of humour and intensity to the novel, and he makes Kitty feel comfortable almost immediately. She knows instinctively that she can trust him, that he won't betray her. I'm not sure if there will be a love triangle in this series. There wasn't one in this book, not really, but you never know. Although I generally don't like love triangles, I think it might be interesting to see in this case.

There's another character I should mention, one I really loved too - Greyson, Lila Hart's cousin. He's being kept in the dark about everything, so he initially believes that Kitty is Lila. And it's clear how close the two of them used to be. Greyson is an innocent in this game, being deceived by his grandmother, Augusta Hart. But he's a genius - it doesn't take him long to figure out what's going on. I love his quirky and intelligent mind, and I can't wait to see more of it in the sequel.

There are a lot of shockers in this book. The sheer callousness of some characters is pretty intense, and I was left pretty much flabbergasted at some parts. Each member of the Hart household has their own agenda, and Kitty is right in the middle of it all. She's being pushed and pulled in different directions, and she realizes that she's just a pawn in a game she has no idea how to win.

Pawn is a delicious beginning to an awesome new dystopian series, and I'm already desperate for the next installment. The deception and betrayal and twists at every turn - all of it left me breathless. This book would make a great TV show with all the drama infused in it! All in all, this was a fantastic novel, one that I'm sure most dystopian lovers will enjoy.

A couple of my favourite quotes from the ARC copy - 
"You are more than the number on the back of your neck, Kitty. Never forget that."
"Never forget the potential one solitary pawn has to change the entire game."
*Thank you to Lisa Wray at Harlequin TEEN for sending me an ARC for review*

Rating: 4/5 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow... I have seen this book everywhere.... and every review is awesome. I haven't seen a single negative review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The characters and world sound amazing!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, yay! I'm glad you loved it sweetie :D I still need to pick up my hardcover. But hopefully soon. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!