Friday, 13 December 2013

Review: Othersphere by Nina Berry

Title: Othersphere (Otherkin #3)
Author: Nina Berry
Release date: December 31st 2013
Publisher: K-Teen
Genre: Young Adult Paranomal
Format: eARC
Pages: 320
Source: NetGalley

Dez thought she knew who her mother was, who she was. Thought she had friends, a boy who loved her, and a school where she finally fit in.

But across the veil linking our world and the next lurks a monster which can annihilate. . .or liberate her. Now she must confront it there with help from one boy who loves her and one who can't stand the sight of her.

Dez thought she understood her tiger form, her deepest self. But in this treacherous place, she'll have to choose between the two halves of her soul--and determine which world survives.

Othersphere is the third and final installment in Nina Berry's acclaimed young adult Otherkin series, which blends romance, fantasy, and action in a powerful story of friendship and self-acceptance.

The finale of the Otherkin trilogy definitely does not disappoint! It's action-packed, riveting, and full of suspense. I actually couldn't take my eyes off the pages. I'd really missed this world, and now I'm sorry to have to say goodbye to it and to all the characters I love so much.

Dez and the rest of the shifters encounter a new threat in this book - one they've met before. He's from Othersphere, and extremely powerful. Dez knows she has to stop him, but she has her own identity to figure out, as well as the pull she feels towards the world she came from. Also, her confusing feelings about Caleb and Lazar aren't helping matters at all. The shifters at the school are pushed to their limits in this thrilling conclusion to the Otherkin trilogy.

We get to see a lot of the Othersphere in this book, of course, and that was an intriguing change. From the first mention of this world in Otherkin, I'd wanted to know what it was like. And now that I do, I can't say it's a world I'd want to live in, but I would definitely love to explore it. It's dangerous, with hidden depths everywhere, and it's definitely mysterious. I think it was awesome that we get to see a lot of it in this book.

This book focuses on character development, which I think was amazing. Dez goes on a journey of self-discovery, and thought it's difficult, she manages to find who she really is and where she belongs. She decides that she doesn't have to feel like a misfit anymore. Dez is honestly one of my favourite YA heroines ever, mostly because of her toughness, skill, and ability to focus on what's important. But she's torn throughout most of the novel, between two brothers she loves and who love her back.

The only thing I didn't like in the book was the love triangle, because I love both Caleb and Lazar and there would obviously be a lot of hurt in the end. But I think that Nina Berry portrayed both boys at their best, and I loved seeing that. They're opposites in a way, but also very similar. And seeing them side-by-side is like a black and white painting with gray in the middle. They're distinct and yet some parts of them, being the same, blur together.

I'm amazed at how far Lazar has come from the first book. From being the antagonist to becoming the sweetest guy Dez knows. Lazar is kind-hearted, compassionate, innocent and incredibly gentle. He's nothing like the Lazar we saw in Otherkin, and I'm really astonished at his development. I admire his strength to defy his father and the values he grew up with in order to do what's right. And I also love how protective he is of Dez even though she's fully capable of taking care of herself.

Caleb is back, but he's obviously different. After the falling-out with Dez, the fact that he left made it hard on the rest of the shifters too, and they haven't forgiven him for it. But Caleb is still the same guy he was, and he still cares for Dez. He just doesn't show it for a while. Caleb is the only one who really understands Dez, and she knows it. Hell, everyone knows it. Their bond is something I've rarely seen in a YA book. It's something to be cherished. He knows that Dez is the only one who can control herself and that she makes her own decisions. Caleb accepts her for exactly who she is, and that brings tears to my eyes.

Reading Othersphere brought me a lot of heartbreak, but so much pleasure too. The characters are so deep, the plot so well thought-out. There are a lot of surprises in this one, things you'd never imagine. I'd want to cry at some parts, and then laugh and smile at others. Overall, the book is an emotional roller-coaster! This is one YA paranormal series everyone should read, because it's really one of the best out there. No pretenses, nothing on the surface. Everything's deep and raw and it just really stays with you. I can't describe it any better than that. So yeah, go and pick up these books if you haven't already. You won't regret it, trust me!

*Thank you to Kensington Books for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. I'm not always a fan of love triangles but it sounds like this book might be worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!