Saturday, 28 December 2013

Review: Fracture Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Fracture Me (Shatter Me #2.5)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Release date: December 17th 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: eBook
Pages: 60

In this electrifying sixty-page companion novella to the New York Times bestselling Shatter Me series, discover the fate of the Omega Point rebels as they go up against The Reestablishment. Set during and soon after the final moments of Unravel Me, Fracture Me is told from Adam's perspective.

As Omega Point prepares to launch an all-out assault on The Reestablishment soldiers stationed in Sector 45, Adam's focus couldn't be further from the upcoming battle. He's reeling from his breakup with Juliette, scared for his best friend's life, and as concerned as ever for his brother James's safety. And just as Adam begins to wonder if this life is really for him, the alarms sound. It's time for war.

On the battlefield, it seems like the odds are in their favor—but taking down Warner, Adam's newly discovered half brother, won't be that easy. The Reestablishment can't tolerate a rebellion, and they'll do anything to crush the resistance . . . including killing everyone Adam has ever cared about.

I'm Team Warner all the way, but I was still anticipating this novella, just so I'd have another glimpse into this world. But it's definitely not what I was expecting, and Team Adam fans may not be very pleased with this one...

Firstly I want to say that the line at the top of the cover is misleading. It should say, 'I Will Not Lose Him' instead. Why? Because in this novella we see just how much Adam loves his little brother, James, and he'll always be number one in his heart. Fracture Me starts off at a point towards the end of Unravel Me, and we get to see Adam's perspective of what happens. I've got to admit I'm not very impressed. The rest of this review may be a little spoilery so hold off if you're really against spoilers.

I began disliking Adam in Unravel Me, and I was a little worried that this novella might turn me back to Team Adam. Man, was I wrong! This one actually cemented my place on Warner's side. I really hated Adam in this. The guy we loved in Shatter Me is gone, he really is. It's great to see how much he cares for James, but I thought all along that he'd do anything for Juliette, and in Fracture Me, I realized how wrong I was. We see a completely different side of Adam in this, and it's in his POV so this is clearly the real him.

Tahereh's writing is great as usual, but lacks the poetic flow that we see in her other works. This is probably because she wants to show that Adam's not like that. Which is totally fine with me. In fact, her writing is the only reason I gave this novella 3 stars. Otherwise, my disgust of Adam would have knocked it down to 2. I can't really enjoy a book or even a novella if I don't like the protagonist, and Adam's thought process just made him all the more pathetic-sounding to me. One second he says he loves Juliette, and the next he's doing something that shows the complete opposite.

There were two things I really liked in this novella, though. One - Kenji. This guy really needs his own novella! I love him. He's funny and sweet and loyal and he can be serious when the situation commands it. Plus, he's got some kickass skills. Kenji made this worth it. Him, and the Ignite Me excerpt at the back! The other thing I loved is that I think Tahereh is hinting towards who Juliette ends up with. And what I saw in Fracture Me makes me very happy.

It's definitely important to read this before you get into Ignite Me, because there's a shocker at the beginning of Ignite Me which would make a lot more sense if you've read this novella. Overall, If Warner didn't charm you enough to switch sides in Unravel Me, this novella may just do that, out of a possible contempt for Adam.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!