Monday, 16 December 2013

Review: Erased by Jennifer Rush

Title: Erased (Altered #2)
Author: Jennifer Rush
Release date: January 7th 2014
Publisher: Little, Brown Young Readers
Genre: Young Adult Thriller
Format: ARC
Pages: 275
Source: Borrowed (thanks Rabiah!)

They thought they had escaped. They were wrong.

After fleeing the Branch with Sam, Cas, and Nick, Anna is trying to make sense of the memories resurfacing from her old life. At the same time, she's learning how to survive in hiding, following Sam's rules: Don't draw attention to yourself. Always carry a weapon. Know your surroundings. Watch your back.
Then a figure from Anna's childhood reappears. Is it a Branch setup, or could it be the reunion Anna has hoped for? Uncertain of where her loyalties lie, Anna must fight to learn the truth -- before she is betrayed again. Ultimately, the answers hinge on one question: What was the real reason her memories were erased?
Jennifer Rush delivers a thrilling sequel to Altered in a novel packed with mysteries, lies, and surprises that are sure to keep readers guessing until the last age is turned.

Oh. My. God. I don't even know how I can sit here writing this review, because honestly, I was completely speechless after finishing Erased. My friend and fellow blogger, Rabiah, got this book from ALA in July, and I completely freaked out when I saw it at her house! So she let me borrow it, and I devoured it immediately. It's addicting! If I thought that this one wouldn't be able to top the amazingness that was Altered, I was wrong. Erased is even better, if you can believe that! So much intense action, so much suspense, and so many twists and turns everywhere. I couldn't get enough of it!

Anna, Sam, Nick and Cas are still on the run, hiding from the Branch. But along with that, they're trying to figure out their pasts and recover their stolen memories. Anna is dead set on finding out what happened to her older sister, Dani, and she'll do whatever it takes to get that information. But is she prepared to discover the whole truth? All four of them are having flashbacks, and are remembering more and more. But what they discover leaves them even more confused than they were before. They can trust no strangers, they know that. But can they even trust each other?

I love how Anna's instincts have developed since Altered. She knows how to fight now, and she can even keep up with the guys when they run. She's changed quite a bit - physically and mentally. She's a whole lot stronger. But still as determined to find out about her past as ever. Anna gets some huge shocks in this book, and she discovers exactly who she was and who the people she loved were. Anna's also become a lot closer to the guys, especially Nick. I loved that! Because I really love Nick. Her relationship with Sam goes through quite a bit, but it's still strong. I want to say so many things right now, but I want to keep this spoiler-free.

I loved how much of Nick there is in this book! He's definitely my favourite character now. We find out so much about him, and he begins to change a little when he starts remembering his past. I felt so much for him when I was reading this. He hasn't had a good home life, and he can identify with Anna because of that. Anyway, his attitude is a lot more bearable in Erased, and I love his devil-may-care ways. Even though he's tough on the outside, you can tell that on the inside, he really cares about his companions. And he'd do anything for them.

Sam's still pretty much the same - kind of aloof, doesn't smile much, but still freaking awesome. He's so protective of Anna, and so sweet when it comes to her. They cross each other a lot, because they have conflicting opinions, but they care deeply for one another, always. Their relationship has some rocky bits, and I have to admit I didn't like that... But I love seeing them together.

One thing I'm a little sad about is that there was so little of Cas. I absolutely adored Cas and his hilarity in Altered. Don't get me wrong, he's there throughout this book too, with some awesome funny and goofy bits, but he didn't have as much of a role as the others. I did miss him in this. But I hope there's more of him in the next one! Because Cas really does bring the humour to a book. The atmosphere just lightens up when he's around, because that's how he is. He's just that lovable. Even Nick has to lighten up when Cas is around!

The stakes are so much higher in this book. The Branch are more dangerous than ever, and Anna and the guys meet some surprising people. The plot revolves quite a bit around trust and betrayal, partly because - surprise surprise - Trev shows up again, too. Don't worry, that wasn't a spoiler since I'm pretty sure we all expected him to show up sometime. One thing I really loved in Erased is the amount of flashbacks. There were quite a few of them, and they give us an insight into what Anna's life was like before, and what the boys were like before, as well. I loved reading those flashbacks. And Jennifer's writing is truly amazing. The pace is perfect and everything moves so smoothly. It's like a movie playing in your head.

This book, guys. This book will have you sitting on the edge of your seat, desperately devouring it as fast as you can because you can't stop, and yet trying to slow yourself down because you don't want it to end. The ending felt a little rushed to me, like things wrapped up too quickly and easily, but I loved it. All of it. I love this series so much, and I honestly cannot wait until the next book, a.k.a. Nick's book! There's so much of Nick in this book that I used to refer to this one as Nick's book. Until Jennifer called the third book Nick's book. So of course that made me even more excited for it. Anyway, if you haven't started the Altered series yet, you are really missing out. There's stuff in here for everyone - action, suspense, thrills, romance, humour. You name it. Erased is one of the best sequels I've ever read, and I found it absolutely brilliant.

Rating: 5/5

4 comments:

  1. Great review! You just made me more impatient for Erased to be released already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The books that leave you speechless are always the best and are such rare things to find! I'll definitely be checking this after your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, YAY :D So glad that you loved it. <3 I cannot wait to read it! So, so excited. But a tiny bit worried about romance now.. but glad you love them together :) Sigh. So excited to read this book. <3 Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't started the series but I've ben meaning to. I think your review convinced me to get my ish together and pick up Altered. It hasn't been my experience that book 2 in a series is really amazing, but if this is even better than in the first, count me in!

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!