Monday, 30 December 2013

Review: Champion by Marie Lu

Title: Champion (Legend #3)
Author: Marie Lu
Release date: November 5th 2013
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: eBook
Pages: 274

He is a Legend.

She is a Prodigy.

Who will be Champion?

June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position.

But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them: just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything.

With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.

“Billions of people will come and go in this world,” he says softly, “but there will never be another like you.”

Champion is a beautiful conclusion to an amazing trilogy, and I was in tears long after I finished the book. I admire Marie Lu for taking the book where she felt it would be best, and I understand her decision. It kills me to say goodbye to these characters I've loved for years. Day and June will always be two of the best YA characters out there, simply because they love so wholly and their youth doesn't hinder them from achieving greatness - both in each other's eyes and in those of their country.

If you remember how Prodigy ended, you know how heartbreaking it was. Champion starts off months after that end. It's been months since Day and June have talked to each other, let alone seen each other. But when June reaches out to Day on behalf of Anden, he knows he can't deny the opportunity of seeing her again. Day's condition is getting worse, and he can't hide it from June any longer. But no matter what, he'll do whatever it takes to make sure his brother Eden is safe from the Republic. Because Eden is the key to finding a cure for the plague, effectively stopping the war.

Day is hands-down the highlight of this novel- hell, of this entire series. We've seen him tough, strong, supportive and loved. But in this book, we also see him broken. And my heart bled for him. He stays strong despite the fact that his headaches are getting unbearable and he's begun losing his short-term memories. He loves Eden and June unconditionally, and he'll do everything he can to keep them safe. I loved him so much in this book! He's captured the hearts of not only the people of the Republic, but of all the readers too. I'm seriously going to miss his quirky smile and sharp wit.

My heart went out to Day in this book, but it went out to June as well. I empathized with her a lot more here. She's had to make some really tough decisions, ones that are the right ones but that cause her a lot of pain. I really look up to June, because despite her young age she's one soldier no one wants to cross. She understands where Anden is coming from, and I think she made the right choices regarding him. Don't worry, there's no love triangle in the novel!

The one thing I didn't really like was the amount of politics infused throughout. There was a lot of it, and it slowed the pace of the plot at some points. Due to the threat of war, Anden has to reach out to other countries, with his Princeps-Elects by his side. June accompanies him, but it's clear she belongs out there in the fight. I liked seeing Anden's character develop in this book. He's really grown into a man worthy of his title, someone his father never was. He's a good guy, and I like how he turned out.

The ending, though, is the reason I found this book so incredible. It's one of the most powerful endings I've ever read, and it's definitely something that will stay with you. I agree it's not really a happily-ever-after, but it's filled with hope and that's what matters. The hope in that last chapter gave me strength, and even though I started bawling after I finished the last page, it wasn't due to sorrow. Though some people may really dislike the ending, I found it satisfying and I felt it was right. The characters made the right choices in the end, and I'm glad for that. Thank you, Marie, for giving us these beautiful characters and story.

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. Hi Richa! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my Time Traveler's Wife review.

    I absolutely LOVED Champion! That ending had me in literal tears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning to read Champion AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I'd been waiting for it for so long but when it came out, I never had the chance to read. I'm glad you liked it so much! I can stand a bit of politics so hopefully I'll like it too. I've heard so much about the ending so I'm definitely ready to find out what this 'powerful ending' is!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!