Thursday, 26 December 2013

Review: Camp Christmas by J.K. Rock

Title: Camp Christmas (Camp Boyfriend #1.5)
Author: J.K. Rock
Release date: December 17th 2013
Publisher: Spencer Hill Contemporary
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Format: eBook
Pages: 91
Source: Publisher website

Hannah never meant to be a mean girl – at Camp Juniper Point or at her high school. It just sort of happened during one painful year when her parents split and her life fell apart. Who knew being mad at the world would catapult her to popularity? But since changing the status quo would make her some serious enemies, she’s prepared to ride out her time until graduation. That is, until a camp friend calls her on the act during their school ski trip. Will Julian out her to her friends? Or will the guy she once accused of being King of the Nerds make her wish she was a whole lot more like him?







Camp Christmas is the perfect holiday read! It's fun, sweet, and definitely dramatic. I was initially hesitant about reading this because I wasn't a fan of the protagonist, Hannah, but she totally won me over in this novella. We get to know why she is the way she is, and she gets her happy ending too. If you've read Camp Boyfriend, you've got to read this one. Even if you haven't, this works great as a standalone novella too, so go get it!

During the school year, Hannah's back at Northstar Academy, which is basically a school for rich kids. But what we didn't know before is that Julian attends it along with her. I loved Julian in Camp Boyfriend - he was hilarious and just so real. But I don't remember him interacting with Hannah at all, which is why it surprised me when I found out this novella features the two of them. Hannah's made Julian swear not to tell anyone at school about Camp Juniper Point, and they basically stay out of each other's way. Until the ski trip, where they end up being partners and Hannah realizes there's a lot more to the guy she calls the King of Nerds that she thought.

We still see the mean-girl Hannah in Camp Christmas, and she kinda bugged me at some parts. But I loved that we get Julian's point of view as well, because he sees right through her act and through him, so do we. I love Hannah's toughness and confidence, and her ability to not let anything or anyone get to her. Except for Julian, of course!

Sigh, Julian. He's my favourite boy of the series so far. Julian doesn't care what anyone thinks of him, and that is so different from most teenagers. He even had his cape on the ski trip! And it definitely came in handy. 
Say what you will about a cape; I’d be the only one warm tonight if we got stuck out here.
My eyes slid to Hannah. I could probably be talked into sharing it.
That part cracked me up! I loved reading from Julian's POV because it's obvious he's not over his crush on Hannah, and that it could definitely be more than that. Just because I love Julian so much, I'll share a little swoon-worthy teaser.

He came closer. His lips landed on mine in a kiss I never would have expected. The contact was soft and sweet, gentle and unhurried. My eyes fell closed, senses focused on the feel of him.
I wondered if his heartbeat pounded as hard as mine beneath my gloved hand. But beneath my lips, he took all the time in the world. I’d been kissed before, but always with guys who acted like they knew what they were doing. There’d been sloppy kisses. Fast kisses. And hard, aggressive kisses that mashed lips on teeth.
Not Julian. His mouth teased over mine like a guy determined to get it exactly right. I felt dizzy from it and had to put both hands on him to steady myself.

I might be swooning over Julian a little too much, but I can't help it! He's amazing. I wish this was a full-length book instead of a novella, because these characters are awesome and complex and I really want more of them. This is the kind of novella you can re-read whenever you feel like, because it's short and sweet and you can't help loving it. I just wish it were longer. But I'll take what I can get! Either way, I loved Camp Christmas. Joanne and Karen have created some fantastic characters in this series and I'm really anticipating the next book.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!