Sunday, 1 December 2013

Review: Before We Fall by Courtney Cole

Title: Before We Fall (Beautifully Broken #3)
Author: Courtney Cole
Release date: December 3rd 2013
Publisher: Forever Books
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 281
Source: NetGalley

Sometimes, one dark moment is all it takes to turn your world black...

For 24-year old Dominic Kinkaide, that moment took place on the night of his high school graduation. One dark incident changed him forever. He's a hardened actor now, famous in the eyes of the world, but tortured in his own. He doesn't care about much of anything, except for losing himself in the roles that he plays.

23-year old Jacey Vincent doesn't realize how much her father's indifference has affected her. She is proof that sometimes it isn't one specific moment that wrecks a person, but rather it's an absence of moments. She's like a bird with a broken wing-strong yet fragile, as she tries to float through life, finding acceptance in the arms of random guys, one after the other... to fill the void that her father left in her.

Until she meets Dominic.

After jaded Dominic and strong-willed Jacey are thrown together, his secret and her issues create a dark and damaged energy that will soon turn their attraction to each other into an explosive storm.

Even though when the clouds have cleared and the dust has settled, both of them are almost obliterated... they've learned a priceless lesson.

Sometimes, before we fall... we fly.


I destroy everyone I touch.
I can’t destroy her.

Before We Fall is beautiful, dark, and incredibly riveting. It's very different from the previous books in the series, though. There are a lot of darker scenes, and Dominic is honestly the most broken and messed-up character I've read about. But despite that, I couldn't help liking him as I got to know him over the course of the novel. The characterization is amazing, and Courtney's writing drew me in like always.

Firstly, this book is definitely not for younger teens - it's clearly mature and there are some scenes in here I was really uncomfortable with. But after getting past those, I loved the book. I love how Courtney portrays Dominic's broken character so well. He just seems so real to me, and I found myself empathizing with him especially after finding out about his past.

Jacey is working at a party at Sin Kinkaide's house when she comes across Dominic. After they're forced to spend quality time together as part of a three-month community service, they grow closer, and both realize that there's more to the other than they initially thought. Jacey wants to save Dom from his demons. She knows she can. Dominic won't let anyone else come close to him again, but he can't seem to stay away from the breath of fresh air that is Jacey.

I was hoping this book would be about Jacey and Brand, initially. Their relationship in this book reminds me of Beth and Isaiah from Dare You To by Katie McGarry. So of course it broke my heart to see Brand's unrequited love in this book. But I'm hoping there will be another companion in this series, one featuring Brand, so I'll be satisfied. We get to see Gabe again in this book, and find out how he and Maddy are doing! I loved that. They have a little surprise too, which was really cute.

Jacey was pretty cool in If You Leave, and I was definitely excited to see her featured in her own book. She did annoy me quite a bit in If You Leave, but she was so different in this one. Jacey's grown mature, and she's actually really wise in this. I love her compassionate character and her fierce protectiveness towards Dominic. She does so much to save him, and the power of her love is just really incredible. She's also pretty tough when she wants to be!

Dominic is... extremely dark and enigmatic. Even though he's a famous actor, he doesn't like being around crowds, and does whatever it takes to get away from the spotlight. He's into some really weird and kinky stuff, which I felt pretty uncomfortable reading about. I admit I really didn't like him in the beginning and throughout the first quarter maybe, but I later started warming up to him as Jacey did. He's had a messed-up past, and he can't get away from it. It haunts him wherever he goes, and he can't let anyone in because of it. Until Jacey comes along, that is. I like how they're both so good for each other. They're definitely stronger together than apart, and they're so encouraging of one another. I loved seeing their relationship blossom.

One thing I found really cool in this book - there's a hint of paranormal in it! Yes, right at the very end. I won't say anything about it at all, but I think it was a touch of genius on the part of Courtney. It gave me chills, and also provided closure, both for the characters and for the readers. You'd think a scene like that wouldn't fit in well in a contemporary romance, but Courtney wrote it in amazingly well. So kudos to her for that!

I don't know if this is the final book of the series, but I sure hope not. I've grown so attached to these characters, and I adore Courtney's writing. I'm definitely hoping for more novels dedicated to characters in this world. Brand's definitely, or even Sin's. Either way, I loved this book and how different it was. Before We Fall is a must-read if you loved the other books in the series, as well as if you're an NA fan.

*Thank you to Forever Books for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!