Friday, 15 November 2013

Review: With Every Heartbeat by Melody Grace

Title: With Every Heartbeat (Cities of Love #1)
Author: Melody Grace
Release date: November 8th 2013
Publisher: Melody Grace Books
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 180
Source: Inkslinger PR

Rome. The city of young lovers, old secrets, and intoxicating new desire…

I thought I knew what I wanted in life. I thought my destiny was set. Then I met him, and everything changed.

Raphael is bold, passionate, and seductive. He sees something in me I never dreamed possible, and now he's determined to show me a world beyond rules -- a dance without limits. I want to trust him, but I'm scared. Because I know once I fall, there'll be no going back.

An innocent dancer. A mysterious stranger. As Annalise is drawn deeper into the romantic delights of Rome, she'll question everything she believed about her future. But with opening night looming, can she find the strength to risk it all? And will she be forced to choose between her one true love, ballet, and the new passion in her heart?

With Every Heartbeat is a sweet story with great writing and a lovely setting. I really wanted to love this one, and I really thought I would. But unfortunately it ended up disappointing me, for a number of reasons.

Annalise is part of a ballet group currently touring Rome, and all she really wants is to win a solo in the dance company, which would really get her noticed. Well, that's what her mother wants, really, so she can relive her prime days vicariously through her daughter. But when Annalise meets Raphael, a gorgeous Italian dancer, everything changes for her. She starts to question her desires, and begins to wonder if love is really worth everything she'd give up for it.

The major thing that put me off this book was the insta-love. It was so blatant, and happened way too fast. I'm not a fan of insta-love in any book, but in this one I just couldn't get past it. Another things is that everything falls into place too conveniently. There were so many things that happened just at the right moment and it wasn't realistic at all. Which is a shame, because I wanted to love this book.

Annalise is likeable at times; it's clear how passionate she is about dancing and that passion is quite contagious. She's also very driven. But her complete lack of confidence in herself annoyed me. She whines to herself a lot, wondering if she's good enough, and I wanted to slap her across the face. I got it the first time! Her petty jealousy also irked me quite a bit. And don't get me started on her mom. I totally hated her, and after everything she's said and done, I can't believe Annalise just forgives her like nothing happened.

Raphael didn't exactly have me swooning over him, either. I'm not quite sure what it was about him, but he's really enigmatic and I just felt like we never got to know him at all, just the surface. I'm probably going to keep coming back to the insta-love, because it was just so unrealistic. I couldn't picture it at all.

The setting of Rome is beautiful, and it really makes me want to go visit someday. I know zilch about any sort of dance, especially ballet, but the concept is unique and I think that was done well. Maybe the dance is one of the reasons I couldn't connect with the book, so if you're into dance of any sort, this one might be for you, because it unfortunately wasn't for me.

I know there are companion novels in the works, but I don't think I'll be picking them up. The secondary characters weren't present much at all, and they didn't intrigue me enough to want to read their stories. I did like the writing though, and I will definitely be reading Melody Grace's other series. Hopefully I'll enjoy that one more!

*Thank you to Melody Grace and Inkslinger PR for providing me with an ARC for review*

Rating: 2/5

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you Richa! I can see where you're coming from, especially on the insta-love angle. I will say, I love Melody's Beachwood Bay series. I am a big of her writing too- so I think you might enjoy those ones better. Thanks for sharing your honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!