Monday, 11 November 2013

Review: Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Sentinel (Covenant #5)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release date: November 2nd 2013
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Genre: Young Adult Mythology
Format: eBook
Pages: 268

It's a beautiful day for a war.

As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.

And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.

In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself.


I can't believe it's over. I really can't. Covenant is one of those series that just seemed like it would go on, you know? There was always a new book coming out, and they came so quick that I never saw the final one coming. Sentinel is an explosive finish to this incredible series, and one of the most compelling books I've read.

Sentinel picks up right where Apollyon left off. Alex is back in the mortal world, and has to deal with what happened to her with Ares. The first part of the book is mostly about Alex's internal feelings and how she's dealing with everything, and it's not what we'd expect. Of course, there's a reason for that which we find out later on. Anyway, there's another visit to the Underworld in this book, and we see a lot more of Seth too. Which was awesome. Alex and Aiden are as close as ever, and even though they have a few disagreements, there's never a rift. Everyone's busy preparing for war with Ares, and they have to resort to the one thing they never thought they would. And now they have to take the risk and find out if it paid off.

Alex was so inspiring in this book. She's grown so much from the start of the series, and that's really commendable. She's always been one of my favourite YA heroines, and it's sad to think this is the last I'll see of her. Alex is so tough in this. She doesn't let what happened to her break her. I admire her strength so much - both mental and physical. She has to make the hardest decisions ever, and she's only eighteen. That's a huge burden for someone so young. I do think she made the right ones in this, though. She's not as rash and reckless, though that side of her does come out sometimes.

And Aiden. Man, am I going to miss him. He's ridiculously supportive as usual, but we also get to see a jealous side of him on account of Seth coming back. That was quite amusing to me, actually. Aiden's still Alex's biggest believer, and they're so good for each other. We get to see more of Aiden in action in Sentinel, which just makes your heart stop. Seriously. I found myself picturing his graceful moves in my head every time he fought. In Sentinel we see the ultimate lengths he'd go to in order to be with Alex and keep her safe, and it's just.. wow. I don't even have any words for that.

Finally, Seth. I'm one of those people who never really hated Seth. I really liked him in Pure, and was really disappointed in him after. Especially in Apollyon. But in Sentinel? In this, I LOVED him. No kidding. He plays a huge role in this book, of course, and the amount of Seth time we get makes up for the lack of it in Apollyon. Seth's different, of course, but we get glimpses of the old arrogant Seth sometimes, which I really liked. I felt for him so much in this book. He's made some really bad decisions, but he turns out good.

I don't want to say too much about the ending, but I both love and hate it. Love it because it's definitely unexpected and it's the right one to an extent, but I also hate it because not every character gets a happily-ever-after. There are those who have made ginormous sacrifices, and one in particular that I'm devastated about. Oh, and Sentinel has what I think is one of the best last lines ever! Okay, my lips are sealed now.

So to all of those who love this series too - Sentinel will blow you away, and you guys should savour this as much as you can. I can also guarantee some tears, both happy and sad. So much happens in this book, and you're left hanging on to every word right up to the end. The first few chapters are a little slow, but the pace does pick up later. I wish I could know what happens to my favourite characters next, but I guess I'll have to leave that up to my imagination now, instead of Jennifer's. I've probably said this a lot before, but this is one of my favourite series ever, and that fact that it's over is still shocking to me, but it was a great finale. So I now bow down to Jennifer for giving us these beautifully complex characters and thrilling plots!

Rating: 4.5/5

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of the books following Pure. Is that crazy or what? I'm going to make time for it for sure and it sounds like the series wrapped up quite well.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!