Saturday, 23 November 2013

Review: For Real by Chelsea M. Cameron

Title: For Real (Rules of Love #1)
Author: Chelsea M. Cameron
Release date: November 14th 2013
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 229
Source: Inkslinger PR

Two people. One fake relationship. What could go wrong?

When virgin Shannon Travers gets fed up with her friends demanding that she find a boyfriend, she enlists the help of tattooed, mohawk-rocking graphic design student Jett. He’s more than happy to play along with their Fake Relationship, including the Ten Rules of Fake Dating that control-freak Shannon comes up with. Even if he likes to violate them. Repeatedly.

But what happens when Fake Dating starts to feel… not fake anymore? Will Shannon be willing to let go and embrace the first thing in her life that’s ever felt REAL?




I’ve read a couple of NAs before with the fake relationship premise, but Chelsea definitely put a unique spin on it with For Real. This is a fun and quick read, though maybe a little too quick! I liked that there wasn’t a lot of heavy stuff in it. And I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series. I'm hoping it will feature a certain roommate of Jett's!

Shannon is the only one out of her friends who’s still gripping her V card. Which is why they keep bugging her to either date or get laid. When she meets Jett by chance and he helps her out of an annoying situation with her friends, Shannon gets the idea of Fake Dating. She sets up rules, and Jett agrees. But as they start getting to know one another, they realize that what they’re doing doesn’t seem that fake anymore.

Shannon is pretty responsible, and really likeable too, despite her OCD-type attitude. I liked her narrative voice – it definitely sparked up the book and added a lot of humour. Shannon definitely doesn’t deserve the way her friends treat her, and I’m kind of annoyed it took her that long to figure it out. She’s really considerate, and I love that she really sees Jett, you know? They’re lucky to have each other.

Jett is definitely not what I expected. He’s tattooed and has a mohawk. You would assume he’s the bad boy kind, right? So flipping wrong! Jett is a genuinely sweet guy, and I can’t imagine someone described like him being so adorably kind-hearted. He’s funny and charming and you just can’t help falling for him immediately. So of course Shannon couldn’t resist.

What I didn’t like is the fact that this book is really short, almost a novella length. I thought it was longer, but the final third of my ARC copy was Christmas Catch, which is part of an NA anthology. So the novel ended way earlier than I was expecting. I wish there were more pages dedicated to getting to know these characters, because I really like them. I also didn’t really like the predictability, since a couple of the only large surprises in this book are glaringly obvious.

I did like Chelsea’s portrayal of Shannon and Jett’s first time, because she didn’t coat it with candy. She made it realistic, which is what authors should do. There was awkwardness, and it definitely wasn’t perfect. Because it’s not supposed to be! So that aspect is really commendable.

All in all, though this was a really short read, it was enjoyable too. If you’re a fan of NA contemporary, you should definitely give this a try. I still have to read Chelsea’s other books, but I love her writing in this so I’m moving those books up my TBR!

*Thank you to Inkslinger PR for providing me with an ARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great review. I have been curious about this book. I usually enjoy her books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!