Tuesday, 26 November 2013

Review: Bitter Sweet Love by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Title: Bitter Sweet Love (The Dark Elements #0.5)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release date: December 1st 2013
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 115
Source: Harlequin TEEN & NetGalley

Dez wasn't just Jasmine's crush. A gargoyle Warden like Jas, he helped her come to terms with her destiny—fending off demons and maintaining balance between good and evil. He was her everything...right until the moment he disappeared without a trace. It didn't help that Jas's father had just announced that she and Dez would one day be mated. Hard not to take that personally.

And now he's back, three years older, ten times hotter, ready to pick up exactly where they left off. But Jas isn't taking that risk again. Dez has seven days to meet all her conditions and earn back her trust. Seven days filled with terrifying danger and sweet temptation. Seven days to win her heart—or shatter it all over again...


“Nothing in this world is stronger than love. It should always be enough, no matter what.”
Bitter Sweet Love is an enticing prequel to what I guarantee will be a sizzling new series! I was ecstatic when I found out Jennifer Armentrout had a new YA series coming out, and jumped around when I saw this novella waiting for me in my inbox! I've read this thrice already, and it's still not enough. I loved the concept of the Wardens and demons, and it was amazing to meet these new characters.

Jasmine is a gargoyle Warden, living in a society with traditional rules. In order to mate, males 'claim' females, who then have a week to decide on an answer. When Jasmine's best friend and the object of her adoration comes back to claim her after three years of absence, she doesn't know what to think. Dez is adamant on showing her he's sorry and that he wants her. Jasmine gives him the seven days, fully intent on saying no. But as they spend time together like they used to, Jasmine feels things she hasn't felt in years, and the love and anger inside her battle for domination.

I've never read a novel about gargoyles before, and didn't know what to expect. And after reading this, I can say that they're now one of my favourite paranormal creatures! Jennifer gives us a detailed background of the Warden culture and the demon uprising, and we get to find out about how their society works. I love the originality of this concept. It's hard to find a unique premise for a YA paranormal nowadays, but Jennifer has got it bang on.

Jasmine is reminiscent of Jennifer's badass female heroines, which of course made me like her immediately. She's the fastest out of all the gargoyles she knows, and she loves flying immensely. She's also adventurous, brave, and determined. But Jasmine guards her heart carefully after it was broken by Dez three years ago, and she's not willing to give it away so easily again.

I absolutely adored Dez! How could I not? He's gorgeous, sweet, protective, and incredibly skilled. It was amusing but also really romantic to see how Dez used the seven days to win Jasmine back. It's obvious how much he cares for her, and we get to see that a lot in this novella. The chemistry between these two characters is undeniable, and it made the kissing scenes all the more hot because of it!

Another thing I loved about Bitter Sweet Love is that we get to meet the main characters of White Hot Kiss - Layla, Zayne and Roth. Well, Roth only briefly. But it was interesting to see how they interacted with each other. This novella is set a few years before the events of White Hot Kiss, so Layla is just about thirteen years old. Even in this, it's clear that she and Zayne care about each other a lot, so I can't wait to see that develop in their book.

All in all, this prequel novella is a delicious peek into The Dark Elements series, with a unique concept, striking characters and a spark-filled romance. I'm now dying to read White Hot Kiss! And I can definitely tell you that this series is a 2014 must-read.

*Thank you to Harlequin TEEN for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. I devoured this novella this week too. I absolutely loved it. I can't wait for White Hot Kiss.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!