Monday, 21 October 2013

Review: Three Broken Promises by Monica Murphy

Title: Three Broken Promises (Drew + Fable #3)
Author: Monica Murphy
Release date: December 10th 2013
Publisher: Bantam
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 215
Source: NetGalley

Commitment. That’s what I really want from Colin. Ever since my brother, Danny, died in Iraq, Colin’s done so much to help me, including giving me a job at his popular restaurant so I can leave my crappy waitressing job at the strip joint. But lying in bed with him every night to comfort him from his horrible nightmares isn’t enough anymore. I know he feels guilty about Danny’s death, about not going to Iraq, but I can’t keep living this double life.

I love him desperately, but he’s got so many demons, and if he can’t open up to me now, then he’ll never be the real partner I need him to be. I gave him a month, and now I’m out of here. If he truly loves me like he says, he knows where to find me.




OMG GUYS. Jen and Colin! I freaked out when I got accepted for Three Broken Promises, and started it almost immediately. And I devoured it in a day, of course! This is such a delicious book. I don't know what other word to use. Though these two don't have the same place in my heart that Drew and Fable do, I loved reading their story.

Jen's sick of relying on Colin for everything, and she feels like she's a burden on him. So she decides to hand in her four-week notice. But Jen has no idea what she's going to do and where she's going to go, and Colin clearly doesn't want her to leave. But he won't admit it. And until he does, Jen is set on her decision to leave. They've both been through a lot, and Jen has a huge secret she'd never give up while Colin can't get away from the demons of his past. The two of them need to figure out their lives before it's too late for them.

I loved Jen in Second Chance Boyfriend, and I loved her in this too. We get to know a lot more about her past, and I empathized with her so much. She's lost most of the time, but I admire her determination for independence, though her lack of it was a little amusing. Jen loves Colin desperately, but she can't be with him if he doesn't show that he loves her back. And at the same time all she wants to do is get away from him and the place that reminds her of the past she's so ashamed of. She's definitely got this incredible strength to her that reminded me of Fable. She's not as outspoken, but I loved her regardless.

I didn't like Colin much in Second Chance Boyfriend, and to be completely honest I didn't exactly love him in this, either. I did love getting to know him and his past, and I do empathize with him, but he frustrated me quite a bit throughout the novel. I wish he'd just tell Jen how he feels instead of being all moody and breaking her heart half the time! I get that he's not proud of his past, but then neither is Jen. Yet she manages to hold on to her love for Colin and focus on that. One thing I really love about Colin, though, is his protectiveness towards Jen. It's obvious that he'd never let anything happen to her, and that he'll always be there for her. I found that really sweet, even though Jen feels like she was being coddled.

We get to meet Drew and Fable again! And they're not just little cameos, they actually have things to say. In fact, it's thanks to Drew that Colin musters up the courage to make a move towards getting Jen. I love you for that, Drew! Fable's still the same bluntly honest girl, and it felt so great to see that nothing's changed. I felt so happy for them, now that they're settled in and having a good life. One thing that irked me about Jen and Colin is that they don't realize how much Drew and Fable have been through. Jen thinks Fable's life is and always has been pretty great and she's never had problems like Jen's own ones, and the same goes for Colin and Drew, when in fact Jen and Colin's issues in this book are nothing compared to what Drew and Fable have faced previously.

It was cool to see Owen too, and there's already a hint of the heartbreaker he's going to turn into. I can't wait to meet him in Four Years Later! I loved the chemistry between Jen and Colin in this book, and it was sweet to see how much they need each other. They've known each other forever, and they'll continue to discover one another. Monica's writing is addictive as always, and I'm really looking forward to the next book.

*Thank you to Random House for providing me with an ARC for review*

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!