Saturday, 12 October 2013

Review: Seven Day Fiancé by Rachel Harris

Title: Seven Day Fiancé (Love and Games #2)
Author: Rachel Harris
Release date: October 14th 2013
Publisher: Entangled Bliss
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 215
Source: Inkslinger PR

Angelle Prejean is in a pickle. Her family is expecting her to come home with a fiancé—a fiancé who doesn’t exist. Well, he exists, but he definitely has no idea Angelle told her mama they were engaged. Tattooed, muscled, and hotter than sin, Cane can reduce Angelle to a hot mess with one look—and leave her heart a mess if she falls for him. But when she ends up winning Cane at a charity bachelor auction, she knows just how to solve her fiancé problem.

Cane Robicheaux is no one’s prince. He doesn’t do relationships and he doesn’t fall in love. When sweet, sultry-voiced Angelle propositions him, he hopes their little game can finally get her out of his head. He doesn’t expect her to break through all his barriers. But even as Angelle burrows deeper into his heart, he knows once their seven days are up, so is their ruse.



Seven Day Fiancé is a quick and light read - it's the kind of book you can read cover to cover in a lazy weekend afternoon. I admit I haven't read the first book in this series, Taste the Heat, but since this is a companion novel, it can be read as a standalone. And after reading this, I think I might try the first book soon, and I'm definitely curious about the next one.

This is my first Rachel Harris book, since I haven't gotten around to reading her YA series yet, and I have to say I'm hooked on her writing! It really draws you in, and I was hooked from the first page. Even though I had a couple of issues with the book, there was never a dull moment or setback in it.

Angelle is in a bit of a situation - she's told her family that her made-up boyfriend proposed to her, and now they all want to meet her new fiancé for Thanksgiving. Since the name she gave them was Cane Robicheaux, it's him that she turns to, after saving him from a pretty uncomfortable night. Cane surprisingly agrees, but the week he spends with Angelle and her family begins to change beliefs in him that have held strong for years. Neither of them expects the week to turn out as it does, and the two unlikely matches begin to fall for each other.

This book is remarkably reminiscent of One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy - even the title will tell you that. There are of course key differences, but the premise is pretty much the same. That's one thing I didn't particularly like, because I tend to value originality in books, and this one sadly didn't have too much of that. But the whole Cajun culture aspect is refreshing, so that kind of redeemed the book for me.

Angelle is a sweet and likeable woman, though really innocent. No wonder she brought out a really protective instinct in Cane. She acts tough on the outside, but Cane sees through her vulnerability. Though I liked Angelle and didn't have any problems with her character, I just felt like she was missing that little spark that makes me root for a protagonist and empathize with them. Maybe it's because this is an adult book and I can identify more with YA novels since I'm a teen, but the fact is that Angelle fell a bit flat to me.

Cane is your stereotypical male-hottie-slash-man-whore, turned tame by the woman he falls for. I couldn't help but love him, even though he's another blip on the originality radar of the novel. Cane never saw himself settling down with a girl, but Angelle soon changes that. She brings out a side of him he's never seen, and she makes him want to be different for her. I liked seeing how much he cared for her. Even though he makes some douche-baggery decisions, he showed the kind of development I like in a book character.

One aspect I really appreciated in this novel is that it's not erotic at all! I've read a lot of NAs that border on it, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that this adult contemporary romance didn't have an overly descriptive sex scene. I also loved that there's always something going on - never a dull moment, like I mentioned before. It made the book flow more easily to me, and I think that was great.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this one, and I have definitely fallen in love with Rachel's writing. I need to check out her YA novels now! I liked the light feel of this book, and though it got cheesy at times, it's humourous and free from the heaviness of most contemporary novels I've read this year. If you're a contemporary fan, Seven Day Fiancé is a novel I'm sure you'll enjoy.

*Thank you to Kelly Simmon at Inkslinger PR for providing me with an ARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!