Saturday, 5 October 2013

Review: Earthbound by Aprilynne Pike

Title: Earthbound (Earthbound #1)
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Release date: August 11th 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy/Paranormal
Format: eARC
Pages: 346
Source: NetGalley


If love can survive death, are soul-mates eternal?

Eighteen-year-old Tavia is the only survivor of a plane crash that killed her parents. Grieving and lonely, she starts having strange visions; of a boy she's never met but feels compulsively drawn to. A boy who tells her to do things she never dreamed of.

Tavia begins to suspect that secrets are being kept from her, and that her kindly aunt and uncle know more than they are letting on. Was the plane crash really an accident? Or is Tavia part of something bigger than she ever imagined?

With only her instincts and long-time crush, Benson, to rely on, Tavia must decide where her destiny lies, and who with.


Earthbound is an incredible YA fantasy and yet another masterpiece from Aprilynne Pike. I devoured this one within a few hours, and was left begging for more. I’ve loved all of Pike’s previous YA novels, and I knew this one would be no different. In fact, Earthbound just reiterates how much I love her writing. She has her own distinct style, and that makes her so unique. I’m definitely very intrigued after reading this book, wondering where the author will take this series.

Tavia’s the sole survivor of a plane crash, out of 256 people. That can really affect a person, but Tavia’s different in so many other ways. She lives with her aunt and uncle who took her in after the crash, and all she wants to do is move past that tragedy in her past. But when Tavia finds herself a stalker and discovers hidden unexplainable abilities, she has only one person to turn to – her best friend, Benson. Tavia and Benson take it upon themselves to figure out what’s going on with her, but what they find is something they’d never even dreamed about. Tavia is in fact an Earthbound, and that calls into question everything she ever knew about herself.

Even if I think for ages, I won’t be able to find anything I don’t like about Tavia. She’s just really likeable, and easy to empathize with. I love that, because I’m a really character-driven reader. Tavia is eager to find out more about the man she’s seeing around, and about the fact that she can make things out of thin air. She may be afraid, but she doesn’t show it. In fact, she’ll take whatever risks she has to in order to find out the truth. I love her determination and independence.

Benson is another character I really liked. We see a lot of him, since he goes on the run with Tavia. They start out as close friends, but of course the inevitable happens. I did like that their romance was slow-building, though. I liked seeing how concerned Benson is about Tavia, and how he drops everything to go with her. He seems like a guy you can depend on, a real strong support. And I loved that he’s not some popular, hot-as-hell, eye candy kind of guy. Benson is a library intern, and he’s kind of geeky. It’s definitely a nice change from regular YA guys, and Benson is just as lovable as they are.

The love triangle isn’t really present in this one, but it’s introduced towards the end. And I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how it’ll play out, because Pike leaves no hints in this one! There are some pretty huge twists, and some giant ones that made me sit and stare at the page in shock. I love unpredictable books, and Earthbound seems to be the epitome of that. I admit I also liked the creepiness of some aspects. There are moments that would make you shudder at night in the right conditions, and I really admire the way Pike managed to convey that eerie sense without compromising anything.

Though the key premise isn’t something I haven’t encountered before – the whole reincarnation and fate thing is similar to that of Soulmate (Night World #6) by L.J. Smith, and the Fallen series by Lauren Kate – I was completely drawn in by it. It’s one of my favourite YA concepts, actually, so I really enjoy it when authors use it and modify it in their own way.

We are introduced to the fantasy world in this book, and there’s a strong world-building present throughout. I’m really looking forward to exploring this more in the upcoming novels. I adored this book, just like all of Pike’s other ones. I seriously recommend this book to everyone who loves a good YA novel, because this has it all. Beautiful writing, amazing characters, an intriguing world and shockers that will blow your mind. This is definitely going to be one of my new favourite series, and I’m already impatient for the next book. Don’t worry, though, there isn’t a cliffhanger. I really liked where Pike ended the novel; I think it was appropriate and satisfying. Though of course that doesn’t lessen my eagerness for the sequel.

*Thank you to HarperCollins UK for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

3 comments:

  1. I cannot believe that I still haven't read any of Pike's books. My co-blogger loved this one and I really must give it a try. Fantasy is my favorite genre so meting new fantasy worlds is always a pleasure for me. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Pike's Wings series and can't wait to read this - it's sitting on my shelf right now :) Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic! It's on my shelf, and I actually like the idea of the love triangle being introduced later on. I really want to read this soon, especially since it only took you a couple hours. I need something fast and original, and I really liked Pike's "Life after Theft." Great review, Richa!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!