Thursday, 31 October 2013

Review: Crash into You by Katie McGarry

Title: Crash into You (Pushing the Limits #3)
Author: Katie McGarry
Release date: November 26th 2013
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Format: eARC
Pages: 468
Source: NetGalley

The girl with straight As, designer clothes and the perfect life-that's who people expect Rachel Young to be. So the private-school junior keeps secrets from her wealthy parents and overbearing brothers...and she's just added two more to the list. One involves racing strangers down dark country roads in her Mustang GT. The other? Seventeen-year-old Isaiah Walker-a guy she has no business even talking to. But when the foster kid with the tattoos and intense gray eyes comes to her rescue, she can't get him out of her mind.

Isaiah has secrets, too. About where he lives, and how he really feels about Rachel. The last thing he needs is to get tangled up with a rich girl who wants to slum it on the south side for kicks-no matter how angelic she might look.

But when their shared love of street racing puts both their lives in jeopardy, they have six weeks to come up with a way out. Six weeks to discover just how far they'll go to save each other.

I just finished this book and my feelings are still all over the place. Crash into You is definitely my favourite of the series so far! Isaiah has always intrigued me, so of course I adored him in this book. Especially since we see a different side of him. The sparks that ignite between him and Rachel are evident from the beginning, and their developing relationship was amazing to watch.

Isaiah is still hurting from the last time he spoke to Beth, and now Noah's in college and Isaiah's still stuck where he is. He still lives with Noah, though. But when he needs rent money, he resorts to illegal street racing, which is where he sees and rescues Rachel. Rachel's existence centres around one person - her mom. She's essentially her dead sister's replacement, and she hates that. Rachel loves cars, but has to hide it from her family that expects her to follow in her sister Colleen's footsteps. But she rebels. And it brings her a lot of trouble, but also brings her right to Isaiah.

I loved Isaiah so much in this book! Though Noah is still my favourite, Isaiah is a close second. It amazes me that he's so tough on the outside but has such a kind and loyal heart. His piercings and tattoos are part of him, and I love that, but they hide what's within. Something Rachel finds out soon enough, and of course she can't help but fall for him. Isaiah's as messed up as Noah and Beth were, but there's a difference. Noah had his younger brothers, and Beth had her uncle. While Isaiah's alone, except for his mother who just got out of jail. I really empathized with him, and it's so great that Rachel sees the real him and loves him for it. We also get to see Isaiah's protective side, and man is it strong! He'd do anything to keep Rachel safe, and the intensity of his feelings for her shocked even me. I think that Isaiah just needs to take care of someone and protect them, and Beth just wasn't that girl. But he knows that Rachel is, and his love and concern for her is so admirable.

I found that I really connected with Rachel throughout the book, despite my total lack of knowledge about cars! Rachel has four older brothers, all of whom are really overprotective. Rachel's suffered from panic attacks that have landed her in the hospital before, and her family doesn't want to lose the only daughter they have left. It's explicitly stated that Rachel is Colleen's replacement, and I feel so much anger on her behalf. The song Numb by Linkin Park really describes her situation with her mom and Colleen, so listen to that when you read this! Rachel just wants to embrace who she is and her love of cars, but she's afraid of disappointing her family. I was so glad when Isaiah found her and she found someone she could talk to about cars, since they both share the same love. I admire Rachel's inner strength and her desire for independence. She doesn't like being seen as weak and needed to be protected. And her determination is so strong.

I have really conflicted feelings about Rachel's dysfunctional family. I pretty much despise her parents, and at times her brothers too. No one understands her. Her whole family will do whatever it takes to keep her mom happy, disregarding everything else. I get that her brothers are protective of her, but sometimes they went a bit overboard. I really do like Ethan and West, though. Ethan is an awesome twin brother, and he makes me wish I had one too. Though he does treat Rachel as weak and fragile sometimes, I like the way he always looks out for her. West is pretty awesome too, with his humour and baseball cap. Even though he bugged me at times, it's obvious how much he loves his sister. And I'm definitely looking forward to his story in Take Me On!

Crash into You is definitely more dangerous than its predecessors. It's more intense, and the deadline Isaiah and Rachel have makes the book even more riveting. I loved the drag racing in the book, since I've never read anything like it before. Katie's clearly done her research on cars and racing! I can imagine the adrenaline rush Rachel and Isaiah get from racing, and it seems amazing. 

Another thing I adored about this book - we get to see so many beloved characters from the series in it! Noah and Echo are ever-present and always there for Isaiah. He and Noah are inseparable, and their bond goes so deep. I also liked seeing Beth again, and I'm glad that she and Isaiah talk things out. We also get to see Ryan for a bit, and what I didn't expect is that Logan plays quite a prominent role in the book. I loved him in Dare You To, and we get to know more about him in this one. I must say there's more to him than I thought, and it was nice to see him and Isaiah getting along.

I realize that my reviews of this series are always insanely long, but that's because I have so much to say! I couldn't take my eyes off the pages. Every race, every kiss had me glued to this book. The race towards the end had my heart in my mouth and I had to keep from skimming ahead to find out what happens. There was also a point where I was scared to death, but I won't say anything more than this - there are a lot of close shaves throughout the novel. Too close. But you'll be glad to know that Isaiah does get his happily-ever-after, and that's all I wanted. Now for the torturous wait until Take Me On comes out!

*Thank you to Harlequin TEEN for providing me with an ARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

5 comments:

  1. Don't you just love this book so much?! Yes! I don't know if it's my favourite out of the series because I just love them all so much! I can't wait for the next one. So so excited! Your last paragraph, yep, that just summed up exactly how I felt too, haha.

    Laura @ Music Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, yay! I'm glad you loved it so much :D I still haven't read book two.. but I'm going to, and I can't wait to get my pre-order of this one. <3 thank you for sharing your awesome honest review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I absolutely adored this book! Isaiah is so swoony and I felt for Rachel so much. I cant wait for Take Me On!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG YAY!!! I loved this one tooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! You said this book is more dangerous? I must read it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!