Tuesday, 22 October 2013

How Blogging Has Changed My Reading Pattern + Nerd Girl Problems!

Hey everyone and welcome to my FIRST EVER discussion post on the blog! I decided it's well past time to do one of these, and the first thing I thought of was how different my reading pattern is once I really got into blogging.
A list would make this topic easier to talk about, plus I seem very organized when I make one, so here goes - 

1. I tend to prioritize review books over leisure reads, almost all the time. 
You know when you have all those books on your TBR (some that you already own) but when you get new ARCs from Edelweiss, NetGalley or publishers, you just have to read them ASAP? And the poor old already-released books lay neglected on your shelves.
Well, this happens to me a lot now. There are so many amazing 2012 and 2013 releases that I'd been looking forward to but have yet to read because I want to see my review pile get smaller.
Do you guys relate to this, or do you set aside a certain amount of time for leisure reads you need to catch up on? If you do, let me know! I think I need to start with that.

2. I never get time to re-read books.
Before I started blogging, I used to re-read books I loved all the time. If I felt like reading a certain genre or series, I'd go for it. Since I started blogging, though, I've only re-read a handful of books, most of them because I need to remind myself of the plot before I read the newest installment of the series. Of course I don't regret anything, but I do want to go back and read some all-time favourites of mine. Maybe next summer, after school's over and before the stress of uni begins, I'll have time to do that!

3. I have gotten over my impulse to read the next book in a series the day it releases.
This one I'm quite proud of. Every time a new book in a series came out, I used to pick it up immediately because I couldn't handle the fact that other people would know the next plot twist or whatever before me. I think this impulse stems from the fact that a friend spoiled the ending of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for me the day it came out, since she'd read it as soon as she got it, and I decided to wait till the evening. And she didn't even know she did something so wrong! Okay, I'm digressing. But the bottom line is, I've gotten over it. Now when a new book in a series comes out (from this year, I've got Dead Silence, Dark Triumph, The Fall of Five, The Dream Thieves, and The House of Hades to name a few), I don't feel an impulsion to dive right into them.
Has this happened to any of you guys? Do you still have that impulsion, or did you never get it in the first place?

4. I read a multitude of different genres now as opposed to before.
I used to stick to YA paranormal mostly, and later on some dystopian. Never much of contemporary (apart from Meg Cabot) or fantasy (other than Harry Potter). Oh, and definitely no Adult or New Adult books. Though that's probably more of an age thing. But if I hadn't started blogging, I wouldn't have been introduced to a world of such diverse genres, and to NA books, some of which I really adore. So I'm incredibly grateful to the blogging community for this.

I think that's it for now, since I don't want to make this too long and I think I've run out of points to say.
Is there anything I missed that is really significant to you?
And how has blogging changed YOUR reading pattern? 
Let me know in the comments! 

On another note - I just went through all of the Nerd Girl Problems Tumblr (it's fantastic!) and I just had to share a few bookish ones I really relate to. Let me know if you guys relate to these too!





13 comments:

  1. Hahaha I love this post! And I love those Nerd Girl problems! I'm totally with you on those! There are some books I'm already wanting to reread (the Lux series for one so I can start Origin!) and yet I don't have the time! And it makes me a little sad. I love the review books I have on my TBR and I want to read them, but I also prioritize those over my other books I've been wanting to read. And it's starting to bother me a bit. You would think I would stop requesting books since that's the case! NOPE. Rofl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! And yeah, I can't stop requesting books either. I guess it's a problem all bloggers have xD

      Delete
  2. Everything you said is exactly me, haha. Especially the nerd girl problems, loved those. It's true that I tend to put review books over my leisure reads because I kind of feel like I have to. Then once I've finished them all, I'm like "omg what do I do with my life." Haha, it's not so bad now but there definitely was one of those points in my blogging life. Awesome post! :D

    Laura @ Music Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - review books have taken priority over my usual books now. Also, no longer reading new releases the day they released. Just don't get time - there is always another review book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. Just another reason to waste my time lurking on-line: Tumblr for Nerd Girl Problems. I can relate. I've started stalking NetGalley again so that's not a good thing for the piles of books I have at home.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about many of your points! The sequel thing is definitely true. My problem is too when I finally get around to reading a sequel, I've read so many other books, I totally forget the first one and don't have time to re-read it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, man, I agree with everything in this post. I definitely OVERprioritize my reads now, choosing to let things I was excited about months ago continue to sit unread on my shelf. If I don't get a review copy of a sequel, it goes on the shelf for awhile, too. :( But one good thing that's come from blogging is that I read all different genres now, too. Like, I didn't used to like contemporary novels AT ALL, but I've really come to love them in the last couple of years.

    Also, THANKS A LOT for introducing me to that tumblr. As if I needed another time suck. :D (But it's so true!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nerd Girl Problem #239 -- happens all the time!

    I say that I have a lot less time for leisure books too. I try to make time to read them when I feel like I don't have an ARC to read for a while. But it's hard, and it's the one downside to blogging, I think. Some days, it makes me want to request less books that come out so I can catch up on already released gems that I missed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those Nerd Girl Problem quotes. Those are awesome! I have made it a mission of mine to re-read despite blogging. I know exactly what you mean about not feeling like you have enough time to re-read. I used to know my books backwards and forwards because I would re-read them so frequently. Now there are only a couple of series that I can say that about. Even some of my super faves I haven't gotten a chance to re-read yet. Great post and thanks for stopping by my TTT earlier!

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  9. You, like me, are a Harry Potter fan and I, like you, can't see beyond it but since blogging I'm exploring too and I'm actually having fun at it. I tend to read less as well now that there's regular college and all, but I do make sure to squeeze in an hour or two of reading every day. Oh, and I face all those Nerd Girl Problems as well. Must say, I liked reading this post- great one!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blogging changed my reading patterns both in good and bad ways. When I notice the bad things I try to rebel against it. I've been wanting to reread Harry Potter but no time. Sigh. I still have the impulse to read books the day it's releases. Especially series enders. I couldn't resist reading Allegiant day of.

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the nerd girl problems and all so, so true! I usually end up going off into a total rant when movie folk ruin one of my favourite books! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!