Monday, 23 September 2013

Review: Unchained by J. Lynn

Title: Unchained (Nephilim Rising #1)
Author: J. Lynn
Release date: September 17th 2013
Publisher: Entangled Edge
Genre: Adult Paranormal/Urban Fantasy
Format: eBook
Pages: 400

Between the pissed off creatures that want demon-hunter Lily Marks dead and the fallen angel who just...wants her, Lily is about ready to trade in forever for a comfy job in a cubicle farm.

The fact that she and Julian are civil to one another is enough to have her thrown out of the Sanctuary, but she can't shake her not-so-angelic stalker or how he brings her dangerously close to ecstasy.

Her forbidden relationship with Julian provides the perfect fuel for suspicion when a traitor is discovered to be working within the Sanctuary. Lily quickly finds herself hunted by well, everyone.

Her only hope is to discover the real traitor before she loses everything--and she'll need Julian's help. That is, if Julian is really there to help her...and not destroy her.

Yeah, being a Nephilim isn't everything it's cracked up to be.

I'd been waiting for Unchained for over a year, since I heard about it back when I first started blogging. So of course I had to devour this one the day I got it. I literally read all of this in one go, the evening I got it! It's definitely very different from any other J. Lynn/Jennifer Armentrout book I've read before, which makes sense because Jennifer hasn't written this genre before. I think on the whole it's a great start to the series, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where J. Lynn goes with this.

I've always been fascinated by fallen angel and Nephilim books - Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush series is a great example. I love how Jennifer put her own spin on the norm. Lily Marks hunts the dark creatures that the Fallen create, and she's the best there is. But there is one Fallen she actually cares about, more than she should. And she has good reason to. Julian has saved her life twice already, and he's always watching out for her. But when there is suspicion of a traitor at the Sanctuary, Lily becomes a prime suspect thanks to her relationship with Julian. Things aren't so black and white anymore, and Lily has to make a lot of hard decisions.

Firstly, I really have to stress the fact that this is an adult novel, which means there are scenes in here that are clearly inappropriate for younger teens. Seriously though, there are a few scenes in this book that are really erotic. I've read quite a few NAs as well as Jennifer's other adult books, but this is... whoa. Even I felt kind of uncomfortable with the steamier parts of Unchained.

Unchained is written in third person, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is Jennifer's first book that isn't in first person? I prefer first to third, but in this case I think third person is necessary. We don't just get into Lily's head, we get to see things from Michael's perspective too. Michael, in case you were wondering, is a new Nephilim recruit who is more than he seems. I liked seeing this from his point of view as well, because it provides a nice balance.

Okay. Lily. I loved that chick almost immediately! She's just so badass. She reminds me of Alex from Jennifer's Covenant series. Lily is tough, she's extremely skilled, and says exactly what she thinks. She doesn't take crap from anyone, and people always know where they stand with her. I empathized with her a lot, especially when she has so much on her shoulders and has no idea what to do. I definitely liked her snark and sarcasm - Jennifer writes that in so well.

I wasn't sure what to expect of Julian, because he's an enigma most of the time. Honestly, I thought he was kind of creepy in the beginning, since he keeps following Lily everywhere. He does that throughout the book, actually, and has apparently been doing that for the past eight years. I seriously have no idea what Julian does when he's not following Lily! But I love that he does, because that's the reason he saves her life all the time. Julian's different from the other Fallen, and Lily knows that. It's why she puts up with him. Of course, there's another reason later on! I liked seeing how protective Julian is of Lily, and how much he cares for her. It helps that he's remarkably easy on the eyes. He's a fallen angel, after all. I cannot wait to get more of Julian in the next book!

I also really loved Michael's character. He's the guy that has no idea about his origin, and it's thrown in his face when Lily comes across him one night. Michael begins his Nephilim training at the Sanctuary, and he's good. Really good. He also has a rigid sense of morality which I thought was great. Michael's different from the rest of the Nephilim, though, and we find out why towards the end.

What I didn't like that much was the predictability. I had the whole mystery aspect of the novel all figured out after the first little hint, and from then I was just waiting for the big reveal. I don't want to be too spoilery so I won't say any more on that. But there are also a few other things that are quite predictable.

Overall, Unchained is an awesome start to a new J. Lynn series, and I cannot wait to see what happens in the next one! Thank goodness there isn't a cliffhanger, though, because I don't think I could have handled that. But yeah, I really loved Lily and Julian, both on their own and together.

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Oh Gosh, I can't wait to read this book!!! Thanks so much for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I'm a bit shaky on J Lynn books (I really didn't like Obsession or Frigid), so I'm unsure whether to get this book. Reading your review, it does seem as if the book is quite explicit, so I might stay away from this one. We'll see I guess :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!