Thursday, 26 September 2013

Review: Trust in Me by J. Lynn

Title: Trust in Me (Wait for You #1.5)
Author: J. Lynn
Release date: October 22nd 2013
Publisher: William Morrow Impulse
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 228
Source: Edelweiss

It’s Wait for You as you’ve never seen it. Trust in Me lets you in on Cam’s side of the #1 New York Times Bestselling story.

Cameron Hamilton is used to getting what he wants, especially when it comes to women. But when Avery Morgansten comes crashing into his life – literally – he finally meets the one person who can resist his soulful baby blues. But Cam’s not ready to give up. He can’t get the feisty and intriguing girl out of his head.

Avery has secrets, secrets that keep her from admitting the feelings Cam knows she has for him. Will persistence (and some delicious homemade cookies) help him break down her barriers and gain her trust? Or will he be shut out of Avery's life, losing his first real shot at the kind of love that lasts forever?


Avery was such a mystery to me; a paradox of innocence and allure - a mystery I was determined to solve.
Trust in Me is basically Wait for You in Cam's point of view, and I loved every second of it. We get to see his side of things, and since this is his story, there are scenes in here that aren't in Wait for You, which allowed me to get to know Cam, Jase and Ollie a lot better. Even though this is a novella, it reads like a novel, and is almost the length of one. So that was awesome, getting more of Cam than I'd expected.

I found Cam's POV so hilarious! He's such a funny and goofy guy, especially with his tortoise, Raphael. Yeah, he's cocky at times, but he's just so lovable. And it's so freaking sweet to see exactly how much he cares for Avery, right from the start. The fact that he nicknames her Strawberry Shortcake in his head is downright adorable. I love how he is with Jase and Ollie, too - they're so comfortable around each other. Maybe too comfortable at times ;) You'll get me when you read this novella.

It's very different seeing Avery from Cam's perspective. She's really withdrawn, and seems a lot more reserved in the beginning. It's kind of funny to see how much effort Cam has to put in to get her to open up to him! But I loved seeing him fall for her. And since I already knew what was going to happen, it made the anticipation more exciting.

But I wish Trust in Me wasn't just Wait for You in Cam's POV. I mean, it's literally the same thing, with all the same dialogue and everything. The time frame is identical to that of Wait for You, with the exception of the last chapter, which I think is a little after Wait for You ends. I would have liked to see how Cam and Avery were after the events of their book. But I'm glad that there are quite a few scenes in this book that we haven't seen before.

J. Lynn introduces a little something that will be explored in Be with Me, a little moment with Teresa and Jase that is pretty secretive. And we get to know more about Jase, too - that he has issues of his own to deal with, though of course we don't find out what they are. Jase and Cam are really close, and it makes me nervous to think about what could happen to their friendship in Be with Me. I really like Teresa, though, from what I've seen of her. She's lucky to have an awesome brother like Cam!

Trust in Me is an awesome companion to Wait for You, though I'd recommend not rereading Wait for You before reading this, since the books overlap. This novella made me fall in love with Cam even more, if that's even possible. So of course I loved it. The depth of his love for Avery is incredible, and reading the scenes from his perspective almost make me tear up. J. Lynn's writing is amazing as usual, and though this was a quick read for me, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an ARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...it's a bit disappointing that Trust in Me is literally the same book as Wait For You. It would have been nice to have some back story or something, like in Losing Hope (which is Hopeless from the guy's POV too). But I do like reading male POVs, and there are some extra scenes, so I'll probably end up reading this one anyway :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!