Saturday, 28 September 2013

Review: Sworn to Transfer by Terah Edun

Title: Sworn to Transfer (Courtlight #2)
Author: Terah Edun
Release date: September 17th 2013
Publisher: All Night Reads
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: eBook
Pages: 244
Source: Author

Eighteen-year-old companion trainee Ciardis Weathervane has won the friendship of the royal heir and saved his claim to the throne. Yet her interference in the inheritance rights leaves more harm done than good. The Ameles Forest lies unprotected and its inhabitants are dying.

As humans begin to die in gruesome deaths, the Emperor dispatches the royal heir to the forests with the solution to the kith concerns.

With enemies closing ranks in Sandrin, Ciardis can little afford to leave the city’s nest of vipers to take on a new task. But she’s given no choice when her loyalty to the crown and courts are called into question.

To keep the Companions’ Guild happy and the favor of the Imperial Court, Ciardis will be tested in frightening new ways, especially when she’s faced with an obstacle that could risk the lives of her friends and the family she never thought she had.

Sworn to Transfer definitely exceeded my expectations. If you've read my review of Sworn to Raise, you'll know that I felt it didn't live up to its potential. Well, its sequel clearly did. Terah Edun stepped it up for this book, and it captivated me. The writing is vivid and detailed, and the plot was well-paced. I also loved getting to know the characters better. After this book, I'm incredibly impatient for Sworn to Conflict!

This book picks up a couple months after Sworn to Raise left off. Ciardis is comfortable in her role as Companion trainee, but things soon start to go wrong. Not only is she meant to protect Prince Heir Sebastian, but herself, too. Attempts are being made on her life, and the kith of the Ameles Forest are being killed off. The atmosphere in this book is laden with mystery and suspense as Ciardis strives to figure out who this enigmatic yet powerful murderer is.

Ciardis has really grown into her character, and I loved seeing that. She's impulsive yet kind-hearted, and she'll do anything to save the innocent from dying. She's tough as rocks, and won't let anything stand in her way. I love her brazen attitude towards everything. It's definitely different from the other women around her. Ciardis also learns a lot about her powers as a mage, and the fact that she can do more than just enhance the powers of others.

I wish there was more of Sebastian in this book, though. I missed him for most of it. Sebastian has grown too, but in a different way. He's becoming more of a man than a boy, and as a result people have begun to respect him. Even Ciardis sees him in a different light. There wasn't any romance in this book, either, but I think there surely will be in the next. I feel like Ciardis's and Sebastian's relationship has strengthened, and may become something more soon. I hope it does! Their age difference didn't matter to me in this book, not like it did in Sworn to Raise. Maybe because Sebastian seems older. Either way, I'd love to see a romance develop between the two of them in the third book.

I loved the world building in Sworn to Transfer. We get to see exactly how mage powers work, and how Ciardis is trained to control hers. The detailed description of the mage cores put a clear picture in my mind, and I love it when authors can do that with something as abstract as magic. World building like that is difficult in a fantasy novel, and Edun has definitely pulled it off in this book.

If this series keeps getting better, I can't wait to see what's in store for us in Sworn to Conflict! The action in this book is as riveting as it was in the first one, and there was more of it. I loved the danger streaked throughout, with the kith murders and the enigma of the Shadow Mage. We are introduced to some new characters, too, and I'm looking forward to getting to know them more in the next book. Overall, this was an awesome read, and if you're a fantasy lover, this is one world you don't want to miss out on.

*Thank you to Terah Edun for providing me with a copy for review*

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!