Monday, 2 September 2013

Review: A Little Too Far by Lisa Desrochers

Title: A Little Too Far (A Little Too Far #1)
Author: Lisa Desrochers
Release date: September 17th 2013
Publisher: William Morrow
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 230
Source: Edelweiss

Have you ever gone just a little too far?

Lexie Banks has.

Yep. She just had mind-blowing sex with her stepbrother. In her defense, she was on the rebound, and it’s more of a my-dad-happened-to-marry-a-woman-with-a-super-hot-son situation. But still, he’s been her best friend and confidant for the better part of the last few years … and is so off limits. It’s a good thing she’s leaving in two days for a year abroad in Rome.

But even thousands of miles away, Lexie can’t seem to escape trouble. Raised Catholic, she goes to confession in hopes of alleviating some of her guilt … and maybe not burning in hell. Instead, she stumbles out of the confessional and right into Alessandro Moretti, a young and very easy-on-the-eyes deacon … only eight months away from becoming a priest. Lexie and Alessandro grow closer, and when Alessandro’s signals start changing despite his vow of celibacy, she doesn’t know what to think. She’s torn between falling in love with the man she shouldn’t want and the man she can’t have. And she isn’t sure how she can live with herself either way.

When I found out this book was on Edelweiss, I just had to get it immediately. After participating in the cover reveal, I was already looking forward to it. And now, after reading it, I can wholeheartedly say I loved it! A Little Too Far is definitely riskier than a few other NAs I've read, in a way. And the way Lisa Desrochers carried it out is done so well that not even a little part of me opposed the idea of Lexie and Trent.

Lexie's mom married Trent's dad a few years ago, and it's the best thing that ever happened to Lexie. Trent's the best friend she'd never dreamed of. He's always there for her, and they're closer than you can possibly imagine. She can tell him anything without being afraid of what he'll think of her. But one night, their whole relationship dynamic shifts on its axis, and suddenly there's a whole different tension between them. Why? Because they sleep together, and feelings they've buried deep inside themselves have fought their way out. Lexie leaves to Rome a few days after, and has to get Trent out of her head before she does something stupid. Luckily, Alessandro's there as a fine distraction. The problem with that? He's a deacon, on his way to becoming a priest. When Lexie starts to fall for him, she knows she's in serious trouble. A Little Too Far is a riveting story of self-discovery and about making tough decisions.

I think this is a great book for people in Lexie's place, in college and trying to figure out life. They'd be able to relate to her really easily. I could as well, even though I'm still in high school. And that's because Lexie's such a fun character to love. She's spunky, snarky, and just really passionate about life. Lexie's an art history major, and her enthusiasm about the culture of Rome and its architecture is contagious, even though I know next to nothing about art and sculptures. Plus, I really felt for her in her predicament. I admire her strength to make the decisions she did, and I like that she made the right ones. Sometimes, protagonists do some really stupid things that make me want to smack them, but there was no danger of that in this book.

I really liked Trent, too. It's clear right from the start that he has a really close relationship with Lexie, and that he cares about her deeply. Their frequent games of Warcraft and just general hanging out make me wish I had an older brother. An actual one, not the way Trent is with Lexie later on! I'm glad they're step-siblings, because I'm a little iffy with incest stories. Okay, I've only read one, but still. There's this song, Counting Stars by OneRepublic , which I think fits their relationship. Some of the lyrics, anyway. There's this one line that goes, 'I feel something so right, doing the wrong thing'. And that's exactly how Lexie feels about Trent. She feels the wrongness of it, and yet it feels right to her.

Alessandro was great, too! He's in charge of a project with Lexie, and it's to do with leading tours for kids around Rome's museums. Like anyone else, Alessandro can see the passion in Lexie, and is immediately drawn. They grow really close, and become great friends. But somewhere along the way, their feelings begin to change. And both of them know how wrong it is. Alessandro's already taken a vow of celibacy, he can't let himself get involved with anyone. And Lexie knows she shouldn't fall for a deacon. I won't say any more now, because I really don't want to give anything away. This book is pretty unpredictable, and I'm internally cursing myself for reading a spoilery review before starting the book.

I loved the Rome aspect of the book. I'm not big into art, but even I was intrigued by everything Lexie describes in this book. The history behind some of the sculptures and paintings, the beauty of them... I actually felt like I was there in Rome with her! It was incredible. Some of the NAs I've read are practically filled with foreplay and sex, so this was an awesome exception. There's so much to this book. You're taken on a journey right alongside Lexie, and you can't help but feel everything she's going through.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves NA, and if you're an art history buff too, that's an added bonus! I'm really excited to read A Little Too Much, now that I know what it's going to be about. Specifically, the characters in it. But I'm warning you, don't read the synopsis of that book before reading A Little Too Much, it will spoil everything! Anyway, I think this book is awesome, in case you can't tell already. Lisa, you've found yourself a new and dedicated fan!

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an ARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I am starting this one in the next day or so for the tour. I am excited about it, but I'm dying to know the ending now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!