Sunday, 8 September 2013

Review: The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #2)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Release date: October 29th 2013
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: eARC
Pages: 348
Source: NetGalley

In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice.

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again.

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.

Holy. Freaking. Hell. The Iron Traitor is definitely the most intense and captivating book of the series so far! And when I say series, I'm including The Iron Fey. In some ways, this book is quite like its predecessors, but different in so many others. The stakes are the highest they've ever been, and the future of the entire NeverNever rests on the shoulders of two teenage boys - one mortal with the Sight, one half-faery prince.

Ethan and Kenzie are pulled back into the faery world. This time, it's because Annwyl needs their help. Keirran is off doing everything and anything he can to save Annwyl from Fading, and the others will stop at nothing to find him and bring him to his senses. But when they do, the four of them are helpless as they watch fate unfold in front of them. Keirran will resort to anything to save her. Anything. And his actions control and change the whole course of this novel.

I really like how much Ethan opens up in this book. His walls are crumbling, and it's all thanks to Kenzie. He's sweeter, and definitely very protective. It's quite amusing, actually, how panicked he gets over anything to do with Kenzie! Ethan's accepted the fact that he'll always be a part of the faery world, and I love his loyalty towards his family. He helps Keirran out despite the craziness of it all, and sticks by him through everything. He and Keirran have a really great relationship. In fact, as Puck mentions in this book as well as in The Lost Prince, the two of them remind me so much of Ash and Puck. I felt nostalgic every time I'd read about any fight scenes involving the two of them.

Kenzie really reminds me of Meghan. She's tough, she's stubborn and she's snarky. And you can't help loving her! Despite the fact that she has leukemia, Kenzie has so much life in her. She wants to live it the best way she can, which is why she's eager to revisit the NeverNever with Ethan. What I really love about Kenzie is that even though she's afraid, she'll never show it. She'll stick through it, because she can. That girl has nerves of steel! I really wouldn't want to get on her bad side. I loved that she and Ethan get closer in this book, and get to talk about their relationship. Also, there's quite a lot of romance considering they're fighting for their lives most of the time!

Keirran I'm a little iffy about. It's so admirable that he's willing to do whatever it takes to make sure Annwyl stays alive, but he goes to the very extreme, and he can't go back. Keirran makes some really stupid decisions in this, all in the name of love. I get it, but I wish he'd think things through before jumping right into them! Everything he does makes him reminiscent of Ash in The Iron Knight, when he went on a quest to ensure he could be with Meghan. Like father, like son, huh?

One of my favourite things about this book - The old characters we know and love from The Iron Fey are back again! I loved seeing them in The Lost Prince, and I wasn't expecting them to make a significant reappearance in this one. But there are these great scenes where Puck helps the teens out, and Ash too, to an extent. I'd have liked to see more of Meghan, but I get that she has her own duties to take care of. It's really cool having Grimalkin back, too. Honestly, I don't think the NeverNever can function without that cat.

I'm really surprised at a lot of things that happened in The Iron Traitor; mainly the ending. I won't say anything about that, except for this - that was literally the cruelest ending I've ever read! I mean I was reeling at the end, and I couldn't think of anything else for the next few minutes. That is what I call a cliffhanger - it's the real deal, trust me. And it's making me pine for the next book so much! I've never wanted a book as much as I want that third book right now, I'm not even kidding. If you can't handle cliffhangers well, I'd suggest holding this book off until the next one releases.

I realize this has become a pretty long review, but I can't help it. I just have so much to say! The Iron Traitor is loaded with heart-stopping action and twists that will have you on the edge of your seat. Julie Kagawa has created a total beauty with this one! It'll pull on all your heartstrings and take you deep into the scarily beautiful world of the fey. This book will make you feel so many emotions in such a short span of time, it's quite overwhelming! I loved every second. This series, along with its predecessor, is truly one of the best YA series out there, and if you haven't had the fortune to pick these books up yet, I strongly urge you to! They're that incredible.

*Thank you to Harlequin Teen for providing an ARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

6 comments:

  1. Sounds really great! The Keirran making bad decisions thing bugged me in The Lost Prince so I'm not sure how I'll take it in The Iron Traitor. Hopefully, the awesome world will take care of that.

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Richa! I agree with you about the Kierran and making bad decisions thing - like father, like son! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reeling at the ending too! It was so cruel but amazing at the same time. I didn't like Kenzie as much as you, but I agree that it's awesome to have the old cast of characters come in :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this and now I can't wait to read it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your review, I have pre-ordered it and it is sitting on my ipad now but I may wait to read closer to the release of the 3rd book. cliffhagers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!