Thursday, 19 September 2013

Review: Deception by C.J. Redwine

Title: Deception (Defiance #2)
Author: C.J. Redwine
Release date: August 27th 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: eBook
Pages: 480

Baalboden has been ravaged. The brutal Commander's whereabouts are unknown. And Rachel, grief stricken over her father's death, needs Logan more than ever. With their ragged group of survivors struggling to forge a future, it's up to Logan to become the leader they need—with Rachel by his side. Under constant threat from rival Carrington's army, who is after the device that controls the Cursed One, the group decides to abandon the ruins of their home and take their chances in the Wasteland.



But soon their problems intensify tenfold: someone—possibly inside their ranks—is sabotaging the survivors, picking them off one by one. The chaos and uncertainty of each day puts unbearable strain on Rachel and Logan, and it isn't long before they feel their love splintering. Even worse, as it becomes clear that the Commander will stop at nothing to destroy them, the band of survivors begins to question whether the price of freedom may be too great—and whether, hunted by their enemies and the murderous traitor in their midst, they can make it out of the Wasteland alive.

In this daring sequel to Defiance, with the world they once loved forever destroyed, Rachel and Logan must decide between a life on the run and standing their ground to fight.


I devoured Deception in one evening, which will tell you how addicted I was to this book. It’s pretty long, so I feel quite accomplished! I loved the non-stop heart-pounding action throughout, as well as the air of mystery and danger. Deception really sets up a great climax for the endgame. I’m not sure whether the next book will be the final, but it sure seems like it. And I’m already eager for it even though I know I have to wait a whole year.

I do wish Logan were on the cover instead of Rachel. I mean, Defiance was definitely focused on her, but Deception is Logan’s book. He grows so much over the course of the novel, while Rachel… doesn’t. There’s a lot of self-discovery for him, and Rachel’s by his side as he leads his people. I really hope he’s on the cover of the next book at least! Though I don’t know if that will happen.

I was sucked into the story right from the first page. There’s a pivotal action scene within the first five chapters, and I love that there was never a dull moment in this book. There are just over a hundred Baalboden survivors, and they’ve turned to Logan to lead them. Logan, who’s only nineteen. He has a lot riding on him, and he knows that. The survivors are in a race for their lives, and the Commander will stop at nothing to get back at Logan and Rachel. But Rachel and Logan’s priorities have changed, and that creates friction in their relationship.

I loved Logan so much in this book! His character has developed so much, but he’s still the same adorkable guy we met in Defiance. There’s this one line that just screamed typical Logan to me, and I burst out laughing when I saw it!
Kissing Rachel is like discovering a new element.
I mean come on, how can you not love Logan after a line like that? I love his science brain and his tech skills. I really sympathized with him in this book, especially because of everything he finds out about himself and the people he loves. This book is definitely Logan’s through and through. I also find his devotion to Rachel really admirable. Even though she’s difficult to deal with, Logan accepts her, flaws and all. He’ll do anything to protect her, and would willingly sacrifice himself for her. Rachel’s seriously so lucky to have someone like him.

Rachel is really different in this book. She’s still Rachel, but she’s… broken in a way. The deaths of her dad and Oliver have taken a huge toll on her, and everything she has to go through in this book just makes it worse. She’s still strong and resilient, but there’s only so much she can take. I admire Rachel so much – her strength, her courage. But she’s still impulsive, and her anger sometimes gets the better of her. I don’t like some of the decisions she made in Deception, and I hope she’ll set things straight in the next book.

We meet a few new characters in this one, and get to know a few old ones better. I really like Quinn and Willow, the Tree siblings. They’re both so skilled and capable, and anyone would look up to them, Quinn especially. Willow annoyed me at times, but I adore Quinn. He can be lethal, but he chooses not to be. Quinn has a gentle soul, and his calmness is in stark contrast with the dangerous and violent nature of the rest of the book. I’m really looking forward to seeing more of Quinn.

There’s a certain mystery arc that’s extended throughout the book, and it was pretty intense, but predictable. I wish there was more of an unpredictability to it, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. After some amazing twists that left me breathless and an ending that had me craving more, I am now prepared to count down the days to the next book. And if that’s the final one, I have high expectations!

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Yay, There's more Logan in this book!!! I loved Defiance so much and I'm dying to get my hands on this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!