Saturday, 24 August 2013

Review: The Liberator by Victoria Scott



Title: The Liberator (Dante Walker #2)
Author: Victoria Scott
Release date: August 27th 2013
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: eARC
Pages: 352
Source: Author

Bad boy, meet bad girl.

Dante has a shiny new cuff wrapped around his ankle, and he doesn't like that mess one bit. His new accessory comes straight from Big Guy himself and marks the former demon as a liberator. Despite his gritty past and bad boy ways, Dante Walker has been granted a second chance.

When Dante is given his first mission as a liberator to save the soul of seventeen-year-old Aspen, he knows he’s got this. But Aspen reminds him of the rebellious life he used to live and is making it difficult to resist sinful temptations. Though Dante is committed to living clean for his girlfriend Charlie, this dude’s been a playboy for far too long…and old demons die hard.

With Charlie becoming the girl she was never able to be pre-makeover and Aspen showing him how delicious it feels to embrace his inner beast, Dante will have to go somewhere he never thought he’d return to in order to accomplish the impossible: save the girl he’s been assigned to, and keep the girl he loves.

Dante Walker is back! The Liberator is an awesome follow-up to The Collector, one of my favourite 2013 debuts. This book takes the series in a direction I wasn't expecting, and there are quite a few surprises along the way. After finishing this one, I honestly can't wait to see what's going to happen in the epic conclusion to the trilogy.

This one started out a bit slow for me, and continued like that for the first hundred pages or so. That's the only issue I had - I wish there was more of a direction for that period of time. But the book definitely picks up later, and I was glad about that. It gets better and better as you read on, until the end, where there's a gigantic shocker.

Dante's now a Liberator, but inside he still believes he's a demon. He's finding it hard to let go of who he used to be. And his first assignment, Aspen, isn't making it any easier on him. She's exactly like who he used to be, and he finds himself wanting to go back. Charlie's changing too, and Dante doesn't know how to control anything anymore. But when he gradually finds out what Valery, a fellow Liberator, is keeping from him, he knows he has to take action to protect the girl he loves and the girl he's assigned to liberate.

Dante's definitely a lot sweeter in this book, though still badass. He's as hilarious as ever, and I found myself laughing at his epic one-liners. I love seeing how protective he is of Charlie, and how much he loves her. It's very different from who he was in The Collector! But in some ways I do miss the old Dante. Dante's really conflicted in this one, since he doesn't believe he can be good, and he can't let go of his demons. But you can tell he wants to. And I felt for him so much because of that. I love how much he's grown since the first book, even though it hasn't been that long. It just shows how much Charlie's love can change him.

Charlie's one of the most unique YA heroines I've read about, and I just love how sweet she is. Even though she's absolutely stunning now, she's still the same old Charlie who eats Skittles out of her pocket. And I loved that. But Charlie wants to change for Dante, because she thinks he wants her to be different. And we get to see a different side of her, a bad one. I quite liked that too, to be honest. But I prefer the normal Charlie! She's in a lot more danger now that everyone knows who she is and what she's destined to do. I love how kick-ass she is in this book, she's become a lot more confident and she knows what she wants. There are all these swoony scenes between Charlie and Dante that had me sighing in happiness and wanting to re-read them all over again!

Aspen has got to be one of my favourite characters ever. With her badass dress sense and her attitude, I definitely loved her immediately. She's an amazing fighter, and she's so loyal. She may have her flaws, but she's a really good person inside. So incredibly brave, and so tough. Aspen's a really important character in this series, as you'll find out when you read this book. And I'm happy, because we'll get to read more about her in the next book. She's one of the highlights of this book, and one of the reasons I loved it.

There's a lot of suspense, humour, action and romance in this book. It's got it all! And a lot of surprises that I really never saw coming. The Liberator is very different from The Collector. A lot is changing, for better or worse. In the beginning, it seems to have fallen into a bit of a middle book syndrome, but thankfully it picks up later. Oh, and another of my favourite things about this book? We get to see Hell! Yeah, you read that right. I won't say any more about it.

So overall, this is a great sequel, and it really sets up the situation for the conclusion of the trilogy. I loved getting back into Dante's world, and meeting all the old characters again, as well as some new ones. Victoria Scott writes amazingly, and I can't wait to see what she has in store for us in the next book!

*Thank you to Victoria Scott for providing an ARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I am so glad you enjoyed this. I really did to.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!