Thursday, 8 August 2013

Review: Deep Betrayal by Anne Greenwood Brown



Title: Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath #2)
Author: Anne Greenwood Brown
Release date: March 12th 2013
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy/Paranormal
Format: ARC
Pages: 333
Source: Author

It's been thirty days, two hours, and seventeen minutes since Calder left Lily standing on the shores of Lake Superior. Not that she's counting. And when Calder does return, it's not quite the reunion Lily hoped for. Especially after she lets her father in on a huge secret: he, like Calder, is a merman. Obsessed with his new identity, Lily's dad monopolizes Calder's time as the two of them spend every day in the water, leaving Lily behind.

Then dead bodies start washing ashore. Calder blames his mermaid sisters, but Lily fears her father has embraced the merman's natural need to kill. As the body count grows, everyone is pointing fingers. Lily doesn't know what to believe—only that whoever's responsible is sure to strike again. . . .




Deep Betrayal is an incredible follow-up to Lies Beneath - none of that middle book syndrome. This one's got loads of action, danger, suspense, romance, and myths! While Lies Beneath was told from Calder's point of view, we get to see into Lily's head in this one. I found that I loved it as much as reading from Calder's! This is the only mermaid series I've read so far, and after reading this I really want to read more of this type. There's so much you can do with it, and Anne Greenwood Brown has made full use of it.

Lily hasn't heard from Calder in a month. She's growing anxious with worry, but has to keep up appearances in front of her best friend, Jules, since her graduation is coming up. But then Calder does show up, and things start to change. Drastically. Lily's father is a merman, and Lily tells him in this book. But what does that make Lily? She's changing too, in ways she can't fathom. Calder's there with her, but he's growing distant. When dead bodies start showing up near the lake, Lily and Calder know it's time to take action.

I was surprised to find that Lily is quite different in this book than in the first. She seemed cool and collected in Lies Beneath, but in this one she's quite reckless and wild. I guess that's a consequence of everything she went through before. You know, almost dying and all. Lily's started to realize that she's changing. She can hold her breath much longer underwater, and feels comfortable in the water. She starts to hear voices, too. She desperately wants to be with Calder and her dad as they explore the lake together, but she decides to keep her newfound abilities a secret. Which I didn't agree with, but it's her choice I guess. One thing that hasn't changed, though, is her bravery and loyalty towards those she cares about. As well as her desire to help those around her. She can't just sit around while people are dying; she has to do something about it.

Some reviews I read previously said that Calder wasn't in this book much, but I totally disagree. There's plenty of Calder here to go around! Which is awesome, because I adore him. He's incredibly sweet and kind, completely the opposite of what he believes merpeople to be. It's very obvious how much he cares for Lily, and that he's willing to to anything for her. But he does value honesty, and Lily doesn't seem to show much of that to him. Their relationship gets strained at times, but I'm glad they make it through the rough spots.

I loved the mystery aspect in this, the one about the dead bodies. Who's killing these people? There are quite a few suspects. I liked figuring out who it was, because there are quite a few hints dropped, and I could tell before Lily did. I also loved the myth of Maighdean Mara. That was really cool to read about, since I'm interested in myths of all kinds. There are so many intense moment in this book, and I loved all of them. If you guys have read Lies Beneath, I think you'll like this one even more! I know I did. There are quite a few revelations as well, and the writing is so beautiful that you'll just get sucked into this world for a while. Thankfully there isn't a cliffhanger, but regardless of that I'm really looking forward to the final book in the trilogy.

*Thank you to Anne Greenwood Brown for providing an ARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. I did like this book but I did enjoy book 1 more. This wasn't as dark as the first which is why I really fell for it. But it's one of the better mermaid novels that I have read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only mermaid series I've read so far, and I want to start another since I really like this!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!