Monday, 26 August 2013

Review: Chaos by Christine O'Neil

Title: Chaos (Kardia Chronicles #1)
Author: Christine O'Neil
Release date: August 19th 2013
Publisher: Entangled Teen Ember
Genre: Young Adult Mythology
Format: eARC
Pages: 340
Source: Publisher

My name is Maggie Raynard. After sixteen years being just plain me, suddenly, when I lose my temper, my fingers become weapons of mass destruction. Turns out I'm a semi-god, descended from Aphrodite. Sounds cool in theory, but when I accidentally put my ex-boyfriend in a coma, things go downhill pretty fast.

Now some new guy named Mac Finnegan has made it his mission in life to continually piss me off. I'm stuck learning how to use my new powers while also dealing with regular high school problems, and with this annoying—and super-hot—guy all up in my business, I'm about to flip out.

But it gets worse. I just learned there's this watchdog council of semis who keeps an eye out for any bad apples. They think I'm the baddest of the bunch and want to take me out before I do any more damage. My nemesis Mac might turn out to be my salvation, only he's got secrets of his own...and they may just kill us both.

When I found out that Chaos is rooted in Greek mythology, I flipped out. I love anything with Greek mythology! I really liked Christine's take on the concept. It's different and unique, and that made it all the more intriguing to me. The writing style also really appealed to me - I actually felt like Maggie was talking to me instead of narrating her story.

Maggie knows she's descended from Aphrodite, but almost nothing else about herself and her powers. She has no idea how to control them, and she's already had one pretty huge accident regarding that. When Mac, the new and infuriating guy in school, tells her he can help her, she's not sure what to think. Mac's always been a thorn in her side, and she's never known why. Now she does. Mac was sent to her by the Council, and if she can't keep her powers in check, they'll sentence her. Maggie's life is at stake, and so is Mac's, though she doesn't know it. Chaos takes us through Maggie's struggle to control her powers while simultaneously repressing her urge to suck the love out of people. Yeah, you read that right.

Maggie's character is the perfect blend of snarky and compassionate. I loved her badass-ness and her humour. Also, her concern for her grandmother really surprised me and made me feel for her more. Though I wish her grandmother had more of a role in this book, because I can imagine that she'd be very interesting to get to know. Maggie's got two best friends - Bink and Libby, who she loves more than anything. They're always there for her, and vice versa. Libby even knows her secret, which is something she's never told anyone else. But Maggie still has the urge to steal love from people. It gives her satisfaction. And so she is compelled to steal objects that have meaning to people. It can be anything - from jewelry to pictures. And she can't stop herself. Side effect of being descended from Aphrodite. But I liked how much she progressed over the course of the book. Maggie learns to deal with her power, with help from Mac, and it was cool to see her develop.

Mac, on the other hand, I couldn't seem to like. He annoyed me quite a lot in the beginning, with all the stuff he pulled on Maggie. And they got worse. Mac isn't the kind of guy you'd immediately fall for, so I didn't get Maggie's insane attraction to him and inability to get him out of her head. I mean, he's been nothing but terrible to her, except for a few moments. He's cold at best. But I did start to like him towards the end, though I'm thinking it's a little too late for that to happen. Mac does a total 180 degrees and suddenly he's all concerned and protective of Maggie. Quite a drastic change. But I'm looking forward to the sequel to see how their relationship develops now that they both have admitted to liking one another.

A side character I really loved is Bink. He's been friends with Maggie for fifteen years, so they're obviously really close. I liked that there was no hint of a love triangle there, because the best friend thing is so overdone. Kudos to Christine for not going down that lane! Bink's funny, goofy, and cares a lot about Maggie and Libby. He's like a rock hard support, and I think Maggie's really lucky to have a friend like him to depend on.

Like I said, the mythology aspect really drew me in, especially the fact that the semi gods have powers. I can't wait to meet some other semi gods and find out what their powers are! And I do hope Mac becomes more likeable in the next book. Chaos is a strong start to this series, and I did enjoy reading it. I don't know what to expect from the sequel, since there wasn't a cliffhanger (thank god!) but I'm looking forward to it.

*Thank you to Heather Riccio at Entangled Publishing for providing an ARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very interesting. I also love Greek mythology (all stemmed from reading PJ when I was a kid) and the idea of semi-gods. I'm not sure the type of romance in Chaos is my thing, so I'm glad to see that there are other strong relationships. Great review!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this one and I'm pleased to see you enjoyed the mythology. Maggie sounds like a character I'd quite like, it's a shame you didn't connect with Mac in the initial stages but I'm glad he improved as the book progressed.

    A great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!