Friday, 16 August 2013

Review: Awaken by Meg Cabot

Title: Awaken (Abandon Trilogy #3)
Author: Meg Cabot
Release date: July 2nd 2013
Publisher: Point
Genre: Young Adult Mythology
Format: eBook
Pages: 352

Death has her in his clutches. She doesn’t want him to let go.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera knew by accepting the love of John Hayden, she’d be forced to live forever in the one place she’s always dreaded most: the Underworld. The sacrifice seemed worth it, though, because it meant she could be with the boy she loves.

But now her happiness — and safety — are threatened, all because the Furies have discovered that John has broken one of their strictest rules: He revived a human soul.

If the balance between life and death isn’t fixed, both the Underworld and Pierce’s home back on earth will be wiped away. But there’s only one way to restore order. Someone has to die.

Anything can happen in the blink of an eye.
I've been waiting for this book ever since I finished Underworld last year with that huge cliffhanger at the end. Awaken is an epic conclusion to the Abandon trilogy, and it reminded me of why I've always loved Meg Cabot. I read this all in one go - though I tend to do that a lot during the summer vacation so I guess it's not that important to mention - and it was amazing throughout. I love the vivid descriptions, Cabot's writing, and the way she gets me so attached to her characters. I really was sorry to say goodbye to them.

Things have really changed in the Underworld, and the Fates are nowhere to be seen. When the Furies make a move to destroy the docks and strand the thousands of souls waiting for their boats, John decides to stop them. But he wasn't planning on getting killed in the process. Pierce, along with a few friends, sets off to save John, but chaos is reigning on Isla Huesos. Pierce has to face enormous obstacles to get to Thanatos, the god of Death who's holding John captive, while facing down all the Furies sent to stop her. There's loads of action in Awaken, but there's definitely stuff for the romantics out there, too. John and Pierce are closer than ever, and nothing can break them apart. Not for long, anyway.

Though of course I didn't like the fact that there wasn't enough of John in this book, I did like that his absence brought out a different side of Pierce. For once, she wasn't dependent on anyone, and she wasn't sitting around crying in vain. She made a decision to do something, to fight. She really shows how capable she is, and how determined. Pierce doesn't let anything stand in her way, not even the Furies. Of course, John does have to get her out of a few difficult situations, but that's expected. I like how much Pierce has grown in a way over the course of the series. In other ways, though, she's still as immature as ever. I didn't get why she just refuses to tell John she loves him, especially when he's said it to her ages ago. And then once she does say it, she really can't stop. That was a bit annoying. But it's cool, because I still like her.

John's definitely... tamer. In a sense. He's not as wild as he was in Abandon, and he does think things through before doing anything rash. Well, except for the decision that got him killed. But it's sweet to see how much he cares. Not just about Pierce, but about everyone he's in charge of, and about his crew. And he's gained a sense of humour in this one! That was interesting. John's still in a hurry to get married, and Pierce is still adamant that it's too early, but they work things out. And their relationship develops, quite a lot. There was this one scene where Pierce's mom caught the two of them in bed that had me in peals of laughter! Anyway, John's one of my favourite YA boys, despite the fact that he's almost two centuries old and a death deity. He can do no wrong in my opinion!

I really liked how the other characters are so involved, too. Not just Alex and Kayla, but Frank, Henry, Mr. Liu, Mr. Graves, and even Mr. Smith, the cemetery sexton. Each and every one of them has a role to play, and they do it incredibly well. Cabot's characterization is absolutely fantastic. By the end, I felt like I was saying goodbye to a cast of characters that I personally knew really well. I love how Alex's character develops in this book, and I really liked the little twist regarding him at the end.

Awaken wraps up the trilogy very nicely - no unanswered questions, and everything's stable. It ended just the way I like a series to end. I don't like having loose threads hanging everywhere, so this was great. I especially loved the climax battle scene near the end, it was just like watching everything in front of me like a movie. I've always loved the myth of Hades and Persephone, and Cabot's representation of it is definitely among my favourites. For those of you who haven't read this series yet, what are you waiting for? The whole trilogy is out now, so read them all together! I'd recommend it for all mythology lovers. Awaken is the best of the trilogy in my opinion, with its intense scenes and amazing romance and incredible characters.

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. (Coming over from YA Romantics) I just picked this up from the library. I have really enjoyed this series. I think the author has a great sense of humor and it comes across in her books. I'm glad you liked this. I wouldn't like to have John missing so much either, but I guess I'll see what I think when I read it. Great review!

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!