Monday, 29 July 2013

Review: A Shadow of Light by Bella Forrest

Title: A Shadow of Light (A Shade of Vampire #4)
Author: Bella Forrest
Release date: July 31st 2013
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: eARC
Pages: 118
Source: Author

A riot among the humans. A siege at the port. A kingdom on the brink of civil war while still facing the threat of an attack from outside forces at any moment.

Since the implosion at The Oasis and Derek's stay at Hawk Headquarters, The Shade has fallen into a state of utter chaos. To make matters worse, the citizens of Derek's kingdom have become suspicious of his loyalties and accuse him of siding with the enemy... At a time when Derek desperately needs full cooperation from his subjects, they wish to put their own King on trial.

Meanwhile, Sofia is being held hostage by the hunters. They are determined to rid her of her infatuation with the vampire. She submits to the strict routine and training they impose on her, but the only fuel that keeps her going is the thought of reuniting with Derek - something Reuben is fighting with every fiber of his being to ensure will never
happen.

...Until one day, out of the blue, Reuben appears to have a change of heart and comes to Sofia with a proposal; a solution that she never dreamed possible. A solution that would fulfil her heart's deepest desires and secure her and Derek's future together, forever.

But can she really trust this man who is so renowned for his hatred of vampires? Does she even have a choice?

A Shadow of Light had me totally captivated! From beginning to end, there's so much action and suspense. There's literally never a dull moment. Fast-paced and intense, this book was definitely on par with my expectations of it. And I had some high expectations! This one's a little more intense than its predecessors, and a bit different in a way, which I really liked.

Derek and Sofia are taken to the hunters' headquarters, but Derek manages to escape. Unfortunately, he has to leave Sofia behind in the process. But he knows he'll get her back. Sofia is being held prisoner by her own father, and he forbids her to go find Derek. Complications arise when he sees Ingrid Maslen in the cells, the woman who used to be his wife. Sofia has quite a lot of surprises - some amazing, some nasty, and some just plain unexpected. Meanwhile, when Derek gets back to The Shade, riot has broken out. He has to decide whether to stay and quell it, or go bring back the love of his life, Sofia.

Sofia has both her mother and her father back now, but they're as far away from a happy family as one can get. Her mother is Ingrid Maslen, not Camilla anymore. And she still wants to give Sofia to Borys Maslen. At least Sofia's father cares about her, but she can't even trust him. I sympathized with Sofia so much in this book, especially towards the end. I can't even begin to imagine what she goes through in this one, emotionally as well as physically. I mean, her best friend (and more at one point), Ben, died fighting for her, and she doesn't know how to deal with it. Thank goodness Derek will always be there for her. But can she always be there for him? Because Sofia is the immune. She can't be turned into a vampire. Her father gives her a huge hope - a cure to vampirism. But she doesn't know if she can trust him enough to bring him to The Shade and administer it.

The darkness is threatening to take over Derek again, now that Sofia's not with him, and he's trying his best to win. He's now the king of The Shade, which is a huge responsibility. On top of that, he has to fulfill the prophecy, the one that says he will bring true sanctuary to the vampires. But he has no idea how to. I still love Derek so much, and even more in this book. Sofia is everything to him, and he's so desperate to save his people as well. He's honestly one of the most caring people I've read about. I know he's strong enough to take care of Sofia and the vampires, and that he will eventually fulfill the prophecy. I have faith in that.

One huge surprise for me - Derek and Sofia were not the only couple I was totally rooting for in this book. The other couple? You'll never guess - Claudia and Yuri! That's right. Claudia has definitely redeemed herself, and she's really sorry about everything she's done. We learn more about her past, and who she used to be. Yuri was a part of that past, and it broke my heart hearing their story. No wonder Yuri always cared for her in The Shade even though she was such a bitch. I spent most of the book desperately wanting them to finally make up and get together after so many years. And I cheered like hell in my head when they did! I almost had tears in my eyes, it was that amazing.

The end of the book was pretty heartbreaking, but I could tell that Sofia and Derek are more determined than ever. Oh, and there was another amazing surprise in the book! Well, I wasn't that surprised because I was expecting it, so when the scene came up, I yelled 'I knew it!' Thank goodness no one was around to hear me! It was one of the only things that went right for the characters, so I was really happy about it. I'm still devastated about Ben's death in the previous book, so I've sort of forgiven Bella for that now!

I believe there are two more books in this series, and I don't want it to end, but I can't wait for the next book! I need to know what happens. Because I know it's going to get even more intense, especially after the epilogue in this one. Fans of this series, you guys will love A Shadow of Light. I definitely did, since I read it all in one go and was left wanting more. And for those of you who haven't started this series yet, you totally have to! It's one of the best vampire series I've come across.

*Thank you to Bella Forrest for providing an ARC for review*

Rating: 4.5/5

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! I can't wait to read this one myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!