Friday, 19 July 2013

Review: Frigid by J. Lynn

Title: Frigid (Frigid #1)
Author: J. Lynn
Release date: July 15th 2013
Publisher: Spencer Hill Contemporary
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eBook
Pages: 215

For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn't anything new. They'd been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the 'man' in man-whore. He's never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn't want to risk their friendship by declaring her love.

Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she's perfect and she's everything. But the feelings he has for her, he's always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have.

But when they're stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor'easter, there's nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one.

Holy. Freaking. Hell. This book just completely blew me away. I broke my own reading record with this book! That's how much I loved it. I finished it within two hours and just sat there trying to soak in the amazingness. Frigid is one book you definitely do not want to miss, and I think it's one of Jennifer's best.

One thing I really loved about Frigid is that even though it's New Adult, it doesn't have the tragic or disturbing character backgrounds that most NA books seem to have. It's definitely more relatable to readers. And Jennifer did a fantastic job with the characters! I loved Sydney immediately. It took a little while with Kyler, but he's definitely one of my favourite book guys right now. I think these characters are what makes Frigid so amazing. They're extremely likeable, but they're not perfect. It's so refreshing to read a book where the characters aren't portrayed as flawless.

The premise of Frigid is something we've all heard before, and maybe even experienced. The best friends who are in love with each other, but don't want to ruin their friendship by making their feelings known. But Jennifer added her own awesome twists to it, and made it into a freaking masterpiece! Sydney and Kyler are stuck at a ski resort for quite a while, trying to survive the blizzard. But it's not only the blizzard they have to avoid. Their lives are in danger, and they have to figure out what's happening before they really get hurt.

Sydney is now one of my favourite female protagonists. I usually tend to like the adventurous, tough, badass kind of girls, but Sydney is an exception. She loves reading, and prefers sitting indoors than going skiing or snowboarding with the others. But she's just so adorable and hilarious! I loved reading her narrative. Syd may be small, but she can hold her own. She has a strong will, and she's pretty feisty. Oh and Syd, I applaud you for getting out of the friend zone!

Kyler. Where do I even start. He has a freaking perfect body, of course, but attitude? Not so much. He's a total player, but when it comes to Syd, he's different. He's always been there for Sydney, and he'd never let anything happen to her. I love how he always looks out for her, no matter what. Oh, and he plays the guitar! How awesome is that? Kyler has a pretty tough exterior, but he's really sweet on the inside. I mean, he loves animals and he wants to be a vet. You can't get any more adorable. Kyler's been in love with Syd forever, but he doesn't think he'll ever deserve her. Being snowed in with her for a while changes that, though! So in case you haven't picked it up yet, Kyler is totally drool-worthy, and he's definitely my favourite aspect of Frigid.

There wasn't really a mystery in this book, because if you've read a lot of that genre, you can figure it out easily before it even begins. But there's a whole lot of suspense. You have no idea what's going to happen, and how. You feel afraid for Syd and Kyler's lives, and you can hardly breathe. That's pretty much how I was feeling while reading this! And I loved it. It's not often that you come across a lot of danger in NA novels, so I welcomed this.

I also loved the other characters in this book - Andrea and Tanner. Andrea is Sydney's best friend, and Tanner is Kyler's. They definitely have something going on between them, but no one knows what exactly it is. I doubt they know it themselves. I wish there was more of Andrea and Tanner in Frigid, because they're pretty funny and entertaining, not to mention supportive. But I have a feeling that Frigid's companion novel will feature them, so I'm not complaining!

On the whole, I absolutely adored this book. I wish I could share some of my favourite quotes, but I don't want to spoil anything at all, and I'm pretty sure all the ones I love are spoilery. I'm so, so happy that Jennifer decided to write NA! Because hers are definitely my favourite. Frigid has incredible characters, a beautiful story, and some really intense scenes. This is something you can read over and over again and never get sick of it. I would know, I've read it thrice already, in the span of just five days! Seriously guys, this is a must-read for all NA lovers and, of course, JLA fans. You can't help but love these amazing characters!

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!