Monday, 15 July 2013

Review: Fool's Game by Heather Huffman

Title: Fool's Game
Author: Heather Huffman
Release date: June 24th 2013
Publisher: Booktrope
Genre: Adult Romantic Suspense
Format: eARC
Pages: 149
Source: Publisher

At the request of the U.S. Government, Caitlyn O’Rourke faked her death years ago, only to be reborn as the Cat—a deadly black-ops agent tasked with working for the shadowy organization Chameleon and doing the jobs that can’t be done in the light of day. Now, on the verge of taking down a notorious drug lord and rescuing a captured Chameleon agent, Cat is targeted for assassination…from within. But who’s making the call, and why? As she attempts to uncover answers and stay alive, Cat finds herself working alongside Cody Kingsley, the mysterious senator who broke her heart and betrayed her long ago. Along with an inner circle of fellow agents, Cat and Cody must untangle the web of lies that surrounds them before it’s too late. From the sultry streets of New Orleans to a secluded plantation in Ecuador to Washington, DC, Cat must elude an agent hell-bent on her destruction while figuring out how high up the ladder the conspiracy reaches. At the same time, she must work through her tumultuous and conflicting emotions where both Cody and fellow agent Galloway—who may or may not have her best interests at heart—are concerned. A thrill ride of emotions, suspense, and action, Fool’s Game intertwines matters of the heart and survival …and the only thing certain is that Cat will never be the same.

When I heard that Heather Huffman was releasing a new book, I freaked out! Why? Because out of her books I've read so far, I've absolutely loved all of them. And then I found out that this one is about Cody Kingsley! For those of you who don't know, Cody was a character in Heather's previous book, Roses in Ecuador. He really fascinated me in that novel, so I was extremely eager to read his story. And don't worry, these are all standalone books, so you can definitely enjoy this one on its own. And you will, because like all of Heather's other books, it has this amazing suspense-filled plot and strong characters that make you feel like you're a part of the story, too.

Fool's Game has several aspects that are connected to Roses in Ecuador, which I really liked. We meet a few characters from Roses, and find out what happened to them after the events of that book. But this one follows Cat and Cody, two agents with a heavy past who are made to work together on a risky mission. Old feelings return, and new ones are created. Cat and Cody both discover themselves as well as each other over the course of the novel, and the character growth is really admirable.

I love every single heroine that Heather creates. I don't know how she does it! They're all so strong and willful, but so unique in their own way. Cat is no exception. She gave up her old identity along with her brother and her best friend, and they now dedicate themselves to, well, fight the bad guys. The thing I admire most about Cat is how she can hold her emotions in check while she's on a mission. Being so near Cody and having to interact with him, Cat seems so nonchalant, while in fact I can't even imagine what she's going through inside. She's keeping a huge secret from Cody, something that affects both of them, and she manages to keep it secret the entire time. Of course, Cody has to find out through someone else, but that's another story. Even though Cat and Cody both seem like they can't stand each other, the reality is completely opposite.

In Roses in Ecuador, Cody tells Rachel that there was a girl he loved, but she hates him now. While reading Fool's Game, I realized that the girl he referred to was Cat. And I began rooting for them with all my heart. Heather creates the most amazing relationships in her books, and you can't help but love them. Cat and Cody start out hating each other, wanting to avoid each other at all costs. Then, they start getting along, and finally, they fall for each other all over again. It's really beautiful seeing their relationship develop.

But Fool's Game isn't just romance. No, as I mentioned, there's so much suspense in it. And loads of action. Reading this book was like watching an action movie playing in my head, it was so incredible! The characters are all so believable, so relatable. I feel like reading this one all over again, because it's so well-crafted. Some scenes had me at the edge of my seat, some had me smiling in amusement, and some left me reeling with shock. The amount of emotions you'll feel while reading this book is huge! And definitely worth it. I would recommend this book to all the romance lovers out there, as well as the action and suspense seekers. There's stuff in here for all of you, and I have no doubt you will be satisfied.

*Thank you to Sophie Weeks for providing me with an ARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!