Saturday, 8 June 2013

Review: Rush by Eve Silver

Title: Rush (The Game #1)
Author: Eve Silver
Release date: June 11th 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Format: eARC
Pages: 234
Source: Edelweiss

So what’s the game now? This, or the life I used to know?

When Miki Jones is pulled from her life, pulled through time and space into some kind of game—her carefully controlled life spirals into chaos. In the game, she and a team of other teens are sent on missions to eliminate the Drau, terrifying and beautiful alien creatures. There are no practice runs, no training, and no way out. Miki has only the guidance of secretive but maddeningly attractive team leader Jackson Tate, who says the game isn’t really a game, that what Miki and her new teammates do now determines their survival, and the survival of every other person on this planet. She laughs. He doesn’t. And then the game takes a deadly and terrifying turn.




I wasn't sure what I thought about Rush before reading it, since the synopsis is quite vague. But I'm glad to say I did enjoy it, and the sci-fi gaming concept really stood out to me. Rush is the first book in a debut trilogy, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how everything plays out in the sequel.

The first thing I wondered about this book was why it's called Rush. Thankfully Eve Silver clears it up pretty well in the novel. It gets its name from the rush Miki feels when she's 'pulled', and when she's fighting for her survival. Miki is an average teenage girl going through the motions of high school, except with quite a bit of sorrow in her past. But her life completely changes when she rushes in front of a truck to save a girl, and gets hit instead. Instead of ending up dead, Miki is pulled to another dimension, where time is stopped. I found the concept of using time dilation really cool, and the background behind the game is explained well, though it came a bit later than I wanted it to. Anyway, Miki teams up with four other teens - one of whom she already knows, the one who ran to her rescue during the truck incident - to destroy an alien race that has begun inhabiting Earth.

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Miki. She didn't really stand out to me, and honestly I liked Richelle a lot more even though she was only present for a few minutes throughout the book. Miki seemed pretty needy to me after she returns from her first pull. She constantly bugs Luka to tell her what happened, and didn't get that she was putting them both in danger by even trying to talk to him about it. But I do admire her leadership qualities. She takes charge with full certainty when she needs to, and she does have a lot of potential in her even though she doesn't show it. Maybe the sequel will show some more character development from her.

Jackson's the leader of the team. He's extremely enigmatic, but I was drawn to him anyway. I was so curious about him the whole time I was reading this book. We do find out quite a lot about him by the end, and some of it is quite shocking. I definitely did not see that coming! But I didn't like the whole Edward from Twilight vibe he had going on at one point.

“I know I shouldn’t be here alone with you, yet here I am. Because I want what I want, not what’s best for you. That proves my point. Not a good guy. No mixed message there.”

 Jackson's cool, but he can get pretty annoying. Like when he 'answers' questions, for example. I put 'answers' in quotations because, well, he doesn't really answer them. Here are a few of his responses to questions asked to him - 
"Where are we?"
"A cave."
"What are you doing?"
"Talking to you."
"Who's on the committee?"
"Committee members."
I mean, seriously, if I were Miki I'd probably have punched Jackson in the face after that last one! Okay, maybe not. Because he has a lot of qualities that cancel out the annoying part. I liked his protectiveness over Miki, and the fact that he would go out of his way to help her. He cares for her so much, and that is undeniably clear by the end of the book. I really hope to see more of him in Push, and to figure out what's in his head.

I really liked Luka in this book. He's a guy-next-door type, and definitely cares for Miki more than he should. They used to be friends many years ago, and I could still feel that connection between them that Jackson and Miki don't have. Like Jackson, Luka's willing to risk everything to help Miki, but Jackson's always one step ahead. Not that I'm complaining, because I think Jackson and Miki are great together! But I always feel for the underdog. And I desperately want Luka to have a happy ending.

This is a really unique debut from Eve Silver. I haven't read anything where aliens are all the bad guys, and I do hope to find out more about the Drau in the upcoming sequel. The style of the game intrigued me, with its whole LARP-like quality. That's live action role playing, in case you didn't know. I definitely didn't until just a few weeks ago! I loved playing RPGs (role playing games) as a kid, and the incorporation of that in Rush made me all nostalgic. Weapons, health points, healing... All of it. I loved that part. There's a good amount of action in this book, as well as plot twists and of course some romance. It's paced perfectly, and there was never a dull moment. I'd recommend Rush to all you sci-fi lovers or gamers, because this is definitely your kind of book.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eGalley for review*

Rating: 3.5/5

4 comments:

  1. lol, great review sweetie :) Glad you mostly enjoyed this book. <3 I got a hardcover for review, so hoping to read it soon :D
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox last week. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carina! Hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. When I first read the synopsis I got the impression that this book may be similar to Insignia by S.J. Kincaid, but then you mentioned aliens. I think I'll check out this book just for the concept- it sounds too cool, although I am cautious about the characters. Edward types are so overdone in YA.

    Thanks for the review,

    P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty cool :) Definitely worth checking out, and I hope you like it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!