Saturday, 1 June 2013

Review: Obsession by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsession
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release date: May 31st 2013
Publisher: Entangled Covet
Genre: Adult Science Fiction/Paranormal Romance
Format: eBook
Pages: 370

He’s arrogant, domineering, and... To. Die. For.

Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in their grasp, which usually doesn’t chafe too badly because he gets to kill bad guys. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is, until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy.

Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something... unnatural. Who would? But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret.

Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable—breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life… or is it Hunter?


Obsession is exactly what I needed to get me through the days until Origin comes out! This is a standalone adult novel set in the world of the Lux series, but it follows an Arum, not a Luxen. Yeah, at first I didn't think I would ever like an Arum as much as the Luxen, but I absolutely love Hunter. This book gave me a whole new perspective, and I love how easily Jennifer can do that.

Serena is pretty skeptical when her best friend tells her about seeing humans turning into beings of light. But when Mel is killed right before Serena's eyes for the information she possesses, Serena has to believe. And she wants to avenge Mel. She comes across Hunter, a man apparently sent to protect her from the DOD and the Luxen, and she's now on the run for her life. Hunter's not human either, Serena knows that. But gradually she decides it doesn't matter to her. She'll never see Hunter as a threat to her life.

Serena definitely reminded me of Katy from the Lux series, in a way - an older and possibly more mature Katy. Serena is unfailingly loyal towards her friend, and would do anything to avenge her death. She's also particularly stubborn, and very strong-willed. I admired the inner strength she possesses - both physical and mental.

Hunter came as such a huge surprise to me! I honestly didn't expect to like him that much. But I'm completely smitten with him. Though cold in the beginning, he changes so much by the end. I loved his fierce protectiveness over Serena, and how gentle he can be with her. Who would've expected it of an Arum? Hunter's definitely not like the rest. Smoking hot, of course, which again surprised me since I never thought I'd regard an Arum that way. It just goes to show how amazing Jennifer's characterization is. Hunter is incredibly strong - he takes down a whole group of Luxen like it's nothing! He's a lot like Daemon, too. I really wouldn't want to see a show-down between the two of them, because I honestly don't know who'd win, and I don't want either of them to get hurt.

Hunter and Serena's relationship is so blazing hot. Seriously, this book ain't for kids, let me tell you! There is just so much chemistry between them. All the hot scenes, oh man. I think they're the hottest I've ever read! But it's not only sex with them. They genuinely care for each other, much more than they admit in the beginning. In fact, they fell for each other pretty early on, but neither admitted it until much later. I think they're both really good for each other. Serena keeps Hunter as human as possible, and Hunter will always keep Serena safe. No matter what.

One other thing I loved in Obsession - characters from the Lux series make appearances! Luc is prominent, and even more enigmatic than before. I really want to know who or what that kid really is. Paris, his Luxen friend, is there too, and we meet one other Luxen. A particular green-eyed hottie. Yeah, you know who I'm talking about! I was cheering manically in my head when he showed up. There's a lot more we find out about the DOD and something called Project Eagle and the Origin, which of course will be a large part of the fourth Lux book, Origin. I see where it got its title from.

As mentioned in Obsession, everything isn't all black and white. There are a lot of gray areas. It's not that the Luxen are good and the Arum are bad. There are bad Luxen and good Arums, as we see in this book. I really see the Arum in a different light now. I know that Hunter is good, and so is his brother, Lore. And I know that Luxen like the senator are bad, as well as the Luxen behind Project Eagle. I think it's awesome that Jennifer decided to write a book from an Arum's point of view, because it really broadens our minds about the two alien races. I hope Hunter and Serena show up in a future Lux book, and that Hunter and Daemon actually get to meet. I think, if given the chance, they could actually get along! They have more in common than anyone would realize. Anyway, Obsession is a can't-miss if you've read the Lux series, and even if you haven't, this book will get you interested in the world Jennifer created in Obsidian! I can't wait for Origin now, to see how high the stakes can go.

Rating: 4.5/5


7 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to read this one. I love that Hunter's an Arum, it makes everything so interesting. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought this, and I'm super excited about it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Can't wait to see what you think of it :D

      Delete
  3. Loved your review! Yeah, I'm insanely curious about Luc now!! Also, I definitely maybe squealed a bit when green-eyed hottie showed up. =) Gosh how are we going to wait until August for Origin??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah xD I know right! Plus it's the end of August so it's actually about 3 more months :/

      Delete
  4. Yay!! I'm so excited to start this one. I definitely can't wait to find out more about the Luxen. JLA is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!