Sunday, 5 May 2013

Review: The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller

Title: The Summer I Became a Nerd
Author: Leah Rae Miller
Release date: May 7th 2013
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Format: eBook
Source: Publisher
Purchase links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl's body isn’t just unknown, it's anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.

Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever.


This book is absolutely fantastic! I mean, a girl living a double life, secretly a nerd? I love it! The Summer I Became a Nerd is the perfect summer book. It's refreshing and unique, and I was completely sucked into Maddie and Logan's world of comic books and RPGs. I didn't want to get out, for real. This is such a fun read, and the characters are so lovable.

On the outside, Maddie is a popular cheerleader - lots of friends, jock boyfriend, and the likes. But on the inside, she's an avid comic book lover. When she's desperate to get her hands on the new issue of The Super Ones, her secret is made known Logan, fellow class-mate and, of course, fellow comic book geek. Logan introduces Maddie to amazing things like live-action role playing, and she finds herself falling deeper and deeper into a world she loves but can't bring herself to fully belong to.

What I love most about this book is how carefree the characters are. I absolutely loved Maddie! I get that she wants to hide her inner nerd to avoid being shunned in school, and it was pretty funny to see the lengths she goes to in order to keep her secret hidden. Maddie's freaking smart, and so devious! I love it. She's incredibly determined when she wants something, and she doesn't back down from it. I really admired her strength and her resolve.

And Logan. Oh my god, he's the most adorable guy ever! I loved his humour throughout the book. And it was so sweet to see how long he'd liked Maddie. I was so psyched when they finally got together. Logan has his own radio show, called Awesome Logan. Which I again find adorably hilarious! He's so goofy, and I love the banter between him and Maddie.

It was so cool to be pulled into the comic book world in this book! I don't read comics, but I love superhero movies. And the live-action role playing (LARP) intrigued me so much. How awesome would it be to be a mythical creature and lose yourself in a magical world for a few hours? With some amazing character traits, of course. LARP is basically an online RPG but in real life. I'd love to do that someday, I really would.

The climax of the book was so intense, I felt like jumping up and down in my seat in anxiety while I read it. It's honestly one of the coolest book scenes ever. Maddie's such a smart cookie, and I was grinning so much when her plan was being played out. She and Logan had their misunderstandings and all, but that was inevitable. Maddie's actions had to catch up to her sometime. A few things in this book were quite predictable, but overall it was pretty amazing. And if you love RPGs and stuff, you'll fall head over heels in love with this book! I for one am definitely looking forward to more from Leah Rae Miller after this exceptional debut.

*Thank you to Heather at Entangled Publishing for providing me with a copy for review*

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!