Thursday, 9 May 2013

Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Title: Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Release date: February 5th 2013
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian/Fantasy
Format: Paperback
Pages: 481
Source: Borrowed (Thanks, Rabiah!)

The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


Scarlet’s story is even better than Cinder’s! I loved the new characters that are introduced in this book, and it was awesome to see Cinder, Iko, and Kai again. Scarlet is filled with heart-pounding action and packed with suspense. There’s also the ever-present romance, which Marissa Meyer writes so well! I honestly couldn’t put this book down.

In Scarlet, we find out what happens to Cinder, but we’re also introduced to Scarlet Benoit and Wolf. The book alternated between them. Both sides of the story were absolutely riveting, but I have to say I was mostly looking forward to Scarlet’s story! Scarlet is trying to find her grandmother, who was kidnapped 20 days ago. She’ll do whatever it takes to get her back. She meets Wolf, a street fighter with quirky habits and a lot of secrets. Scarlet enlists Wolf to help her find her grandmother, but she’s in for a few shocks. Meanwhile, Cinder has managed to break out of her cell, but what she wasn’t planning on is an accomplice. Captain Thorne escapes with her, and they’re on the run together. Alongside all of this, Queen Levana is on the brink of declaring war on Earth, and Kai has only one option left. Now you can see why there’s so much action in this book!

I loved how Scarlet and Cinder’s lives are so intricately linked. Both of them are trying to find Michelle Benoit, Scarlet’s grandmother, but for different reasons. The climax when the two finally meet was as awesome as I was expecting! This book flowed like a movie – every scene vivid in my head, and making my heart beat faster at the intense moments.

Scarlet’s one of my new favourite YA heroines. I loved her toughness and her love and loyalty towards her grandmother. I really admired her determination, and the fact that she always sees the good in people. She’s quite snarky, too, and that just made her all the more awesome.

Wolf is another character I really loved. He’s really enigmatic for most of the book, and he’s incredibly tough. But Wolf has a softer side, too, and I loved seeing that vulnerability in him. Wolf seems like the typical misunderstood tough guy, but there’s a lot we find out about him, and let me tell you now, it’s pretty unbelievable! Wolf is really protective of Scarlet, and I just knew that he’d never let anything happen to her, no matter what. Wolf has a lot to figure out in this book, and a lot of hard decisions to make – even harder than the ones Scarlet and Cinder do, in a way. He’s such a complex character, and I totally love the way Marissa made him.

I really missed Kai in this book, though. He wasn’t in it as much as I’d liked, so I’m hoping to see more of him in Cress. I was a little miffed that he didn’t even get to meet Cinder, because I was expecting that. But then again, Kai has so much going on. The fact that he thought about her a lot placated me, for now. Kai is still torn about Cinder – he knows he has feelings for her, and that the fact that she’s Lunar won’t change that. But he’s afraid to admit it, even to himself. I honestly can’t imagine what he would do when he finds out who Cinder really is!

Overall, Scarlet is freaking fantastic. The amazing characters made it so much more enjoyable than I thought it would be. And Marissa’s writing is beautiful as usual. I can’t believe it took me this long to finally read Scarlet! But now I begin the tortured wait for Cress. I’m impatient enough with books anyway, but with that ending, I need Cress immediately! The stakes are so much higher by the end of this book, and it’s all building up to something huge. Marissa Meyer, I thank you for writing this incredible series – it’s now one of my top favourites!

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. I've heard so many great things about this series and yet I haven't picked it up yet! So glad that the second book doesn't disappoint! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely start the series soon :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!