Friday, 10 May 2013

Review: Rush Me by Allison Parr

Title: Rush Me (New York Leopards #1)
Author: Allison Parr
Release date: April 8th 2013
Publisher: Carina Press
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 263
Source: NetGalley


When post-grad Rachael Hamilton accidentally gate-crashes a pro-athlete party, she ends up face-to-face with Ryan Carter, the NFL’s most beloved quarterback.
While most girls would be thrilled to meet the attractive young millionaire, Rachael would rather spend time with books than at sporting events, and she has more important things to worry about than romance. Like her parents pressuring her to leave her unpaid publishing internship for law school.
But when Ryan’s rookie teammate attaches himself to Rachael, she ends up cohosting Friday-night dinners for half a dozen football players.
Over pancake brunches, charity galas and Alexander the Great, Rachael realizes all the judgments she’d made about Ryan are wrong. But how can a Midwestern Irish-Catholic jock with commitment problems and an artsy, gun-shy Jewish New Englander ever forge a partnership? Rachael must let down her barriers if she wants real love—even if that opens her up to pain that could send her back into her emotional shell forever.


I was so excited when I got approved for Rush Me on NetGalley! I only discovered it while browsing through the site, and it sounded amazing. Plus, I love New Adult. Rush Me definitely did not disappoint – I loved the protagonists and the plot, and the chemistry between Rachael and Ryan was just perfect.

This book is a little different from the other NA books I’ve read in the sense that the main characters don’t have humongous issues or terrible pasts. Honestly, I’m getting a little sick of that. It’s like every NA protagonist just HAS to have a terrible past! So I loved Rush Me because the protagonists are relatively normal. Sure, they have their issues, but they’re not as bad as the ones I’ve previously read about.

I warmed to Rachael immediately. She’s an intern at a publishing company, which I find really cool since I hope to do that someday. But her parents keep bugging her to go to law school and finally get a job, and she doesn’t like that. She loves what she does, and I admire her for that. I love how clueless Rachael is about American football! It definitely brought Ryan down a peg or two. Rachael has had relationship issues in the past, and she’s afraid to commit to anyone else. And Ryan will do whatever it takes to get her to overcome her fear.

Speaking of Ryan, I find it interesting that the name pops up a lot in books I’ve recently read, and the ‘Ryan’s I read about all play on a sports team. Weird, huh? The others were high school teams, I think, but Ryan Carter plays professionally. And that’s freaking awesome. He’s already a millionaire, and basically has a great life. Well, until Rachael shows up and complicates things. I fell for Ryan so hard in this book. Yeah, he pissed me off quite a bit at the beginning, but I knew that he really had feelings for Rachael and he didn’t know what to do about them.

Rachael and Ryan’s relationship was quirky and quite different from most NA couples. For starters, they pretty much hated each other in the beginning, and traded insults every opportunity they could! I found that hilarious, since of course they’re going to end up together. They’re both very similar in personality, and so they had a lot of ups and downs. In fact, there were so many fights that I was honestly wondering how they would be able to make it past all of that! But they do, and it just shows how much they care about each other and want to fight for their love.

The humour in this book is great – I was laughing during almost every scene! And the characters are just so amazing. The entire football team – the Leopards – was incredible. I loved Abe especially, he’s adorable! And I loved how they were all so comfortable with Rachael since the beginning, and always stood up for her. Rachael’s friends, on the other hand, I couldn’t bring myself to like very much. So I’m happy she had the team to hang out with. And Ryan, of course! They complement each other really well.

Overall, Rush Me is a great NA read, so if you guys love NA, you have to read this. It’s different, not as heavy as most NA novels, and basically a fun read. The romance will have you swooning like crazy, I kid you not. Ryan is just that awesome. Even though this book seems like a standalone, I’m hoping that Allison writes a companion novel in this world, because the characters are just too great to let go of after only one book. Plus, I’d love to read Abe’s story!

*Thank you to Carina Press for providing me with an eGalley for review*

Rating: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. It’s like every NA protagonist just HAS to have a terrible past!

    UGH I KNOW RIGHT! I'm tired of that bit too!

    Lovely review, Richa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrr to my Internet - this is my second time trying to comment. *kicks Internet*

    Anyway, lovely review, Richa! I am glad you reviewed it so that I heard about it, because I'm going to add it to my TBR now! I love what NA I've read, and I like what you said about this one being DIFFERENT. That's awesome, because I'm getting tired of the damaged/broken characters trend, as well!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Molli! Hope you love it too :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!