Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Review: Runes by Ednah Walters

Title: Runes (Runes #1)
Author: Ednah Walters
Release date: May 20th 2013
Publisher: Firetrail Publishing
Genre: Young Adult Mythology
Format: eBook
Pages: 313
Source: NetGalley

Seventeen-year-old Raine Cooper has enough on her plate dealing with her father’s disappearance, her mother’s erratic behavior and the possibility of her boyfriend relocating. The last thing she needs is Torin St. James—a mysterious new neighbor with a wicked smile and uncanny way of reading her.

Raine is drawn to Torin’s dark sexiness against her better judgment, until he saves her life with weird marks and she realizes he is different. But by healing her, Torin changes something inside Raine. Now she can’t stop thinking about him. Half the time, she’s not sure whether to fall into his arms or run.

Scared, she sets out to find out what Torin is. But the closer she gets to the truth the more she uncovers something sinister about Torin. What Torin is goes back to an ancient mythology and Raine is somehow part of it. Not only are she and her friends in danger, she must choose a side, but the wrong choice will cost Raine her life.



Runes definitely exceeded my expectations. I went into it not knowing much about the premise or anything, and I was pretty surprised to find that it's about Norse mythology! I'm really well-versed with Greek mythology (I absolutely love it!) and I do know a bit about Roman mythology. But Norse? Zilch. So it was really cool to see that here. And now I'm inspired to go research Norse mythology, just for the fun of it!

I found it interesting how Norse mythology parallels with Greek. It has its own version of the Fates, called the Norns. It also has reapers called Valkyries, which play a very important role in this book. You'll find out when you read it! There is quite a lot of background on mythology, which I loved. As a newbie to Norse myths, I found that the background really did help a lot. Plus, I'm a sucker for any kind of mythology. So I devoured this one right up.

Raine has a pretty busy life dealing with the recent disappearance of her father, as well as trying to take care of her mother. But she has two amazing best friends to help her deal - Eirik and Cora. Eirik has been her best friend forever, but she's developed feelings for him. But she's too nervous to find out whether he reciprocates them. All of Raine's troubles multiply when Torin moves in next door. Along with Torin, there are three other strangers who appear in town, and it's pretty obvious there's something different about them. Little does Raine know just how different they are.

Raine is a pretty awesome protagonist. She's inexplicably drawn to Torin even though she's with Eirik, and she has no idea what to do about it. She's pretty torn between them, and that was a little annoying. I did like her snark, though. It definitely spruced up the book! She's fun, she's tough, and she's not afraid to search for answers when she needs them. I definitely loved her banter with Torin. Their relationship is amazing - flaming hot, and loads of humour, too.

Torin St. James. He reminds me of Daemon Black from Jennifer Armentrout's Lux series. In fact, the relationship between him and Raine is clearly reminiscent of Daemon and Katy's, which made me love this book all the more. Torin is enigmatic, but so sweet and loyal. Once we get to know him, he's hard to let go of. His determination is admirable, and I loved how protective he was of Raine. Plus, he has a Harley. And rides it to school! How badass is that?

I also really liked Eirik and Cora. Eirik is the classic boy-next-door, also known as the guy who loses the girl to the bad boy. Eirik is sweet and funny, and incredibly brave. My heart went out to him so much in this book! He's just so adorable. Raine is seriously lucky to have someone like him. And Cora is fantastic too. She's pretty much the opposite of Raine - outgoing, quirky, flirty. I think she brings out the fun side in Raine, and she definitely made things more interesting.

Runes is amazingly written, and it really was hard to put down. There's a lot of action in this book, and lots of secrets that I loved uncovering. It's filled with suspense, too. And of course the sizzling hot romance between Raine and Torin! Probably my favourite aspect of the book. And that ending! Not to give anything away, but such a huge twist there. I did not see that coming at all, and I need the next book ASAP to find out what happens! This is an awesome YA paranormal, and if you're a fan of mythology, this is a must-read for you. I'm so looking forward to reading Immortals

*Thank you to Firetrail Publishing for providing me with a copy for review*

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!