Saturday, 18 May 2013

Review: The Iron Queen by Kaitlin Bevis

Title: The Iron Queen (Daughters of Zeus #3)
Author: Kaitlin Bevis
Release date: May 17th 2013
Publisher: Musa Publishing
Genre: Young Adult Mythology
Format: eBook
Source: Review copy from author

Life is hell for Persephone. Zeus will stop at nothing to gain access to the living realm and the Underworld, and as the only living god with a right to both, Persephone’s in trouble. Captured and tortured beyond the limits of her resolve, Persephone must find the power to stand against Zeus. But will she be strong enough?

Meanwhile, Hades contemplates desperate measures to rescue his queen. Persephone never thought of herself as dangerous, but there’s a reason gods never marry for love. A being with the power to destroy all of creation shouldn’t place more value in one individual than the rest of the planet. But Hades...Hades would break the world for her.

To save the world and stop both Hades and Zeus, Persephone must make a difficult choice. One that may cost her everything.


I just finished The Iron Queen today, and I had to write a review immediately! I was so pleasantly surprised when I got the opportunity to read and review this, and I began it the second it showed up in my inbox. The Iron Queen is the final book in Persephone's story arc, and it sure did pack a punch. I simply couldn't put this one down!

This book is told in the perspectives of Persephone, Hades, and Aphrodite. I loved all of their narratives so much, because I could really get into those incredibly fascinating heads of theirs. My favourite was Hades's POV, of course, because I love him so much! And it was so moving to see everything he does to get Persephone back from Zeus. Persephone is being tortured to her limit, and Hades can feel it. He'd destroy the world to get her back. Meanwhile, Aphrodite is really struggling against the oath she swore to Zeus, and she's doing her best to keep everything under control and help Hades find Persephone.

I felt for Persephone so much in this book. She has such an immensely strong spirit that even Zeus can't break her. The things she has to endure... they're unthinkable! I can't even imagine the agony she must have felt. And yet, she perseveres. Because she won't let Zeus take her power. I admire Persephone so much in how much she's changed from the first book in the trilogy. She's really come into her power now, and she embraces it. Too self-sacrificing for her own good, but I'm still so impressed by her.

Hades is as amazing as ever, and I loved him even more in The Iron Queen, if that's possible. We can see the pain he feels on behalf of Persephone, and how broken he is without her. My heart really went out to him during those times. His love for Persephone is stronger than ever, and he recruits the rest of Zeus's Olympian children to help him defeat Zeus once and for all, and get his wife back. There are fewer Hades-Persephone moments in this book, but the ones that are there... they're so incredibly sweet! Reading them, I can honestly think they were meant to be. Both of them would do anything to keep the other safe.

What I loved most about The Iron Queen is that we get to meet the other Olympian gods! Poseidon, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Hephaestus. And there's also a demigod called Adonis who seems to have caught Aphrodite's attention. Maybe he'll feature in her upcoming story arc? Anyway, it was awesome meeting the other gods. I liked Artemis, Ares, and Hephaestus. Wasn't a huge fan of Poseidon or Athena, though. Which is weird, because in other YA mythology books I've always liked them. I can't wait to find out more about some of these gods in the next trilogy.

It's sad to think about the fact that Persephone's story is over, but I'm happy with the way it ended. It was fitting, and it creates anticipation for the next book. I also liked Aphrodite a lot more in this book, so I'm definitely looking forward to her story! The Iron Queen is a grand end to this trilogy, with so much action, suspense, and surprises. I've really enjoyed the adventure that Kaitlin Bevis has pulled me into with this series, and I can't wait for more!

*Thank you to Kaitlin Bevis for providing me with a copy for review*

Rating: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!