Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Review: The Forgotten Ones by Laura Howard

Title: The Forgotten Ones (The Danaan Trilogy #1)
Author: Laura Howard
Release date: April 30th 2013
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: New Adult Fantasy
Format: eBook
Pages: 177
Source: Pure Textuality PR

Allison O'Malley's plan is to go to grad school so she can get a good job and take care of her schizophrenic mother. She has carefully closed herself off from everything else, including a relationship with Ethan, who she's been in love with for as long as she can remember.

What is definitely not part of the plan is the return of her long-lost father, who claims he can bring Allison's mother back from the dark place her mind has gone. Allison doesn't trust her father, so why would she believe his stories about a long forgotten Irish people, the Tuatha de Danaan? But truths have a way of revealing themselves. Secrets will eventually surface. And Allison must learn to set aside her plan and work with her father if there is even a small chance it could restore her mother's sanity.



The Forgotten Ones is the first NA fantasy I've read, so I was really looking forward to it. Firstly, the cover drew me towards it. I mean, isn't it so gorgeous? The font, the layout, everything. I just wish the book had lived up to my expectations of it. Sure, I liked the general plot, and it intrigued me, but there were other things that fell flat.

Allison is an introvert, preferring to stay home and read while taking care of her mother, rather than go out with her cousin Nicole and her friends. Al's mother is schizophrenic, and during her episodes, she calls out to Al's dad, Liam. But when Liam unexpectedly shows up at Allison's doorstep, she is suddenly pulled into a world she didn't even know exists. She has to deal with her long-lost father while simultaneously trying to figure out her feelings towards Ethan, the guy she's known forever, and who recently has developed an interest in her.

I liked Allison well enough. I admired her love and loyalty towards her mother, and it was nice to see how much she cared for her. But other than that, she seemed a little unrealistic. Especially when Ethan is concerned. Al keeps pushing him away for no reason at all, and treats him coldly. Then she walks away crying. I didn't get it. I mean, she wants to be with him, and there really isn't anything to be afraid of. Having to take care of her mother is no excuse. Also, when Liam shows up, Allison doesn't tell a single soul! I get that she couldn't tell her mom, but at least her grandma, the person who's taken care of her for years? Someone deserved to know.

I couldn't connect at all with Ethan. At first, I did like him, since he seemed like the fun and cocky kind of guy. But he sort of... faded away later. We don't see much of him, and he seems like just some background character, even by the end. And I couldn't find any spark between him and Allison, let alone actual chemistry. There was one measly kiss, and apparently that didn't have much of an effect on either one of them. So if you want to read this book, I'm assuming it's not for the romance.

I did like the premise of the book. The whole faerie aspect reminds me of Julie Kagawa's The Iron Fey, so that was interesting. The names are definitely confusing, though! There were so many of them, all unpronounceable. At least, until I reached the pronunciation guide at the end of the novel! But yeah, the action in this book surrounding the faerie world was pretty good.

Maybe the reason I couldn't connect with the book much is because it was quite short, but then again, I've read a few standalone novellas that I really enjoyed and connected with despite the short length. I have to say that Liam's character has me intrigued, and I would read the sequel to find out more about him and Allison's mother. The Allison-Ethan storyline was a definite let-down, especially since the beginning of the book seemed so promising.

I will still pick up the sequel to The Forgotten Ones, because I simply cannot leave this hanging. And I'm hoping that I'll enjoy that one more than its predecessor. This book has potential, I can tell you that. But I didn't like where it went after the first few chapters, and even the action parts during the search for Allison's mother felt quite rushed to me. But that's just my opinion, so maybe if you decide to grab this one, you'll see it in a different light than I did!

*Thank you to Jena Gregoire at Pure Textuality PR for providing me with a copy for review*

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!