Saturday, 25 May 2013

Review: Faking It by Cora Carmack

Title: Faking It (Losing It #2)
Author: Cora Carmack
Release date: June 4th 2013
Publisher: William Morrow Books
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 248
Source: Edelwiess

Mackenzie “Max” Miller has a problem. Her parents have arrived in town for a surprise visit, and if they see her dyed hair, tattoos, and piercings, they just might disown her. Even worse, they’re expecting to meet a nice, wholesome boyfriend, not a guy named Mace who has a neck tattoo and plays in a band. All her lies are about to come crashing down around her, but then she meets Cade.

Cade moved to Philadelphia to act and to leave his problems behind in Texas. So far though, he’s kept the problems and had very little opportunity to take the stage. When Max approaches him in a coffee shop with a crazy request to pretend to be her boyfriend, he agrees to play the part. But when Cade plays the role a little too well, they’re forced to keep the ruse going. And the more they fake the relationship, the more real it begins to feel.


I freaking loved this book! Faking It is absolutely delicious - I devoured it in one go, and it left me wanting so much more. It's impossible not to love Max and Cade. Their story is seriously one of the best I've read. Filled with tummy-tickling humour and heartwarming romance, Faking It will leave you breathless and gasping for more!

To be honest, I didn't have very high expectations of this book because I wasn't a huge fan of Losing It (Bliss and Garrick just didn't do it for me), but it just blew me away! I loved it from the beginning itself, when Max is first introduced to us and when we get to see Cade's point of view. Cade was my favourite character in Losing It, and I love him so much in this book. Bliss seriously missed out on a lot! Max and Cade's relationship starts out as them pretending to be together for the benefit of Max's parents, but it slowly grew into something real, and at the same time, something they're both afraid of.

I loved Max immediately. She's so different from most YA or NA heroines. Max will never let anyone call her Mackenzie, and she has a love for tattoos. And piercings. She has this incredible tree tattoo on her upper body, which I think is awesome. I've always wanted a tattoo! She also has flaming red hair (again, awesome) and sparkling eyes. And get this - she's the lead singer and guitarist in a band! So these little facts made me picture Hayley Williams from Paramore as Max, and I think that fit really well. I loved the songs she writes, and I love how passionate she is about music. It's the one thing she has going for her, and she'll never let anyone take that away. Her vulnerability really shows in her songs, and when she's onstage... Cora's writing is so incredible that I felt like I was right there with her! Max is also tough and feisty, and she doesn't take crap from anyone. She's independent and her own person, and I really admire that about her. But she's not as fearless as everyone thinks. The death of her sister has left her vulnerable, and she's afraid to show her true self to her parents. She's also used to dating bad boys who don't really care about her, but then she doesn't care for them either. Imagine her surprise when she finds Cade!


Ah, Cade. I seriously adored him in this book. Cade's my new favourite NA boy. He's different from the guys Max is used to, and that intrigues her. Cade is still hurting from Bliss's rejection, and having her and Garrick right there in the same city is torture for him. But he's trying to manage. Thankfully Max comes along and pushes Bliss right out of his mind. Cade is the sweetest guy ever, and I love how protective he is of Max even though he barely knows her. The fact that he agreed to be Max's pretend boyfriend to help her out shows what an amazing guy he is. No one else would have done that for a stranger. Plus, Cade is absolutely hilarious! His constant sarcasm had me laughing out loud. Take this part, for example. This is Cade's reaction to Max's boyfriend, Mace - 

His name was Mace. As in the stuff sprayed into the eyes of rapists and muggers. Or the ancient weapon used to bludgeon people to death.
He sounded like a real keeper.
Cade's the whole package - sweet, protective, funny, hot, and intelligent. He has so much wisdom in that cute head of his. And his advice really helps out Max, so much. It's pretty helpful to anyone reading the book, actually. Because many of us have faced hardships in life, and the kind of courage and positivity that these two show are really uplifting. There's this one line that really stuck with me, and it's something that Cade says to Max when she admits she's afraid. 

Fear lets us know we’re alive.

I was rooting for Cade and Max so hard in this book. The Golden Boy and Angry Girl make an adorable pair, and their chemistry is sizzling hot! I mentally cheered at the happy parts and teared up at the sad. They both have some pretty large baggage, but they help each other through it. And they really bring out the best in each other. I liked how their relationship started out real slow, because they really got to know each other in that time. And that made them realize how much they care for one another.

I want to re-read Faking It over and over again, because it was just that fabulous. I can't get enough of Cade and Max! They're definitely my favourite NA couple at the moment, and I doubt that will change anytime soon. Cora's writing in this book is so real, and the descriptions so vivid, that I felt like I was living Cade and Max's lives alongside them. I'm certainly looking forward to reading Kelsey's story in Finding It, but I'm pretty sure this one will remain my favourite! You guys HAVE to read this when it comes out. Seriously. It's a must-read. And you won't regret it!

*Thank you to William Morrow Books for providing me with an eGalley for review*

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!