Friday, 5 April 2013

Review: The Rising by Kelley Armstrong

Title: The Rising (Darkness Rising #3)
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Release date: April 2nd 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: eBook


Things are getting desperate for Maya and her friends. Hunted by the powerful St. Clouds and now a rival Cabal as well, they're quickly running out of places to hide. And with the whole world thinking they died in a helicopter crash, it's not like they can just go to the authorities for help.

All they have is the name and number of someone who might be able to give them a few answers. Answers to why they're so valuable, and why their supernatural powers are getting more and more out of control.

But Maya is unprepared for the truths that await her. And now, like it or not, she'll have to face down some demons from her past if she ever hopes to move on with her life. Because Maya can't keep running forever.

Old secrets are revealed and unexpected characters make a surprising return in this stunning conclusion to Kelley Armstrong's New York Times bestselling Darkness Rising trilogy.

*There are spoilers for the previous two books in the series below, so don't read on if you haven't read them yet*

The Rising was one of my most anticipated 2013 books, and it not only lived up to my high expectations - it totally blew them away! I was so incredibly happy with everything in this book, and the way Kelley wrapped up her two interconnected trilogies. I'll always be holding out for another one, or at least short stories about this world, but for the moment I'm completely content with the way things ended with this final book.

One of the main reasons I was really looking forward to this one was because the characters of the Darkest Powers trilogy were returning. I couldn't wait to see Chloe and Derek and Simon again, and even Tori! If you haven't read this series yet, you really should. My heart almost exploded with happiness and I couldn't stop grinning when they finally made their long-awaited appearance. But I have to say, even before they appeared in this book, The Rising was already freaking fantastic. I finished this whopper within a day, because I was glued to the pages! I loved every second of this one.

In The Rising, Maya, Daniel and Corey are on the run, trying to find someone who can help them. They get along well enough on their own, but they come across an unexpected ally. Who, you ask? Don't worry, it's not really spoilery. They meet Maya's twin brother, Ashton. Or Ash, as he likes to be called. That was a surprising twist to the story, and it just added to the overall awesomeness of this book. The four of them rough it out for a while, but they do get into a lot of trouble. The stakes are so incredibly high in this book! The supernatural gang has to outrun not one, but two Cabal groups - The St. Clouds and the Nasts. Meanwhile, Maya's biological father, Antone, is doing everything he can to get Maya onto his good side.

Maya has really grown a lot over the course of this series. Yeah, she's still stubborn and reckless, but that's just the way she is. She has a lot on her shoulders, and she's learning to deal with it, as well as with the fact that her friends look to her as a leader. On top of that, she has to figure out her confusing feelings for Rafe and Daniel before she makes a mistake she can't undo. Maya has begun to feel the side effects of her shifts, and she doesn't like it at all. But I liked that she had the inner strength to control her urges before anything untoward happened. She's had to make a lot of incredibly difficult decisions in this book, life-changing ones. And she's so much wiser now! I was honestly surprised at her calm and logical reasoning, because the Maya from The Gathering would have just jumped into every dangerous situation head-first.

Daniel's pretty much the same as he always was - strong, supportive, protective, and the voice of reason. Daniel's just learning how to use his powers, and I think he does a pretty good job of it. I love how he's always there for Maya, no matter what. He's still very protective of her, but I find it amazing how he'd do anything for her. Maya's so lucky to have someone like Daniel to lean on!

I have to say I've grown to like Rafe a lot more in this book. He's not the same careless jerk of a guy we met in The Gathering. In fact, I don't think he ever was. Rafe shows a lot more emotion in this one, and he makes all the right decisions. He and Maya have amazing chemistry together, and it's awesome how he can always make her laugh and keep her spirits up. There are a few aspects of him I didn't particularly like in this book, but everything got sorted out in the end.

And now to Ash, the enigma of the book. Obviously a new character - the only one, I believe - Ash is a lot like Derek. Scowling and glowering most of the time. But underneath he's a really sweet guy. He's also incredibly protective of Maya, and I found that so sweet! He dropped everything and flew to Canada to find her, and I loved how he was always looking out for her. In the beginning, Ash isn't that likeable, but you'll grow to adore him. I did! His similarity to Derek is quite unnerving, actually, but since I love Derek so much, I had to love Ash.

Corey is also still the same old goofy Corey, and he's also growing into his powers, like Daniel is. I won't say what his powers are, I don't want to spoil anything! A heads up - they're pretty awesome. According to me, at least. The rest of the character, the ones I don't like all that much, are also pretty much the same. Sam's still Sam, Hayley's still Hayley, and Nicole... Well, I freaking hate her! You'll know why when you read the book. But seriously, I seethed with anger whenever her name came up on the page.

Anyway, moving on. I still don't know what to think of Antone. I mean, he's genuinely reaching out to Maya, and he does help her a lot. But even Maya's not sure if she can completely trust him. I like the fact that they're making progress by the end, though. And with Ash, too. His bickering with Maya is pretty hilarious, as well as the way they regard each other! I mean, come on, this part had me laughing out loud - 


His head whipped my way, eyes narrowed in a “What the hell?” look. I was trying to diffuse the situation. Of course, he didn’t see that. He probably thought I was standing there, being insulted, and honestly thinking, You know, I’d like some chocolate.
When Maya's gang finally meet Chloe and the others, I don't really know what I was expecting. What I do know is that I was expecting them to get along a bit more! Derek was being Derek, of course, but the others didn't really trust each other either. I was glad to see them slowly get comfortable around each other, though! And even though I wish there was more of Chloe and Derek in this book, I loved the parts with them in it. Oh, and Maya in cougar-form facing off with Derek in wolf-form is definitely a key moment in this book!

The Rising is filled with so many twists and turns, and there's suspense everywhere. But this book will also make you laugh like hell, trust me. I honestly couldn't stop laughter from bubbling out of me at some points. This book really has it all, and I was so sorry to say goodbye to these characters. The epilogue was perfect - one of the best I've ever read. And my eyes really did tear up somewhere in there. I'm on board with all the decisions that the teens made in this book, and I know they'll succeed in whatever they're planning next. Thank you, Kelley, for introducing these epic characters to the world and sharing their stories with us! I really will miss both these trilogies, more than I though I would.

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. Awww I'm so glad to hear you loved this last installment in the Darkness Rising trilogy! I totally forgot it came out this week, and now I'm desperate to go out and buy it so I can start reading it tonight (especially after reading your review)! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Yes you should definitely read it ASAP :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!