Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Review: One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy

Title: One Week Girlfriend (Drew + Fable #1)
Author: Monica Murphy
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Release date: January 10th 2013
Format: eBook

Temporary. That one single word best describes my life these last few years. I’m working at a temporary job until I can finally break free. I’m my little brother’s temporary mother since our mom doesn’t give a crap about either of us. And I’m that temporary girl all the guys want to get with because I give it up so easily. According to the rumors, at least.

But now I’m the temporary girlfriend of Drew Callahan, college football legend and all around golden guy. He’s beautiful, sweet—and he’s hiding way more secrets than I am. He’s brought me into this fake life where everyone seems to hate me. And everyone seems to want something from him. The only thing he seems to want though is…

Me.

I don’t know what to believe anymore. All I know is, I think Drew needs me. And I want to be there for him.

Forever.


Yet another fantastic NA novel, One Week Girlfriend completely blew me away with its raw characters and intense plotline! I devoured this book within a day, and loved every second of it. Drew and Fable pulled me into their story, and I can't wait to read more of them in the sequel, Second Chance Boyfriend.

Drew needs to bring a girl home for Thanksgiving - someone whom he knows his parents won't approve of, and someone who would accept his offer. Someone to pretend to be his girlfriend for a week. Fable seems like the perfect girl. She's known as the campus slut at a college she doesn't even go to, and Drew knows she's tight on money. Fable reluctantly agrees, since she really needs the money, but little does she know what she's getting herself into.

Fable is an inherently strong protagonist - she's tough, inside and out, and she doesn't let anything faze her. She does have a reputation, but it's exaggerated. And she doesn't care to deny the rumours. I really liked Fable's character, especially her love for her brother. She'd do anything for him, and he's lucky to have an older sister like her. Fable desperately wants to save Drew from his dark past, but she doesn't know how. Staying with him for a week shows her a side of Drew that no one's ever seen before, and she finds out first-hand just how screwed up his family is. But she wants to be with him despite that, and her determination and perseverance is really admirable.

Drew is the typical gorgeous, messed-up guy with a horrific past, but he really stood out to me. The way he slowly fell for Fable was really sweet to see, and I loved how he always stood up for her against his parents. Drew's relationship with Fable is pretty strained most of the time, on account of his past. It keeps coming back to haunt him, and that drives a wedge between the two of them. But Drew needs Fable in his life, and the love he feels for her is so deep, and so open! I really felt for Drew, especially after finding out what happened in his past. I love the fact that Fable can help him forget it.

One thing I really loved about this book - marshmallow. Read the book if you want to know what I'm talking about. Okay, fine, I won't be that mean. 'Marshmallow' is the code word that Drew and Fable use to let the other know that they're in trouble and they need rescuing, immediately. I loved all the different contexts that this code word was used in! I'm sure there'll be loads more of it in the sequel, so I'm desperately waiting for that.

What I hated - Drew's parents! His dad, yeah, kind of, but I hate his stepmother, Adele, with a vengeance. I can't believe anyone can be that cold-hearted and insane. I seriously hope she gets what's coming for her in the next book, because I want to see some justice, people! I can't imagine how Drew grew up with parents like that. Both of them disgusted me right from the beginning, and got worse as the book progressed. It's sad to think that there actually are people like that in the world, and I feel incredibly sorry for anyone who knows people like them.

One Week Girlfriend kind of reminds me of The Space Between by Victoria H. Smith in some ways, and since I loved that one, I loved this too. Drew and Fable's story is just so intriguing, and even though it gets very serious at times, there's always some humour in there to lighten things up. I love these two amazing characters that Monica Murphy has created! Thank goodness I read this book only a couple of days ago, because I only have a week to wait before Second Chance Boyfriend comes out. And after that heart-breaking ending, I absolutely cannot wait to find out what happens in the next book!

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!