Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Review: Ghost Hand by Ripley Patton


Title: Ghost Hand (The PSS Chronicles #1)
Author: Ripley Patton
Release date: November 30th 2012
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: eBook
Pages: 242
Source: Review copy from author


Olivia Black just discovered that her ghost hand, a rare birth defect, can do more than light up a room. It can reach into people and pull things out. Things from the darkest depths of the human psyche never meant to exist in this world.

Olivia can pickpocket the soul.

But she can’t control her ability, or the strange items it extracts, and the only thing between Olivia and the men bent on taking the power of her hand is a boy she barely knows and doesn't trust.




Ghost Hand is an intense and thrilling paranormal novel, with loads of action, plot twists, and even random bits of humour. I got really into this book right from the start, and I couldn't seem to put it down! The concept of PSS intrigued me, and it was awesome to read so much about it. In the beginning - don't laugh! - I thought PSS was a real thing. I even Googled it! Then I realized it's a condition made up by the author, and I found that really cool. Ghost Hand is the first in a trilogy, and I think it set up the series really well.

When Olivia's ghost hand starts acting up during a Calculus test, she knows she's in trouble. It reaches into the girl in front of her and pulls something out, leaving the girl unconscious. The new guy, Marcus, seemingly knows more about PSS than he cares to show, and he offers her some answers. Olivia discovers that people aren't really who they seem, and is forced to go on the run with a guy she barely knows and doesn't fully trust.

Olivia is just the kind of YA heroine I like. She's smart and tough, and didn't annoy me one bit! I'm kind of sick of whiny protagonists, so Olivia is an awesome change-up. I love how loyal she is to her best friend, Emma, and the fact that she'd risk her life for her. She's strong and determined, and I felt like I could really connect with her. She starts to fall for Marcus while they're on the run along with the other PSS guys, and she's not sure what to do about that.

Marcus has got to be one of the most complex characters I've met! He's really hard to figure out. Marcus is extremely enigmatic at the beginning, and just when you think you've figured him out, BANG. Another surprise! This particular quote from the book, said by Olivia I think, sums up Marcus pretty well -
Marcus was not “what you see is what you get.” What you saw barely scratched the surface.
I found myself liking Marcus more and more as the novel progressed. He's basically the leader of their little entourage, and he reminds me of Sam from Jennifer Rush's Altered. He knows he has to be tough as a leader, and he's basically the glue that holds them all together. I totally loved him by the end! He's mysterious, yeah, but he's pretty hilarious when he wants to be. And I loved how protective he got over Olivia! It made me feel all tingly inside. And I really admire Marcus for everything he's doing - for people with PSS, and for himself. I seriously cannot wait to read more about him in the sequel!

I loved Marcus and Olivia's relationship. They did have their ups and downs, and argued quite a bit, but I feel like they're really good for one another. They understand each other, and by the end of the novel they have no secrets between them. Olivia really helps Marcus get over his past, and in turn, Marcus is always there for Olivia, no matter what. What I loved most is how supportive they are of each other.

The other guys with Marcus and Olivia - all with PSS of some form - are Nose, Yale, and Jason. Yes, Nose and Yale are nicknames. You'll find out why when you read the book! I took an immediate liking to Nose. He's just so quirky and fun. I also really liked Yale. Although, I definitely am against a particular thing they did towards the end of the novel, and I think it will take a while for me to forgive them for it. Jason is the third guy, and, well, he's the asshole in the group. I seriously did not like him, especially towards the end. He seems like just the kind of guy people should avoid. But thankfully, Marcus manages to keep him in line. When he's around, at least. I think Jason definitely has some potential, and maybe he'll get there in the next book.

Ghost Hand will keep you guessing at every turn, and the chase is so darkly exhilarating! There are so many close shaves, and the whole group is kept on their toes the whole time. I loved the easy-flowing dialogue of the characters, and the writing is great as well. This is a very promising debut novel from Ripley Patton, and I'm looking forward to continuing Olivia's story in the sequel, Ghost Hold.

*Thank you to Ripley Patton for providing me with a copy for review*

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!