Thursday, 4 April 2013

Review: Crossing the Line by Katie McGarry


Title: Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits #1.5)
Author: Katie McGarry
Release date: April 1st 2013
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eBook
Pages: 67


Lila McCormick, Echo's best friend from Pushing the Limits, first met Lincoln Turner when tragedy struck both their lives. But she never expected their surprise encounter would lead to two years of exchanging letters—or that she’d fall for the boy she’s only seen once. Their relationship is a secret, but Lila feels closer to Lincoln than anyone else. Until she finds out that he lied to her about the one thing she depended on him for the most.

Hurting Lila is the last thing Lincoln wanted. For two years, her letters have been the only thing getting him through the day. Admitting his feelings would cross a line he’s never dared breach before. But Lincoln will do whatever it takes to fix his mistakes, earn Lila’s forgiveness—and finally win a chance to be with the girl he loves.


Katie McGarry has done it again! After reading Pushing the Limits and Dare You To, it's obvious how excited I was for this one. And it did not disappoint - far from it! I absolutely loved Lila and Lincoln's story, and I needed more as soon as I finished the book.

I can't express how much I love Katie's writing. It's amazing, it really is. And it evokes all the right emotions in you. The writing is possibly the best part of this novella. I loved returning to Lila, since I really liked her in Pushing the Limits. We get an insight into her life, and into that of Lincoln's. Another thing I really loved about this novella - the concept. Lila and Lincoln have been pen pals for two years, and somewhere along the way, they fell for each other. When Lincoln ends up on Lila's doorstep, everything between them changes. 

So I've already established the fact that I love Lila. She's very different from Echo - you can see that immediately. She constantly questions herself and her decisions, and I think her inhibitions make her all the more relatable to us. I really felt like I understood her and her thoughts. It's awesome that we get to see so much of Lila's character, because she really is intriguing. I love the way she confides in Lincoln, even though they've only met once. Lincoln knows all her deepest, darkest secrets, and she knows his. She subconsciously leans on him for support, and that doesn't change when they meet each other again in the flesh.

Lincoln. *Sigh* Katie really knows how to write 'em! First Noah, then Ryan, now Lincoln. Needless to say I fell in love with him immediately. Lincoln has a pretty suckish home life, and when he accidentally messed up things with Lila while chatting with her online, he takes off to her house. I love Lincoln's spontaneity! Plus, his feelings for Lila are so raw, and so genuine. And of course, he's absolutely gorgeous. I think it's pretty much impossible not to love him! He's not perfect, of course, but that's part of his appeal. He's just so adorable when he tries to make up to Lila for his mistakes! Lincoln's brother, Josh, died in Afghanistan at the same time Echo's brother, Aires, did, and this is how he first met Lila. They clicked together immediately, and they've been pen pals ever since. When Lincoln sees Lila for the first time in two years, his reaction is the most adorable thing ever!

I’m staring and I need to stop, but seeing her inhibits brain function. Girls don’t know it, but standing in the presence of beauty impairs guys. At least, it impairs me.
Screw it. It’s Lila. Lila impairs me.
 I loved reading about Lila and Lincoln's relationship, and the fact that they're so comfortable with each other is nice to see. There's a particular part involving paintball guns that made me burst into laughter at their antics! They really are perfect for each other. They do have a few fights and misunderstandings, but they get through it in the end, because... well, they love each other. And that trumps everything.

Katie, you've killed me with this one! I honestly cannot wait for Crash Into You so I can get more of this amazing writing and these amazing characters. And I desperately wish Crossing the Line wasn't a novella, but a full-length novel! The ending was perfect, but I wanted more. Scratch that, I needed more. But nevertheless, this novella did satiate me, and hopefully it will keep me going until Crash Into You comes out!

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!