Monday, 29 April 2013

Review: Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Apollyon (Covenant #4)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release date: April 9th 2013
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Genre: Young Adult Mythology
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 360

Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.

I’d give it all up for you.
Holy baby daimons everywhere, Apollyon totally blew my mind! It's probably the best Covenant book so far, and there's just so much in it - action, suspense, revelations, humour, and yeah, death. Almost every chapter left me reeling. There's so much that has changed in this one. It seems to me like Apollyon is the turning point - it leads up to the epic finale that will be Sentinel.

In the beginning, Alex is still connected to Seth, and we get to know what it's like inside her head. It was cool to know that the real Alex was still in there and fighting, especially when Aiden was around. Thankfully, Alex breaks the connection quite soon, and from then on, it's total chaos. Seth and Lucian are still waging war, and they've got quite a following of Sentinels. Meanwhile, Alex and Aiden have to travel to the Underworld in order to get some answers. There's danger at every corner, and Alex holds the world in the palms of her hands.

I loved how much Alex has grown throughout this series, but the most change by far is in Apollyon. She's actually mature in this book, thinking things through before making rash decisions. I feel as proud of her as Marcus and Aiden are. She's gained a lot of wisdom from everything she's seen, but she doesn't lose sight of who she is. Alex is still the same tough, snarky half-blood we met back in the first book, but she's older now, and has a lot more responsibility. I especially loved this little part in the book, where Jennifer Armentrout's hilarious lines add to Alex's overall awesomeness.

No matter how convoluted my life got, one thing remained consistent—my hair looked like a baby opossum had taken refuge in it, invited some friends over, and thrown a party.

But there's so much pain and sorrow in this book, too. I can't even imagine everything Alex has to go through, and I'm so glad she has Aiden by her side, to always support her.

I loved Aiden even more in Apollyon, if that's possible! He's completely open about his relationship with Alex, daring anyone to say something against them. He's not afraid to show how he feels, not when there are way more important things for everyone to be concerned about. Aiden is so incredibly supportive and protective of Alex, and he complements her so well. But I think my favourite scenes of Aiden are when he's fighting. He's just raw skill and strength, and I love seeing that in my head. Good gods he's hot when he fights.

I honestly wish we actually got to see Seth in this book, rather than just through Alex's head. But I'm happy with what we get, because it gave me hope. Yes, I still have hope for Seth! I always did. And I really, really want him to redeem himself in Sentinel. I know he has it in him to realize that what he's doing is wrong. I still feel so incredibly sorry for him - none of this is his fault. It's all Lucian's fault for manipulating him, pretending to love him because he knows that that is all Seth really wants - love and acceptance. Speaking of Lucian, thank goodness he wasn't in this book. I'd want to see his head smashed in the second he popped up.

I loved the Underworld scenes - they showed a lot about what the Underworld is like, and I also loved the Alex/Aiden scenes in there, of course! Plus, we get to meet an old friend in there. Yeah, I think you know who I'm talking about. I was so psyched about it! We also get to see a lot more of the gods in this book. Not only in the Underworld, but otherwise as well. That was really cool too, most of the time anyway. Because we do find out which god is behind all the destruction, the one who wants Seth to become the God Killer. And I did not see it coming! That's all I will say about it.

I didn't like that there was so much death in Apollyon, because I know that it will be nothing compared to that in Sentinel. I don't want characters I've grown to love to die! It's bad enough when the ones I don't feel much for are killed. But the humour in this book was balanced really well with all the pain, so it placated me. Deacon especially was key in this. I love him so much! He's so freaking adorable and hilarious. But we also see a serious side to him in Apollyon, where he shows how much he loves his brother, and how much he wants to help in this war. I'm honestly terrified of what could happen to him in Sentinel. And to Luke, Olivia, Marcus, and the rest of the gang that survived the destruction of Deity Island.

I think that what I'm most thankful for is that Apollyon doesn't have a humongous cliffhanger like Deity and Elixir did! Sure, it ends in a way that leaves us hanging and desperate for the next book, but it's not unbearable. Apollyon is so freaking fantastic, and there's so much building up to the conclusion. The entire world is at stake, and things aren't looking so good at the moment. I'm dying to get Sentinel in my hands, even though I'm scared out of my mind to know how it all ends!

Rating: 5/5

3 comments:

  1. A wonderful review! I loved this book just as much as you did <3 there did seem to be a lot of death so I too dread Sentinel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I'm both looking forward to and dreading Sentinel! Thanks, Sharon :)

      Delete
  2. This book is much more positive than the novella. It is a great continuation of one of my favorite YA series.
    Highly recommended Divorce Lawyer Seattle Engle Law Group

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!