Sunday, 10 March 2013

Review: Daughter of the Earth and Sky by Kaitlin Bevis


Title: Daughter of the Earth and Sky (Daughters of Zeus #2)
Author: Kaitlin Bevis
Genre: Young Adult Mythology
Goodreads



Some vows can never be broken.

Persephone thought she could go back to her normal life after returning from the Underworld. She was wrong.
The goddess Aphrodite is born among the waves with more charm than she can control. Zeus is stalking Persephone and her loved ones, and Thanatos is no longer content with Persephone’s silence.

He wants her soul.

Persephone can’t tell anyone about Thanatos’ betrayal, and it drives a wedge between her and Hades. Her mother is still keeping secrets, and Melissa’s jealousy of Aphrodite threatens to tear their friendship apart.
Alone, Persephone turns to a human boy for comfort. But will their relationship put him in danger?
Sacrifices must be made, and Persephone must choose between her human life and her responsibilities as a goddess. If she doesn’t, she could lose them both.

But will either life be worth choosing once Zeus is through with her?

Daughter of the Earth and Sky is an amazing sequel to Persephone. We get to see more Greek gods and goddesses, and there are a lot of interesting plot twists. I loved Persephone and Hades even more in this book, if that's possible! And now I honestly cannot wait to read The Iron Queen, the next book in the series.

In this book, we are introduced to Aphrodite. She's different from the original Greek goddess in the sense that she has just been created, and has no idea what effect she has on people. Persephone and Hades decide to help her, but little do they know of the dire consequences of their actions. Persephone is in even more danger in this book, as Zeus and Thanatos get bolder. No matter how hard she tries, she can't tell Hades the truth about Thanatos. Moreover, she makes friends with a cute guy called Joel, who's human and very much interested in her. All of this drives a wedge between Persephone and Hades. But can the two of them reconcile their differences before it's too late?

Persephone has a lot to deal with in this book. Not only is Hades hurt that she's keeping something from him, but she also has to deal with the reapers that Thanatos is sending after her, as well as figure out what to do with Aphrodite. Oh, and her best friend Melissa is planning to move to Iowa to attend university there. I really admire Persephone for her unfailing strength throughout the novel. Not once did she give up or give in to anyone. She's still undeniably good and pure - nothing can take that from her. But she's also realized that not all the gods are as good as her. In fact, they're far from it. Despite everything that she's going through, she doesn't let any of that break her. She has this no-nonsense and stubborn attitude that helps her find her way. And gets her in trouble, of course. Primarily with Hades.

I seriously loved Hades so much in this book. He's still as awesome and badass as ever, and we do see a darker side to him. He's really protective of Persephone, which I find really sweet. But he's freaking scary whenever something happens to her! Hades is still frustrating in the sense that he believes Persephone to be too young for him, and I wanted to knock some sense into him. Thankfully he got it in the end. Hades has a sense of humour that really shines through in this book, which was something I didn't expect. I also love the way he and Persephone continually tease each other! Here are some of my favourites - 

“It could be worse.”   
“How?”   
“My father ate me.”
*** 
“Want to go to a movie?” He pointed to a spot on the map. “There’s a theater just down the street that way.”   
“The new Dusk movie is out!” I grabbed his hand and pulled him toward the movie theater.    
“I meant a good movie."
*** 
“I rule the Underworld! I’m not supposed to look pretty.”

These scenes really made me laugh out loud! Who knew Hades would be so funny? His love for Persephone is also really obvious in this book, and it was so beautiful to see how much he cares for her. She's his only weakness, the only person who can make him actually feel afraid, for her safety. Persephone finds out a few secrets about Hades, but they manage to get past them.

Demeter, Persephone's mother, really pissed me off in this book. I didn't like her much in the first book either, but in this one she really shows her true colours. She claims to have Persephone's best interests at heart, but all she does is lie to her. Well, technically she can't lie, but her omission of the truth is just as bad. She doesn't trust Hades with Persephone, and she's completely blind to their love. She can't see that Hades can keep her daughter safe. She thinks she's the only one who can do that, and she ends up making a lot of mistakes in this book.

Aphrodite is a character that I didn't initially like. I never trusted her, and I didn't like the way she made Persephone doubt herself and Hades. She's a terrible influence on Persephone, even causing a rift between her and Melissa. Aphrodite can charm anyone, and her charm is even more powerful than Persephone's. She uses this to her advantage. We find out a few things about Aphrodite in this book, good as well as bad things. I'm really intrigued to find out more about her in The Iron Queen, because she really piqued my interest.

Daughter of the Earth and Sky is filled with misunderstanding and suspense, with Persephone torn between Hades and Joel - her fate as a goddess and her possible life as a human. But Persephone knows that Hades is the only one for her. I never did like Joel, either, since he was coming in between her and Hades. There's a cliffhanger at the end - not an impossibly huge one, but enough to make me beg for the next book! Thank goodness I only have to wait a couple of months. I loved this book so much that I've already re-read it in the week I read it, and it was just as good the second time. If you haven't started this series yet, get to it now!

Rating: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! I have loved this series too, and I know what you mean about Hades! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!