Saturday, 23 March 2013

Review: The Murmurings by Carly Anne West




Title: The Murmurings

Author: Carly Anne West
Release date: March 5th 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Edelweiss



Everyone thinks Sophie’s sister, Nell, went crazy. After all, she heard strange voices that drove her to commit suicide. But Sophie doesn’t believe that Nell would take her own life, and she’s convinced that Nell’s doctor knows more than he’s letting on.

As Sophie starts to piece together Nell’s last days, every lead ends in a web of lies. And the deeper Sophie digs, the more danger she’s in—because now she’s hearing the same haunting whispers. Sophie’s starting to think she’s going crazy too. Or worse, that maybe she’s not…




The Murmurings is an intense thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time! I personally love horror movies and books, so I took to this one immediately. Even if you're not a horror fan, I think you'll like this, because The Murmurings will definitely have you riveted. The plot is fast-paced, and some scenes had my heart racing in anticipation!

Sophie hears voices and sees things no one else can. And no, she's not crazy. She knows that her sister, Nell, used to hear similar voices and see similar things before she died. All Sophie wants to do is find out the mysterious circumstances surrounding her sister's death, and she finds an unexpected ally in Evan, a Sweep monitor in her school and member of the JV football team. Sophie and Evan go on a dangerous journey to figure out what really happened to their loved ones.

I really felt for Sophie throughout this book. She's entirely alone, at least until Evan shows up. Her mom has been constantly in a drunk stupor since Nell died, and Sophie can't go to her for support. She has her Aunt Becca, but that's not really enough. Sophie's a great protagonist, but she does have her flaws. She's intelligent and brave, but incredibly reckless. This recklessness leads her to make impulsive decisions that she has to pay for later. But despite that, I really liked her character. She seemed very gentle, in a sense. And I loved how much she cared for everyone around her.

Evan teams up with Sophie when he finds out they're both pretty much in the same boat. But it's not until later that the two of them find out how much they have in common. I loved Evan! He's so incredibly sweet, and so understanding of Sophie. He's the only one who could put a smile on her face, who could make her feel like she's not alone. They have their ups and downs in this book, but it's very clear how much they care for each other.

The whole premise of The Murmurings is so intriguing. I've never read anything like it before, and it totally pulled me in from the start. Oakside Behavioral Institute - the place where Nell was taken, and the place where Sophie and Evan find their answers - felt so real to me! I could imagine exactly what it looked like, and what the patients were like. Dr. Keller, the head of the Institute, is a complete nightmare. But at some point I just began to feel sorry for him. Only a little, though. He's done way too many unforgivable things, and I don't think he's redeemable.

The Murmurings is a fantastic one-sit read, and an amazing debut from Carly Anne West. I'm definitely looking forward to more books from her! The plot and the characters were both unique, and I liked how the ending didn't leave anything hanging. FYI, that last part just now was an unintentional pun which you will understand if you've read the book ;)

*Thank you to Carly Anne West and Simon Pulse for providing me with an eGalley for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Great review. Looking forward to the pun, I love them. Adding to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!