Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Review: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Title: Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices #3)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Release date: March 19th 2013
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: eBook


THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING

A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

This has got to be the hardest review I've ever written. When I started reading Clockwork Princess, I was eager, excited, and terrified all at once. I didn't want it to end! But of course it had to. Clockwork Princess was absolutely beautiful. Each and every page of it. I don't even know what else to say... It was just so overwhelming to think about the fact that this amazing series has come to an end, that I would never get to read any more of Tessa, Will, Jem, and everyone else at the Institute, that their part of the story is over. This book actually made me cry. Twice. And I rarely ever cry while reading a book, so that's saying something!

In Clockwork Princess, the stakes are at the highest, and Tessa is in a race against time to do everything she possibly can to save Jem and defeat Mortmain once and for all. Everything changes in this book, for the better and worse. There are so many revelations in this book - some predicted, and others that just hit you in the face. My emotions were all over the place as I devoured this book!

Tessa is one of the few YA heroines that have always been really close to me. She's one of the few that I can't seem to find any flaws in, she's just that lovable. Tessa's loyalty really shines through in this book. Her loyalty to Jem, Will, Charlotte, and the Institute. She is braver and stronger, and her self-scarificing nature brings tears to my eyes. Tessa's heart is torn in two, and under the circumstances I admire how she found the resilience to fight back even though her emotions were in such a turmoil. We find out exactly who and what Tessa is, and what she's capable of.

Jem's health is deteriorating fast, and there is despair all around as the Shadowhunters search for a cure. I've always loved Jem's sweetness and kindness, his ability to give strength to the people around him, and his determination to make sure Tessa is happy and safe, no matter what. My heart broke many times over while reading this book, and a lot of those times involved Jem. He knows he's dying, but he wants to shine brightly for Tessa before he leaves her. I found that so incredibly sweet and selfless. That's just the way Jem is. You can't help loving him. Jem has a lot of difficult decisions to make in Clockwork Princess, and I think he made the right ones.

Will. Oh, Will. My heart broke for him, too, several times. Now that Will knows that there is no curse on him, he has to stand and watch as the love of his life is engaged to his parabatai. Will is obviously different in this book, but more so because Cecily, his sister, is living at the Institute. He's glad to be with her again but at the same time he doesn't want her in danger. I loved seeing his protectiveness over Cecily, Tessa, and Jem. It seems like he's always protecting someone. Will even becomes friends with Gabriel Lightwood, something we never would have seen coming. He's grown a lot over the course of the series, and he's been through so much. We get to find out the origin of the scar on his shoulder, the one he gets when he's touched by an angel, the one that gets passed down his family for generations. Will is brave and reckless throughout the book, but he's also passionate. And his love for books, which is shared by Tessa, never failed to bring a smile to my face. There is this one quote which he says which is probably my favourite non-spoiler quote in the book - 


Life is a book, and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read.

I think the most beautiful thing in Clockwork Princess - and this whole series, in fact - is the bond between Will and Jem. They are parabatai, yes, but their bond runs deeper than that. In this book, we see flashbacks of Will and Jem when they were younger. We see the day Will met Jem, which was also the first time Will showed some emotion on his face after the day he arrived at the Institute. Will and Jem are brothers in an outward sense, but their souls are bound together in a deeper sense, in a way we can't possibly understand. It was awe-inspiring, the way the two of them fiercely protected each other from everything they could, and the way they understood and always stood by each other.

The Infernal Devices has some of the most amazing book characters I've ever seen. I loved reading about Magnus again, because he's just so awesome. Magnus is an integral part of this book and in defeating Mortmain, which you'll find out when you read the book. I was most curious to see what Cecily would be like. And I loved her! She's so tough and brave, and I loved her incredibly stubborn and no-nonsense attitude. She's very similar to Will in some ways, but very different in others. It was sweet to see her getting close to Gabriel. Gabriel really steps up in this book. He's realized his mistakes, and he's willing to make up for them. It's hilarious how fascinated he is by Cecily! Gideon and Sophie finally get together in this book, thank goodness! I was rooting for them desperately. Sophie gets over her inhibitions, and embraces Gideon with open arms. Gideon is very protective of Sophie, and is also very in love with her. He'd do anything for her, and that is made crystal clear in this book.

Oh, and how could I forget Charlotte and Henry? The heads of the Institute, they have a lot riding on their shoulders in Clockwork Princess. Charlotte especially. She defiantly tries to prove to the Consul that she is fully capable of managing the Institute, but it gets hard for her. I love Charlotte's perseverance and her infallible love and loyalty towards the Shadowhunters under her roof. She'd happily sacrifice herself for them. Henry is as hilarious as ever, but we really see how much he loves Charlotte in this book, and how his life isn't all about inventions and machinery. Henry is another pivotal figure in defeating Mortmain. His inventions finally come through, and I was so glad about that!

There are so many quotes I want to put into this review, but they're all quite spoilery, so I can't. The beautiful writing makes you even more engrossed in this book, and makes you cry even harder at the sad scenes. The first half of the book is full of action, suspense, and drama. I loved every second of it! The plot slows a little after about halfway through, but the suspense is ever-present. Clockwork Princess overflows with brilliance! I loved the fact that all the loose ends were tied up at the end, and I got closure from the epilogue. Oh my god the epilogue. I don't want to say much about it, since I may give something away, but I will say this. It is very, very, bittersweet. It's heartbreaking and heartwarming and joyful and sorrowful all at the same time. It's the best ending I could hope for, so I'm very pleased with the way Cassandra Clare has written it. It's also very thought-provoking, and of course it brings out the waterworks. Brace yourselves for this one!

I can't express how much I loved and cherished reading this book. Not even this incredibly long and spoiler-free review can express that. I just want to say thank you to Cassandra for writing this beautiful series, and for making me fall in love with all these characters. Oh my god now my eyes are tearing up again! I will miss these characters so much. Clockwork Princess is a true masterpiece, and it will always remain close to my heart.

Rating: 5/5

10 comments:

  1. LOVE your review, Richa!

    I have one more midterm tomorrow, and I can't wait to get it over with so that I can start on CP2. This post makes me even more excited :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I can't wait for you to read it so we can discuss it :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome review sweetie :D Glad you enjoyed this book ;) I loved Clockwork Princess too. <3 Sigh. It was just perfect. Oh. Will. <3 He is just the best character :D In my opinion ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carina! I kind of agree with you! Except that I can't really pick between him and Jem ;)

      Delete
  3. This book was just absolutely amazing!!!! A perfect ending to a wonderful series. :D
    Though it didn't end the way i expected it to, it still left me so incredibly happy, yet upset at the same time.
    I have loved being a part of Jem, Tessa and Will's world, and it is sad to see the series end :(

    regards,
    monique of Lite Cubes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wee, I haven't read Infernal Devices yet!!! Ahhh, heard so many great things about it. Anyway, great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I'm still stuck on clockwork angel cus of school :( BUT IM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO FINISHING THE INFERNAL DEVICES NOW >_<

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was exactly the same for me, reading this book and realizing it is the end of a great story... I cried so hard, even after I finished the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read the Infernal devices trilogy but I didn't finish the Mortal Instruments series yet. :( Should I read the Infernal devices trilogy first or the Mortal Instruments??

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can read either series on their own, but I'd recommend reading the books in the order they released, since that's how Cassie Clare intended it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!