Friday, 22 February 2013

The Devil's Triangle Blog Tour: Review



Today I'm taking part in the blog tour for The Devil's Triangle by Toni De Palma. This is an awesome YA paranormal, and I loved it!
Click here for the full tour schedule, and don't forget to check out the other stops on the blog tour :)


When 17 year old Cooper dies in an attempt to burn down his school, he finds himself in the afterlife. Lucy, the Devil's sister who has crossed party lines, decides to give Cooper another shot at heaven. The deal? Cooper returns to Earth and has to find a girl named Grace. The rest is up to him.

While Cooper figures out his mission, he's thrown into the life he's always wanted. Great parents, a spot on the Varsity football team and a real future are all within reach. But what he really wants is Grace, a feisty girl with an abusive boyfriend who can pound Cooper into pulp if he doesn't watch out.

While Lucy plays demonic-puppeteer, clues to an unknown past between Cooper and Grace start to unravel. Cooper discovers that what's keeping him and Grace apart is far more sinister than anything this bad boy could have ever imagined.











The Devil's Triangle was a little different from what I expected, but I loved it! From the characters to the intense plot to the constant humour embedded throughout the novel. I finished this book in a day, because I just couldn't put it down! The premise was amazing and Cooper's now one of my favourite book boys.

The Devil's Triangle starts off with Cooper in heaven, about to be judged by Saint Pete and Lucy, Lucifer's (a.k.a. the devil's) sister. Lucy decided to join the good guys instead of following in her brother's footsteps. But Cooper's not sure how much he can trust her. Lucy convinces Saint Pete to give Cooper another shot, and her mission for him is to back to Earth and find a girl called Grace.

Cooper jumps at the chance of having a life again, but he soon notices a few things about it. Like how people's memories of him are just a bit too real, and how he starts to feel like he's lived that life before. He's in for a shock when he first meets Grace, a punk girl with bright pink hair. But they develop a connection, which again feels weirdly familiar to Cooper.

I really loved Cooper's character - he's funny, sarcastic to the bone, and his devil-may-care attitude (see what I did there?) is impossible to resist. Cooper's used to being a bad boy, but in his new life, he's a star. He's on the Junior Varsity football team, and has a shot at getting a scholarship. His old personality didn't abandon him completely, though, and I liked seeing that. His snarky one-liners made me laugh out loud while reading this book, and honestly he made it a lot more interesting to read. His hilarious comments about everything were awesome, but at the same time he showed a different side of him, a softer side. This side of him came out when he was around Grace, and I loved that.

We are introduced to Grace when Cooper first returns to Earth to enter his new life. She's initially quite unapproachable, and very sarcastic. She's a punk girl with piercings and a shock of pink hair. I really liked that Grace was different from most girls, though later we find out that she wasn't always like that. Underneath it all, she's actually really sensitive, and she has this immense bravery about her that's hard to ignore once you see it. It's this bravery that led to a lot of events happening, including the reason Cooper was there in the first place. Their relationship together was really sweet, despite the fact that we don't get to see much of it. I'm hoping for a lot more Grace-Cooper time in the sequel!

Ryan, Cooper's brother, is another character I really liked. He's older than Cooper, but doesn't look down on him. The opposite, in fact. He's incredibly supportive of Cooper all the time, no matter what. Ryan lost a football scholarship in high school, but he's never let that bring him down. He wants Cooper to succeed where he failed, and he's not bitter at all. That kind of unconditional love and support is really admirable to see, and it made me like Ryan all the more for it.

There are quite a few twists in this book, which I obviously won't mention, but I definitely did not see them coming. Cooper has to fight against an unknown (for most of the novel) enemy, and he realizes just how powerful that enemy is. He grows a lot over the course of the novel, and discovers a lot about himself. I guess you could say he rediscovered himself, with the help of Grace. I really like the world that Toni De Palma has created in The Devil's Triangle, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the sequel, Devil's Temptation!

*Thank you to Toni De Palma and publicist Christine Attardo for picking me for this blog tour and providing me with a copy for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!