Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Review: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

tick

tick

tick

tick

it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to 
Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.


OHMYGOD I loved this book so much! Definitely better than Shatter Me, and if this series keeps getting better then I absolutely cannot wait for book 3! Unravel Me was even better than I expected, and believe me, I had very high expectations. There was just so much in this book - fast-paced plot, loads of action, very shocking twists, and swoon-worthy romance!

I liked Juliette a lot better in this one, she really came into her element. She's a lot more dangerous and unpredictable in this book, and I found that fascinating. Her power is unbelievably immense, and no one knows just how strong she is. But despite the fact that so much has changed for her, she's still as good as she was in Shatter Me. She's still on the right path, and her newfound strength hasn't made her arrogant or vain in any way. I really felt for her in this book, because her anguish was so unbearable to see! Even I wanted to punch someone in the face when she got mad. Juliette faces a lot of dilemmas in Unravel Me, but I think she made the right choices. She's very self-sacrificing, always putting the safety of others before her, and she definitely deserves a lot more happiness in her life. Here's to hoping she gets that soon!

Adam, on the other hand, I didn't like very much in Unravel Me. I honestly loved him in Shatter Me, but he seems to have had a personality change in this one. He's too clingy, too whiny. Honestly, the number of times he begged in this book... I was quite disappointed in him. What happened to the awesome guy we met in the first book? Not to say he isn't still awesome, because he is. His love for Juliette has grown, and we see the lengths he is willing to go to, so he can be with her. I found myself feeling sorry for him a lot of times in this novel. Even though he annoyed me sometimes, I still want him to have a happy ending. Adam gets a huge revelation in this book, and it really shocked me. I was left staring at the page with my mouth hanging open, and again I felt so sorry for Adam! He really is a sweet guy, but I'm still Team Warner all the way.

Warner. The reason I read this book. Just kidding, I would have read it anyway. But Warner made it so much better! I was desperately reading this book as fast as I could just to meet Warner, and when he finally showed up, my reading pace slowed down. That first scene with him was incredibly sweet, and I knew then that I would love this book. We find out Warner's first name, and I think it really suits him! I now think of him by that name, and not Warner, because that's how he wants Juliette to think of him. And chapter 62? Oh my god. I had heard a LOT about chapter 62 before I read this book, and I think it was the most anticipated part of the book. And man, was it good! I read it as slowly as possible to drag out the moment. Let me just say that Team Adam peeps aren't going to be too happy with this scene ;)
Oh, and there's some other stuff we find out about Warner, very exciting stuff that made me very happy. Wow, I just realized how many secrets are revealed in this book!

There were so many awesome moments between Juliette and Warner, and it was nice to see them talking to each other normally, like friends, slowly getting to know one another. It's like the events in Shatter Me didn't even happen, because they've moved past it. There's this one quote I found hilarious - 

“Do you like Shakespeare?” he asks me.
An odd segue.
I shake my head. “All I know about him is that he stole my name and spelled it wrong.”
You don't normally find Juliette making jokes, so this was quite unexpected. And I think it shows that maybe Warner brings out the best in her. With Adam, she's usually quiet and sad and self-loathing, but with Warner she's actually normal. And yeah, Juliette is meant to be with Warner, I don't care what anyone else says!

“I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with."

I mean seriously, how can you not love this guy?? Okay, enough of Warner... for now.

Kenji is the humourous reprieve in this somewhat serious book. Seriously, he had me laughing at so many parts, since he makes jokes at totally inappropriate moments. He really reminds me of Roar from Veronica Rossi's Under the Never Sky series. If you've read that, I think you would agree with me. Kenji is easy-going and very smooth, but he does show a lot of wisdom in this book. He keeps Juliette grounded, and I quite liked the pep talks he gave her. I never thought Kenji could be so intense! I really want a novella from his point of view, because I'd love to get inside his head. Even though Kenji is the easiest to talk to, no one knows much about him or his past. And that's the Kenji I want to know.

Nothing will ever be the same again.
Man, is Juliette right when she thinks this! Unravel Me changes a lot of things in the series, and puts some perspective into them. The war is near, and the people of Omega Point are as ready as they'll ever be. With Warner's dad heading the Reestablishment, things are looking grim. But Omega Point has something that the Reestablishment doesn't - Juliette. And they'll use her to gain the upper hand.

Tahereh Mafi's writing is, of course, beautiful as always. The words flowed off the pages so smoothly, kind of like butter. And the strike-throughs were still there, though less than in Shatter Me. I liked seeing those there, because they tell you a lot more than the actual words do. There's this one quote that really got to me, and I applaud Tahereh for writing it this way because it has that much more of an impact.

What I really want to say is who the hell are you and who are you to decide who gets to die. Who are you to decide who should be killed. Who are you to tell me which father I should destroy and which child I should orphan and which mother should be left without her son, which brother should be left without a sister, which grandmother should spend the rest of her life crying in the early hours of the morning because the body of her grandchild was buried in the ground before her own.
This amazing writing on its own is enough to make me love this book, and it's just so emotional! Unravel Me on the whole is a fantastic sequel to Shatter Me, and it set the scene perfectly for the final book. I honestly don't think I can wait a whole year to find out how Juliette's story ends! I want to read this book over and over again until I get book 3, and I know I won't get bored. Not with this epic plot and awesome characters and elegant writing.

Rating: 5/5


1 comment:

  1. I love Unravel me,it's much better than Shatter me.
    I totally agree with about your review.
    And guys Warner it's so amazing in this book,but i think he appears so little and don't know. I love since the first book,and he changes in Unravel me. More intense than ever,and more #HOTSEX;*sighs*.
    About Adam,he's not the right for her,it's just an infantil love and he's so boring. I like him but he's not the guy for her. It's never about him and waht they felt,and think it's more friendship.
    And the end it's so so so intense. And want,need the third book,i can't wait.
    People read Destroy me and love Warner.I love his name,so cute.
    Warner&Juliette

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!