Sunday, 24 February 2013

Review: Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Amy and Elder have finally left the oppressive walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind. They're ready to start life afresh--to build a home--on Centauri-Earth, the planet that Amy has traveled 25 trillion miles across the universe to experience.

But this new Earth isn't the paradise Amy had been hoping for. There are giant pterodactyl-like birds, purple flowers with mind-numbing toxins, and mysterious, unexplained ruins that hold more secrets than their stone walls first let on. The biggest secret of all? 
Godspeed's former passengers aren't alone on this planet. And if they're going to stay, they'll have to fight.

Amy and Elder must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together. They will have to look inward to the very core of what makes them human on this, their most harrowing journey yet. Because if the colony collapses? Then everything they have sacrificed--friends, family, life on Earth--will have been for nothing.

FUELED BY LIES.
RULED BY CHAOS.
ALMOST HOME.



I can't believe it took me so long to write this review, considering I finished the book a little over a month ago. But better late than never, right? I still remember every little detail about Shades of Earth, so I think it's totally fine for me to write a review now. This book totally blew me away. It's completely different from the previous two novels, so different that it seems like another world! And it is, sort of. Amy and Elder have finally landed on Centauri-Earth, and they have no idea what to expect. What they find there will change their lives forever.

When I first found out the cover had changed, I was really mad. And disappointed. I loved the covers of Across the Universe and A Million Suns, and I was really looking forward to seeing how the cover of this book was going to be. But now I see why this was done. Shades of Earth is sort of a departure form what we see in the previous books. In those, everything happened inside Godspeed, but now there's a whole new environment. One filled with jungles and wilderness and mysterious beasts. This cover really fits the novel!

When they touch down on Centauri-Earth, Amy immediately rushes off to unfreeze her parents from the cryo chambers. The landing didn't go quite as well as expected, and there are a lot of injured people. But now that the military people from Sol-Earth are awake, they want to take charge. They scorn Elder as a leader because of his young age, and he resents that. Since Amy's father is the leader of the military, there's a lot of tension between him and Elder. And this, of course, creates tension between Elder and Amy. Their relationship has a lot of ups and downs in this book because of the situation. I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the love triangle, but thank goodness it wasn't a big thing in this novel.

Amy has a lot of responsibility in this book, and I think she handled it very well. She's ecstatic to have her parents back, but at the same time she's worried about what it means for her and Elder. She still loves him, but their feelings have to take a backseat while they deal with the situation on Centauri-Earth. Amy always felt that she loved Elder because there was no one else. Now there's a new guy, Chris. She struggles with his interest in her, and her muddled up feelings. I liked how supportive she was to everyone during chaotic situations, and how she tried so hard to calm everyone down. She has great leadership qualities in her, it's easy for people to listen to her. She's also a lot wiser than she ever was before, and we can see that in this book. This, I think, is my favourite quote from the book -
I learned that life is so, so fragile. I learned that you can know someone for just days and never forget the impression he left on you. I learned that art can be beautiful and sad at the same time. I learned that if someone loves you, he'll wait for you to love him back. I learned that how much you want something doesn't determine whether you get it or not, that "no" might not be enough, that life isn't fair, that my parents can't save me, that maybe no one can.
Amy goes through a lot in Shades of Earth, so much more than what she had in Across the Universe and A Million Suns. A lot of things in this book change her forever, and she becomes all the more stronger because of it.

Elder really grows a lot in Shades of Earth. He has to take care of his people as well as establish his place on Centauri Earth. Amy's dad, Colonel Martin, doesn't believe Elder is a good leader. He tries to overrule him on everything, and Elder hates that. He doesn't get much respect from the people from Sol-Earth, and I really felt for him throughout this book. On top of that, Elder worries about his relationship with Amy, that he's losing her to Chris. He makes a lot of sacrifices in this book, and they show just how good and selfless he is. Everything he does is for his people and for Amy, and his unwavering loyalty is so admirable. His love for Amy is incredible. I love reading from Elder's point of view, because  his feelings for Amy are so deep, so sincere.
It's hard to think about all the bad when she reminds me of all that's good.
I might have the whole world now, but it's not enough if I don't get to share it with her. 
After reading reviews of Shades of Earth before picking it up, I was scared to read it. All of them said that Beth Revis isn't afraid to kill people off, and man, is that true! So many people die in this book that I honestly cannot keep track of it. It just shows how dangerous a planet they've stumbled upon, but despite that they do their best to make Centauri-Earth their home. This book is so heartbreaking, so intense. Most of it is like a movie running through your head - the visual imagery is great and the pacing is perfect. In fact, I've never read a book that had such amazing pacing. Every chapter makes you want to turn the page immediately. It's like a drug!

With this book, nothing is what you expect. I really mean that. There are so many twists in this book, so many shocking revelations. It's amazing! I loved every second of it. Shades of Earth is a perfect ending to the Across the Universe trilogy, and I'm really happy with how Beth Revis tied up all the strings. It was incredible to be a part of Amy and Elder's journey for three years, and I was so devastated to let them go. I would give this book a million stars if I could, it was just that amazing! I cannot wait to see what else Beth Revis has got in store for us after this heart-shattering trilogy.

Rating: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked it, it was an amazing read indeed! I also look forward to more books from Revis :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!